Hi Guys!

MemberMember
(@loretta-webb)

Posted : 02/26/2013 7:10 am

Hi everyone, I'm Loretta, I'm 24 from the Uk. And for nearly 2 years acne has been the Bain of my life. I had clear skin all the way up until after my wedding in 2011. My doctor put me on the mini pill contraceptive then an implanon in my arm and literally overnight (I kid you not) the whole left side of my face was covered in cystic lesions, and it was so sore. I went to see the doctor again to be put on tetracycline for a good month ( did nothing) but I he referred me to a derm which took months. During the waiting time being the proactive person I am I started a new natural products regimen as well as using a lumie clear and changing my contraception to a dianette pill. The pill as I thought did nothing. But the lumie clear helped massively with swelling etc. by the time I went to see the derm I had 1 or 2 active lesions and what I thought was a lot of scarring. She however told me it was hyper pigmentation, to stay on dianette and take more tetracycline which was less than helpful, and almost laughed at me for seeing her about my acne because it in her eyes was very light. Really didn't help my self esteem at all.

That was in may last year and I am still battling with my self esteem issues and hyper pigmentation caused by acne, I have just started getting painful breakouts on my forehead too. I cover up with make up a lot of the time, I don't think people notice but I have had nasty comments about it from my sister (another story) which she knew would hurt.

I am thinking about having a dermaroller treatment soon, I am getting so down and it isn't good for my daughter to see.

I really hope you guys aren't feeling this way and I would love some advice regarding hyper pigmentation if you guys have/ are experiencing it too.

Much love xxxx

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 02/26/2013 12:48 pm

Hi! I'm also from the Uk and have had the same problem with having to wait aaaaages to see a dermatologist. Anyway, when I eventually did see one, she told me I have severe hyper pigmentation. It's so bad that it's barely better than the acne I used to have.

Thankfully, due to the dianette and tetracycline (I am on Lymecycline) that my GP put me on, I have little active acne now. I was referred to a dermatologist to ask how to get rid of the hyper pigmentation (my doctor was fairly clueless) and she prescribed a cream called Skinoren. I've been using it twice a day for a month now and unfortunately I have seen little improvement. However, after reading all the fantastic reviews on this website for Skinoren, it would seem that it normally takes 7+ weeks to start to work so I'm sticking with it.

Sorry for the long reply, but to summarise, it might be worth asking your doctor to prescribe Skinoren for you as there are so many positive reviews about it (hopefully I will write one soon) and it can be got on the NHS.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@loretta-webb)

Posted : 02/26/2013 6:17 pm

Hi! Sounds like a plan! My doctor is very elusive lol but I will try and get an appointment with him inbetween working and mummy duties - going to try a lactic peel in the meantime. Let me know how you get on wont you? Thanks hun and good luck to you too!

MemberMember
(@marrieya)

Posted : 02/27/2013 2:27 am

Hi,

I m also newbie..your most welcome to this community. Hope you will stay over here for long time with us...... Cheers!

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 02/28/2013 11:28 am

Hi! Sounds like a plan! My doctor is very elusive lol but I will try and get an appointment with him inbetween working and mummy duties - going to try a lactic peel in the meantime. Let me know how you get on wont you? Thanks hun and good luck to you too!

No problem! Just a heads up- My GP was surprised when I told him that the dermatologist had recommended this cream because it is really a cream for treating active acne but it is prescribed for hyper pigmentation as the active ingredient (can't remember what is is though :/ ) is proven to help. You may have to explain this to him as I had to to mine as it's not the most commonly used cream :)

MemberMember
(@loretta-webb)

Posted : 02/28/2013 11:32 am

Great thanks! Hope it works for us both, are you still getting break outs at all?

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 03/02/2013 11:48 am

Great thanks! Hope it works for us both, are you still getting break outs at all?

Thank you :) Yup, they're not so bad on my face but unfortunately I'm still getting acne on my chest and back so I've just been referred to my local hospital for Roaccutane. I am scared out of my mind but hopefully it will be worth it because I can't risk getting any more scarring.

