Notifications
Clear all

Acne Is Back After Accutane, And I'm Really Depressed.

MemberMember
(@crubama)

Posted : 02/26/2013 2:50 pm

Hi, this is my first post here. I'm a 17 (18 next month) years old boy who had pretty severe acne. However, after dealing with it for almost a year and a half i got prescribed accutane. I had been on accutane for 10 months, as i finished last july. I really thought it was a miracle, my face was completely clean, and i only had the scars, that i planned to treat this winter. However, my acne has come back. Since december, i started to have little breakouts that didn't really bother me. After christmas my face gotten worse, it's been getting really oily and dirty since then, so i started with the regimen. But this last three weeks my face has completely changed to the worst (not like pre-accutane, but quite bad). I went to the dermatologist and put me on doxycycline for two months (I'm not taking it since i've been told that when it's done the breakouts will be much worse), as they won't put me on accutane again (even though i didn't even reach the right dosis 6800/7800 mg)

So here i am, i don't know what to do, i'm so depressed, i don't wanna leave home, and i need to get really high marks this year, but i can't study, i can't stop thinking about my acne, i've been crying for days. I really don't know what to do, i have the healthiest diet, drink 2l of water everyday, clean my face twice a day, don't smoke or drink alcohol, i don't exercise much though (but i do exercise a bit).

I know that i just have mild to moderate acne now, but I just start thinking how everything is gonna evolve, and if my acne will be worse than before or if it will ever fade away (i know it's genetic, i got it from my dad, who still has to deal sometimes with cystic acne), i don't know, i think i just lost the hope. I really feel this stupid thing is taking my "best years" away, i want my skin to be like it was just a few months ago, but i can't help to be so self conscious, i just can't.

I don't know what i'm gonna do, but now i have my acne back + mild depression + all the stress because of the marks, and there are moments when i just wanna jump off the window, and i'm not even joking.

MemberMember
(@kate75)

Posted : 02/26/2013 3:32 pm

I had Accutane prescribed to me about 10 years ago. Like you I thought it was a miracle drug that would finally end the misery that acne causes. My skin was clear for the first couple of months and then slowly but surely the acne started to creep back. I was really distraught as I had been told by the Dermatologist that Accutane was a 'cure'. Maybe for some people it is but it definitely wasn't for me. I went back to my doctor and told her my acne had come back but all she would prescribe was antibiotics!! I had already spent many years working my way through the A - Z of antibiotics and none of them helped me either. Like you, my diet has been super healthy for years but changing my diet around and cutting out certain foods while increasing in others also did nothing for me but leave me at a total loss.

I stumbled across this website in 2007 and following the regimen has helped me a lot. I was highly sceptical at first but I figured after trying everything else out there I had nothing to lose. I am not 100% clear on the regimen either but it has helped me significantly. It is really difficult sometimes with all the dryness but to be honest I prefer dry skin to acne any day. I would give the regimen a try (that is if you haven't done so already).

Also, do not throw yourself out of any windows. I do totally understand how you feel. I still struggle with these thoughts after 25 years of this but you have your whole life ahead of you to find the treatment that will help you. You are also young enough to still outgrow acne - it may not even be an issue for you by this time next year.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/03/2013 6:43 pm

I had Accutane prescribed to me about 10 years ago. Like you I thought it was a miracle drug that would finally end the misery that acne causes. My skin was clear for the first couple of months and then slowly but surely the acne started to creep back. I was really distraught as I had been told by the Dermatologist that Accutane was a 'cure'. Maybe for some people it is but it definitely wasn't for me. I went back to my doctor and told her my acne had come back but all she would prescribe was antibiotics!! I had already spent many years working my way through the A - Z of antibiotics and none of them helped me either. Like you, my diet has been super healthy for years but changing my diet around and cutting out certain foods while increasing in others also did nothing for me but leave me at a total loss.

I stumbled across this website in 2007 and following the regimen has helped me a lot. I was highly sceptical at first but I figured after trying everything else out there I had nothing to lose. I am not 100% clear on the regimen either but it has helped me significantly. It is really difficult sometimes with all the dryness but to be honest I prefer dry skin to acne any day. I would give the regimen a try (that is if you haven't done so already).

