Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Ever Had Erbium Laser Treatment?

MemberMember
(@rahip4567)

Posted : 02/26/2013 10:24 pm

I have a appointment with a plastic surgeon to see if there is anything that can be done to help removing my acne scars. This visit will be a second opinion since I went to a dermatologist a couple days ago to only find out he doesn't recommend any treatments for helping me remove my acne scars because my skin to too "dark".

So I did some research and asked a question on realself.com and was told by the surgeons there that they would recommend C02 fractional laser surgery or Erbium laser surgery. They only made suggestions after posting pictures of my scars.

My question is that has anyone ever gotten any of those treatments and how much did it cost you?

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 02/27/2013 1:24 am

I have a appointment with a plastic surgeon to see if there is anything that can be done to help removing my acne scars. This visit will be a second opinion since I went to a dermatologist a couple days ago to only find out he doesn't recommend any treatments for helping me remove my acne scars because my skin to too "dark".

So I did some research and asked a question on realself.com and was told by the surgeons there that they would recommend C02 fractional laser surgery or Erbium laser surgery. They only made suggestions after posting pictures of my scars.

My question is that has anyone ever gotten any of those treatments and how much did it cost you?

I've had erbium. It is more gentle to the skin compared to CO2 and has less risk. As with CO2, there are total ablative Erbium lasers and fractional. Fractional of course is safer.

One thing to keep in mind no laser will remove your acne scars. You have to realize that now otherwise you will be very disappointed after your treatment. Acne scars are pretty much a life long battle, you can only help improve their appearance. Unless you have very superficial scarring.

Fractional erbium such as Pixel is very low down time, and you heal fast. CO2 fractional on the other hand is more intense.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@rahip4567)

Posted : 02/27/2013 11:02 pm

I've had erbium. It is more gentle to the skin compared to CO2 and has less risk. As with CO2, there are total ablative Erbium lasers and fractional. Fractional of course is safer.

One thing to keep in mind no laser will remove your acne scars. You have to realize that now otherwise you will be very disappointed after your treatment. Acne scars are pretty much a life long battle, you can only help improve their appearance. Unless you have very superficial scarring.

Fractional erbium such as Pixel is very low down time, and you heal fast. CO2 fractional on the other hand is more intense.

Good luck

Well I'm just looking to see if some of the scars I have can be reduced to a point where they aren't that visible when talking to a person in front of a cash register. Did your scars improve or did you have to go back for more then one session?

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 02/28/2013 12:44 am

Well I'm just looking to see if some of the scars I have can be reduced to a point where they aren't that visible when talking to a person in front of a cash register. Did your scars improve or did you have to go back for more then one session?

I don't know how severe or deep your scars are, so I couldn't really say what kind of results you can expect. However, when talking to someone in front of a cash register, you are practically face to face....and if you have deep scars and you think after one erbium laser treatment someone standing that close to you will no longer see your scars, then you are setting yourself up for major disappointment. There are people who have had several treatments of the stronger CO2 and have gotten minimal results.

To answer your last question, my scars did not vastly improve after just 1 laser treatment.

MemberMember
(@rahip4567)

Posted : 02/28/2013 10:12 pm

I don't know how severe or deep your scars are, so I couldn't really say what kind of results you can expect. However, when talking to someone in front of a cash register, you are practically face to face....and if you have deep scars and you think after one erbium laser treatment someone standing that close to you will no longer see your scars, then you are setting yourself up for major disappointment. There are people who have had several treatments of the stronger CO2 and have gotten minimal results.

To answer your last question, my scars did not vastly improve after just 1 laser treatment.

well here is a link to a thread i posted for possible treatments for my scars.

I have some deep looking scars and when I meet the surgeon I will be asking about subcision treatments as well. Also how much did it cost you?

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 03/01/2013 1:50 am

I have some deep looking scars and when I meet the surgeon I will be asking about subcision treatments as well. Also how much did it cost you?

I looked at that link you included. You wrote about your nose, I don't see any scars on your nose, I see normal pores on your nose that every human being has. Don't think about them or consume your time worrying about treating them, they are normal.

As for the scars on your cheeks, you could possibly have several options. First thing I notice is redness at the scars. Vbeam will help reduce this redness, and dramatically reduce the appearance of the scars when the color normalizes. You can also look into TCA peels, (not tca cross). I think a TCA peel performed by a doctor may help normalize the coloring and help improve the texture. You can also look into fractional erbium. You may also get away with fractional co2 if the doctor is super skilled, uses a safe setting, and you prep your skin well in advance with hydroquinone to reduce the severity of laser induced hyperpigmentation. Of course I'm not a doctor, I'm just giving my personal opinion. Ask a doctor about these possibilities.

Also, stay out of the sun if you can. It will help reduce the redness and pigment in the scars.

Try using alpha hydrox products at night or retinoids, they will both help exfoliate and help balance the coloring (although if you over use them you can turn more red and irritated looking).

MemberMember
(@rahip4567)

Posted : 03/01/2013 11:19 am

I looked at that link you included. You wrote about your nose, I don't see any scars on your nose, I see normal pores on your nose that every human being has. Don't think about them or consume your time worrying about treating them, they are normal.

As for the scars on your cheeks, you could possibly have several options. First thing I notice is redness at the scars. Vbeam will help reduce this redness, and dramatically reduce the appearance of the scars when the color normalizes. You can also look into TCA peels, (not tca cross). I think a TCA peel performed by a doctor may help normalize the coloring and help improve the texture. You can also look into fractional erbium. You may also get away with fractional co2 if the doctor is super skilled, uses a safe setting, and you prep your skin well in advance with hydroquinone to reduce the severity of laser induced hyperpigmentation. Of course I'm not a doctor, I'm just giving my personal opinion. Ask a doctor about these possibilities.

Also, stay out of the sun if you can. It will help reduce the redness and pigment in the scars.

Try using alpha hydrox products at night or retinoids, they will both help exfoliate and help balance the coloring (although if you over use them you can turn more red and irritated looking).

I'm not worried about my nose and when I said nose, I was basically talking about the skin that's on the side of my nose.