Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin D3 Safe Long Term?

MemberMember
(@berserk)

Posted : 02/26/2013 9:44 am

Did anyone had any side effects from it or smthing? I only tried zinc 3 years ago but stoped because it seemed pointless. I dont really plan to overdose, just wanna take as recommended.

From what I read on these forums, appears to me that vitamin d3 is the smartest choice, supplement wise... is it? Im not for using more supplements at the same time, megadosing etc and interfere too much with my overall health like some desperate people here do and Im not looking for magic cure cause I learned that every treatment have its price to pay and the price go up with quantity. I just want something that can make at least some beneficial difference when it comes to acne and maybe health in general. Is d3 way to go, or should I try something else (if its safer and more potent).

Cheers.

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 03/04/2013 1:17 pm

I think when it comes to medical advice like this really you should speak to your doctor, if you research vitamin D its hard to overdose to the point of toxicity (you have to take a LOT over a few months to even get symptoms) but everyone is different and you should take the facts you read on here with a pinch of salt

from wikipedia: "In healthy adults, sustained intake of more than 1250 micrograms/day (50,000 IU) can produce overt toxicity after several monthsIn healthy adults, sustained intake of more than 1250 micrograms/day (50,000 IU) can produce overt toxicity after several months"

Most people on here take around 1,000 IU, which is a far cry from 50,000. It should be safe if you have no other known or underlying medical conditions

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 03/04/2013 2:36 pm

Your body produces 50,000 IU of D3 in noonday sunlight pretty easily.

Of course the key difference is your body can shut off D3 production when it's from the sun. It can't stop itself from absorbing pills.

D3 pills are definitely safe long-term provided you don't overdose.

In the winter, I supplement about 5,000 - 10,000 IU a day. Definitely makes a difference in my mood and energy levels.