Also, do not throw yourself out of any windows. I do totally understand how you feel. I still struggle with these thoughts after 25 years of this but you have your whole life ahead of you to find the treatment that will help you. You are also young enough to still outgrow acne - it may not even be an issue for you by this time next year.

Obviously your acne wasn't all that "severe" if you responded to a topical regimen as severe acne is impervious to topical products and forms under neath the skin where creams and gels can't "get to". I swear some people exaggerate the severity of their acne on this forum, as they all claim to be responsive to "the regimen". Truly cystic acne doesn't get better despite whatever you put on your face to try to treat it, it is incorrigible.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/03/2013 8:21 pm

Look into supplements zinc, vitamin d, b5, saw palmetto etc. See if that helps.

MemberMember
(@kate75)

Posted : 03/04/2013 1:16 pm

Obviously your acne wasn't all that "severe" if you responded to a topical regimen as severe acne is impervious to topical products and forms under neath the skin where creams and gels can't "get to". I swear some people exaggerate the severity of their acne on this forum, as they all claim to be responsive to "the regimen". Truly cystic acne doesn't get better despite whatever you put on your face to try to treat it, it is incorrigible.

Normally I wouldn't lower myself to respond to the likes of you but this one time I will. You know nothing about me or the severity of my acne. I've probably had this problem since before you were even born. Don't come on this forum and talk down to me like that. I did not say I was 100% clear with topicals I said the regimen has improved my acne. There are plenty of people on here who have seen IMPROVEMENT for SEVERE acne. If you can't say something helpful to the OP then it's better to say nothing at all rather than attack other people.

No doubt you will retaliate with another one of your nasty little comments - I will ignore it because I KNOW I am better than someone like you.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/04/2013 1:23 pm

Retaliate? no,no,no. I'm only saying truly nodular cystic acne does NOT "respond" to topical therapy as it is very deep in there and literally one forms after the other (based upon hormonal chemistry). It's unstoppable - I had it.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 03/05/2013 11:51 am

Sorry but this is incorrect. Dan's regimen has been shown to help all types of acne, including severe cysts and nodules. It has helped mine quite a bit also. Everyone has their own definition of what "severe" acne is, but I would consider severe acne anything that causes a significant amount of physical pain (for example, mine makes it difficult to eat, laugh, talk or do anything else that requires me to move my face), anything that involves cysts or nodules, or any acne that covers a large portion of the face or body.

MemberMember
(@lightersup)

Posted : 03/05/2013 2:05 pm

Topical Benzoyl Peroxide helped my cystic acne, deep under the skin blemishes, but over the course of several weeks. There isn't a quick fix for cystic acne and you also need to rely on your body to combat the infection, which doesn't happen overnight.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/05/2013 4:31 pm

Sorry but this is incorrect. Dan's regimen has been shown to help all types of acne, including severe cysts and nodules. It has helped mine quite a bit also. Everyone has their own definition of what "severe" acne is, but I would consider severe acne anything that causes a significant amount of physical pain (for example, mine makes it difficult to eat, laugh, talk or do anything else that requires me to move my face), anything that involves cysts or nodules, or any acne that covers a large portion of the face or body.

The type of cystic acne I used to get (especially around that time of the month) was those big "underground pimples" (nodules) and absolutely nothing I put on them - whether it was prescription Benzoyl peroxide or Retin-A would heal or prevent them from forming. I belive these types of pimples form in the 6th or 7th layer of the skin and really are impervious. They felt like tumors - harder than a damn rock. I think the regimen is great for mild to moderate acne or any kind of pimples with a head but with "undergrounds" - no such luck.

MemberMember
(@jmtm18017)

Posted : 03/09/2013 7:19 pm

If you are like me (I am in my 30s, female) you might have to go on it more than once.

I quickly broke out after I finished my first course of Accutane. I went through my second course three years later and have been relatively clear for almost six months after stopping. I would have started the second course of Accutane sooner had I not moved to another state (in the US) and had to get another dermatologist.

If I had to go on it again, I would in a heart beat. When my acne is severe, no topical over the counter treatment or antibiotic works. My skin is somewhat dry and sensitive on the outside and I develop hard tiny cysts underneath that never disappear or heal.

Perhaps you need another dermatologist who is willing to prescribe it to you? The first dermatologist I had seen as a teenager never prescribed or offered Accutane to me, whereas the second two I had as an adult did.