Notifications
Clear all

Does Mineral Makeup Cause Acne

MemberMember
(@samui)

Posted : 02/26/2013 9:03 am

Hi All

I am interested to hear if anyone here thinks that their mineral makeup causes acne and makes them break out.

I know that mineral makeup is often touted as being non comodogenic because of it's ingrdients but I have been finding that after a few days use of several different types of powder mineral makeup I've tried I still get some very nasty spots.

I just wonder if because mineral makeup has such fine particles these actually settle more within the pores, mix with natural oils and clog pores. I have also read differing opinions on whether mica (often main component of mineral makeup) is really non comodogenic.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

MemberMember
(@marniemarie)

Posted : 02/27/2013 1:07 am

There are a few culprits in some mineral makeup brands that while technically non-comedogenic can often irritate sensitive skin. Cornstarch is in a lot of them (sometimes called Zea-Mays starch in cosmetics) and is not technically a pore-clogger but acts as a food source for acne bacteria which can aggravate breakouts. Mica and Talc I have heard are often irritating as well and are both super common. Also mineral oil is often included (it's in most BareMinerals products) and although it's technically non-comedogenic because the skin doesn't absorb it, some people find it clogs them anyways. Personally I have no problems with certain highly comedogenic ingredients (SLS, coconut oil, etc) but the mineral oil in BareMinerals made my acne worse for years. I know there was also Ethylhexyl Palmitate (rated a 4/5 on the comedogenic ingredients list) in my very expensive Elizabeth Arden loose powder.

That being said, mineral makeups can be great- theres a million out there, and you may just want to narrow down the list by figuring out which particular ingredients are breaking you out. Always check the ingredients regardless of whether it says non-comedogenic or not (the regulations for that label are slim to none). One of those is probably the culprit!

Also, remember that acne doesn't get better overnight, and makeup rarely improves acne, it usually is just neutral- non pore clogging, non-irritating, and causes no new breakouts. If your old makeup was super comedogenic switching to mineral powder may be a great step, but it could take a while to see a change.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/27/2013 8:24 pm

You have to be careful of what mineral makeup you use because some companies who make mineral makeup like powders still have bad things in them so they are no better for you (i think the covergirl mineral power powder or whoever makes it? has those bad ingredients in it, so does pur minerals). The best mineral makeup you can buy is Jane Iredale. Also the physicians formula mineral wear powders are safe too

MemberMember
(@samui)

Posted : 02/28/2013 5:55 am

Thanks for your replies.

I've checked the ingredients again on the mineral powder I am using at the moment (Body Shop Extra Virgin Minerals) and the only ingredients are

Mica (Opacifier), Titanium Dioxide (Sunscreen), Kaolin (Absorbent), Illite (Anticaking Agent). [+/- CI 77492 (Colour), CI 77491 (Colour), CI 77499 (Colour), CI 77891 (Colour)].

I am not sure what ingredient is the problem but I am pretty sure it is the makeup causing the acne as it only normally flares up after about 3-4 days of continuous usage. No makeup seems to equal no acne.

MemberMember
(@raineangel)

Posted : 09/23/2013 4:22 pm

Has anyone tried products from Mirabella Beauty *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. * I would love to know if they won't cause my acne to breakout again.

MemberMember
(@calumma)

Posted : 09/24/2013 1:20 am

Mica can be a problem and worsen acne. The use of the kabuki brush was also irritating my face a lot

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 09/26/2013 6:54 pm

Lots of mineral makeup contains bismuth oxychloride which you should definitely stay away from as it can cause cystic breakouts