Notifications
Clear all

Hello Fellow Acne Sufferers

MemberMember
(@skinnylove89)

Posted : 02/27/2013 11:19 am

Hi there!

First off, I would like to say that if you're reading this, you are probably suffering with acne. I am really sorry that you are going through this, I really wouldn't wish it on anyone. I would also like to say that I am really excited to be part of a community that understands what I am going through, and I look forward to gaining some new friends.

My name is Chelsea, I am 23 years old, and I have been battling relatively severe cystic acne/bacne for almost 6 years. I have tried everything under the sun: OTC cleansers, antibiotics, OCM, Proactiv, water only, birth control, holistic/natural products, tanning, Retin-A, the list goes on and on. In 2010, I began using Accutane. It definitely cleared up my acne, I got so many compliments and I was so relieved that this horrible battle was over. Unfortunately, my acne relapsed after about a year of being off Accutane. I couldn't start another round because I was pregnant with my daughter. I have an appointment with my dermatologist in about a month to go back on Accutane. I am pretty desperate at this point, and I personally believe the benefits outweigh the risks.

I am giving a last ditch effort of trying to clear up my skin before I go on Accutane, by going on a raw food diet. I have been a vegetarian for about 6 years, so the transition should be fairly easy for me. I am currently on day 2 and I feel great. You would think that vegetarians would be pretty healthy, but I have been doing a pretty crappy job of balancing my diet. I eat waaaay too many carbs, and not nearly enough whole fruits/veggies and natural produce. My health has deteriorated rapidly in the past 5 years. Along with acne, I have fibromyalgia, depression, anxiety, and fatigue. I am hoping that by getting down to basics on the raw food diet, I will be able to clear up some of my medical issues and rule out certain foods that may be causing my issues. If I see considerable progress after my month long trial, I will most likely incorporate the raw food diet into my lifestyle, and hopefully be able to avoid going on Accutane again. Fingers crossed!

Anyway, a little more about me, I have been married for almost 3 years. I have two kids (daughter: 1.5 and son: 6 years old), they are my whole world. I used to work as a CNA on an organ transplant unit, but I am currently a stay at home mom. I look forward to getting my nursing degree in the future. I absolutely love working with people, and I find healthcare to be really interesting and rewarding. I am a bit of a hippie at heart, I believe in taking care of our planet and its beautiful creatures. I am pretty easy going and down to earth. I love doing crafts, drawing, making jewelry. I would lose my mind without music, it's my therapy. I have a really eclectic taste, I really do passionately love all kinds of music.

There is so much more to me than acne, but I have definitely let it stunt my personal growth. I usually try to avoid going out in public, and when I do, I wear a lot of makeup, which also makes me feel uncomfortable. Acne can definitely be pretty isolating, and again, I'm really excited to have support in this community and make new friends.