MemberMember
(@loretta-webb)

Posted : 03/02/2013 12:04 pm

My husband was on roacutane when we were at school (he had very severe acne on his face, back and chest) and it worked great for him no scars at all except for a few tiny ones on his back. He never gets spots anymore either. He didn't experience any side effects either. Just do what you think is right and best for you, all these pills have side effects you can always stop them if you want.

My doctor told me whilst I was on lymecycline not to get pregnant because it would give my baby black teeth for life which really made me think twice about putting medicines in my body. I don't take oral contraception anymore, and I am a lot happier for it and only have 3 active lesions on my face at the mo - they are no where near as sore though.

Wish you all the luck, just make sure the derm gives you all the info you need and that you leave feeling better than when you went in.

Tomatoes and cider vinegar have proved in my experience to be good for scarring btw, have a lovely weekend! :-)

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 03/03/2013 10:17 am

My husband was on roacutane when we were at school (he had very severe acne on his face, back and chest) and it worked great for him no scars at all except for a few tiny ones on his back. He never gets spots anymore either. He didn't experience any side effects either. Just do what you think is right and best for you, all these pills have side effects you can always stop them if you want.

My doctor told me whilst I was on lymecycline not to get pregnant because it would give my baby black teeth for life which really made me think twice about putting medicines in my body. I don't take oral contraception anymore, and I am a lot happier for it and only have 3 active lesions on my face at the mo - they are no where near as sore though.

Wish you all the luck, just make sure the derm gives you all the info you need and that you leave feeling better than when you went in.

Tomatoes and cider vinegar have proved in my experience to be good for scarring btw, have a lovely weekend! whistling.gif)

Thank you for the advice :) I'll keep you updated with how I'm getting on and you do the same! All the best! :)

Tomatoes and cider vinegar have proved in my experience to be good for scarring btw, have a lovely weekend! whistling.gif)

Thank you for the advice smile.png I'll keep you updated with how I'm getting on and you do the same! All the best! smile.png

Oh, and do you mean eating tomatoes and cider vinegar or applying them to your skin?

MemberMember
(@loretta-webb)

Posted : 03/03/2013 10:21 am

I will! :-) with the cider vinegar I mix a tablespoon of it with 3/4 cup of green tea and tablespoon of sugar and honey and leave it on as a mask for 5-10 mins, with the tomatoes I just mash them up in a bowl and them put them on for as long as possible then rinse off. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/04/2013 5:36 am

Try using a glycolic acid for the hyperpigmentation. I recently got a 10% glycolic acid gel that I mix into my moisturizer at night and it has done wonders for my red acne spots. They have significantly lightened and I have been only using it for a little over a week.

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 03/26/2013 12:32 pm

Hi Loretta, I just thought I's catch up on how you are?

I'm afraid I've got bad news for you. I miscalculated the amount of time I've been using Skinoren. Turns out it's been 10 weeks since I started using it and according to the reviews I should have had amazing results by now :( I have seen a difference and my marks have faded, I just haven't had the miracle change that I'd hoped for.

I'm sorry that my recommendation turned out to be a bit rubbish (although it might work better for you eusa_pray.gif).

I hope you are well, let me know how you're getting on :)

MemberMember
(@loretta-webb)

Posted : 05/06/2013 5:32 pm

Hi! Oh no! Sorry to hear it hasn't worked out for you- it's so frustrating hey?

Sorry also for my late reply! I set up my account to send me notifications when I got replies or responses but didn't receive any. :-(

anyway, I've done about 3-4 lactic acid peels so far at 60% strength. Although the marks are still there it has faded them somewhat and cleared some of the smaller marks I had along my jawline and forehead. I'd definitely recommend it - for about £7 it is worth it because I can see some slow changes.. Like you though I want something quick after having it so long. I'm going to try and be regimental with it though and make sure I do it every week and leave it on for a little longer each time and hope it can clear the larger marks etc too.

I'm also going to try a retinol a cream in the evening instead of my normal moisturiser. If you did want to try the lactic acid peel I'm using hon - it can be bought on eBay: search mty_skincare. Good luck again and keep smiling! We'll get there x

Pp.s what happened with roaccutane for you?

Nicmic62 - hi how are you getting on with the gel?