Notifications
Clear all

Fermented Cod Liver Oil Saftey?

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 02/26/2013 3:56 pm

This past September, I finally found the missing piece to my acne puzzle. I am still using BP and Tazorac but the addition of Blue Ice Royal from Green Pasture (combination of Fermented Cod Liver Oil and High Vitamin Butter Oil) has eliminated painful cysts, nodules, papules, and pustules that I was still getting even while sticking to my topical regimen. The odd pimple that I get now is small and is gone in 3 days or so. My face is less oily as well.

I am moreso asking about people's opinions on this product's safety as opposed to touting it as some kinda cure as all of our bodies are different and have different needs. This may do nothing for other people's acne. The nutrition knowledge here seems to be extensive and I am sure that this product has been studied. I have done my research but am a bit unconvinced so I'd love some more opinions.

Reading around the web, there is a lot of warnings about cod liver oil and the dangers because of the high vitamin A content. The kind that I am using is Fermented and "apparently" different and safer as it is not made with high heat. The vitamins are not synthetically added back in either as they are in other brands such as Carlson. This makes the ratio of Vitamin A and Vitamin D correct which is again "apparently" protective. It is sold as a food as opposed to a supplement as well.

http://www.westonaprice.org/cod-liver-oil/cod-liver-oil-basics discusses a lot about this and the misconceptions about Vitamin A toxicity. Here is a quote:

"

Vitamin A Dosage

We have pointed out that concerns about vitamin A toxicity are exaggerated. While some forms of synthetic vitamin A found in supplements can be toxic at only moderately high doses, fat-soluble vitamin A naturally found in foods like cod liver oil, liver, and butterfat is safe at up to ten times the doses of water-soluble, solidified and emulsified vitamin A found in some supplements that produce toxicity.(1) Additionally, the vitamin D found in cod liver oil and butterfat from pasture-raised animals protects against vitamin A toxicity, and allows one to consume a much higher amount of vitamin A before it becomes toxic.(

"

Even with that, I am still worried about the Vitamin A that I am taking in as this is just 1 source. It seems like from the dosage that I am taking that I am getting about 10,000 IU of Vitamin A daily and 1,300 IU of Vitamin D. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 02/27/2013 6:41 am

This may help alleviate your worries. I don't think vitamin A from cod liver oil is a concern, as long as you get enough other fat-soluble vitamins like D and K.

You should get vitamin D from the sun, but if you can't get it naturally then supplementing around 2000IU a day may be good idea (or more than 2000IU, although the research behind vitamin D is so inconsistent and new that it's hard to say what is safe and what isn't). You can get vitamin K from bone broth, leafy greens, and cheese off the top of my head.

By the way, your cod liver oil does sound rather excellent. I'm starting to wonder if I should order it instead of the one I use from the nearby pharmacy. I've no idea if the vitamins in mine are synthetically added or not, probably are.

I also used to get around 10000IU of vitamin A back when I followed my micronutrients more carefully. It does sound like a lot, but if you make sure you get enough of vitamin D and K, it shouldn't be an issue.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 02/27/2013 11:09 am

Hey man, you told me about this cod liver oil stuff via PM a while ago, remember? I've had it on my list of things to try ever since, just waiting until I can save up some money to get it (had to spend all my money on supplies for the regimen).

Is something now making you question its safety? Or are you just randomly wondering?

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 02/27/2013 2:40 pm

Hey man, you told me about this cod liver oil stuff via PM a while ago, remember? I've had it on my list of things to try ever since, just waiting until I can save up some money to get it (had to spend all my money on supplies for the regimen).

Is something now making you question its safety? Or are you just randomly wondering?

Yea I remember telling you about it. It's good that you are gonna give it a try as it has helped me and a few of my friends with our chronic adult acne. It is expensive though and a bottle lasts about 48 days at the dosage I take per day. Well worth it for me though and I give up other things to afford it.

I am only questioning the safety because I was looking up diet advice as my eating is terrible now (I still stay clear in spite of that and can eat whatever I want. I want to eat a bit healthier for other reasons though). On one of the sites, someone asked about cod liver oil and the editor of the site answered the question talking about concerns about cod liver oil. I searched some more sources and others mentioned the risk of too much vitamin A in the majority of cod liver products on the market. Many of them are made using different methods than the Green Pasture brand and do not take into account correct Vitamin A and Vitamin D ratios though. I have not experienced anything negative after almost 6 months now of taking it everyday. My skin is less oily but I am not experiencing things such as dry lips or dry skin that is associated with Accutane and high doses of synthetic vitamin A.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 02/27/2013 3:03 pm

I just noticed that your cod liver oil also has butter oil, which is supposedly a very good source of vitamin K. So I really wouldn't worry. It's good to hear you've got results with it. I think I may be switching to Blue Ice Royal myself.

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 02/27/2013 4:09 pm

I just noticed that your cod liver oil also has butter oil, which is supposedly a very good source of vitamin K. So I really wouldn't worry. It's good to hear you've got results with it. I think I may be switching to Blue Ice Royal myself.

The butter oil is supposed to help with the absorption of the cod liver oil as well as provide vitamin K to help balance out the ratios. The price is hard to get over as I realize it is going to cost me about $400 a year but if you can get past that I would give it a try. The results really start after about 2 weeks in and by about week 5 I was clear. Either its a coincidence that my acne went into remission after 13 years or there is something to this. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 02/27/2013 11:58 pm

The butter oil is supposed to help with the absorption of the cod liver oil as well as provide vitamin K to help balance out the ratios. The price is hard to get over as I realize it is going to cost me about $400 a year but if you can get past that I would give it a try. The results really start after about 2 weeks in and by about week 5 I was clear. Either its a coincidence that my acne went into remission after 13 years or there is something to this. Good luck.

How much do you take each day? You do use the gel, I assume? I tried ordering it yesterday, but shipping to Europe would've cost 90$ from the Green Pasture website. I'll have to see if there's some other store where to buy it.

And 400$ a year just for cod liver oil is a lot. I don't know if I could afford that, but I'll get one bottle at least and see how it goes.

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 02/28/2013 1:30 am

How much do you take each day? You do use the gel, I assume? I tried ordering it yesterday, but shipping to Europe would've cost 90$ from the Green Pasture website. I'll have to see if there's some other store where to buy it.

And 400$ a year just for cod liver oil is a lot. I don't know if I could afford that, but I'll get one bottle at least and see how it goes.

I use the gel in cinnamon tingle flavor. It actually isn't bad at all. I just put it on my tongue and drink warm water. I take 1/2 tsp in the morning and 1/2 tsp at night. Yea that shipping cost is rough. I know a few other sites sell it if you Google it. The shipping could be better from other sources such as Amazon.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 04/21/2013 5:22 am

Just wanted to say that I've now ordered Blue Ice Royal from red23.co.uk. I've taken it for a few days now, and quite like it.

Before Blue Ice Royal, I took regular cod liver oil for about a month. I had a sudden onset of breakouts after I quit antibiotics (which weren't even helping), and I was desperate to stop them somehow. So I took around 2-3 table spoons of cod liver oil on a daily basis during that month. It seemed to make a difference, I have noticeably fewer and milder breakouts now even though my diet and stress levels are more or less the same. But I was concerned that it might have too much vitamin A and omega 3 fatty acids, so I decreased the amount to one teaspoon a couple of weeks ago. Now that I'm taking a high-vitamin cod liver oil (Blue Ice Royal), I only take half a teaspoon. I didn't notice an increase in breakouts after I cut down, so it seems to be an adequate amount.

I had a blood test done recently, which was otherwise normal except for mild thrombocytopenia. I'm fairly sure it was caused by the high amount of cod liver oil I was taking - so I was indeed taking too much! I looked into it, and found out that omega 3 fatty acids could affect the number of thrombocytes and their function, and thus cause thrombocytopenia. I don't think the amounts I was taking are necessarily safe for long-term use. From now on I'll stick to 1 teaspoon a day at the most.