Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide Causing Wrinkles

MemberMember
(@haleyemmanuel)

Posted : 02/25/2013 8:56 pm

Hi Everyone,

My name is Emmanuel, I am 23 years old, and I'm new to acne.org. I just purchased the regimen and have been using it for about 5 days now. Before using the regimen, I was using over the counter products (cleanser, BP, and moisturizer) for about 2 months. I didn't realize it until recently, but I have wrinkles that are deep that I have never had before. The wrinkles are in the location of my laugh lines (without laughing), corners of mouth, and crow™s feet area, and forehead. The ones that are the deepest are the laugh lines, ugh. Just to make sure that I had never had the wrinkles before, I viewed pictures that I took of myself about 2-3 months ago, and I definitely didn't have any wrinkles. I took pictures again with the same camera, to see if there was a difference of then and now and there definitely is. I got a second opinion from family members and they see the difference in wrinkles in my face as well. After searching the web, it seems to be the BP that is contributing to the wrinkles. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this effect (the wrinkles) with using acne products (specifically BP). If yes, what did you do to fix it? The BP is doing wonders for my acne but I am not so sure that it is worth it if I get wrinkles in the place of acne. Not to say wrinkles are a bad thing, but at age 23, wrinkles are definitely an unwanted side effect for people are saying that I look like I am in my 30s. I have been using the moisturizer that is a part of the regimen and 3 days ago started putting 'extra extra extra' on the areas where the wrinkles have formed. Right when I put the moisturizer on, the wrinkles go away, but once the moisturizer absorbs into my skin, the wrinkles come back. I am starting to think I should stop the regimen all together but like I had stated, it seems to be working quite well on my acne so if at all possible, I would like to continue using the regimen, but get rid of the newly formed wrinkles as well as prevent new ones.

Responses I am looking for are ones that can answer any of the below statement/questions:

If anyone else has had this problem.

If a person has had this problem, were they able to fix the problem?

If the problem was fixed, how?

Information on why BP is causing the wrinkles.

Can any other acne medications cause this to happen?

Please, if you have any info at all I would be more than happy to hear it. eusa_pray.gif

Thanks,

Emmanuel

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 02/25/2013 10:30 pm

Hi Emmanuel, I totally agree - getting wrinkles at 23 wouldn't be the happiest of occurrences!

Now I can give you some piece of mind as far as wrinkles go. I think what you're experiencing is more dehydration causing wrinkles rather than suffering permanent wrinkles (caused by age and sun damage). You are only in the first week of the regimen, and I'm sorry to tell you that most people (including myself) find that the first 3-5 weeks are awful, where you experience severely dry and irritated skin (redness, flakiness, itching and burning sensations). This is all normal while your skin adjusts to the BP (make sure you are starting very slowly using only a small amount of BP and building up). Once your skin starts to adjust and get used to the BP, all these symptoms start to go. The main thing is you have to make sure you keep your face hydrated even if it means reapplying moisturiser several times a day, obviously applying very gently and with clean hands.

After around 5 weeks you can start to incorporate AHA+ into the regimen which really helps with skin tone and hydration, but you should only introduce AHA once your skin is well adjusted to the BP.

Emmanuel, I'm 41 years old and follow the Regimen each day, and have done for around a year and a half. I barely have a wrinkle to show....so the BP definitely doesn't cause wrinkles, but your skin may appear dry and wrinkly in the early stages while adjusting to BP.

Good luck with following the regimen, remember consistency and patience is the key to success. Let us know how you get on. :)

MemberMember
(@real-maverick)

Posted : 02/27/2013 12:07 pm

It's definitely dehydration. I had the same issue many years ago, with many medications that had drying effects. It's essential to moisturise well. A few drops of Jojoba oil in your moisturiser can go a long way.

MemberMember
(@msb)

Posted : 03/11/2013 2:13 pm

Yep it is dehydration. I happen to also be developing wrinkles as I am almost 40 but they definitely appear more since I started Dan's Regimen (which has been fantastic otherwise). Douse your skin with moisturizer and let it soak in for 10 min.

MemberMember
(@orlando158)

Posted : 05/06/2013 11:26 pm

BENZOIC PEROXIDE doesn't cause wrinkles in itself

but it leaves your skin more vulnerable to sun damage, which will cause wrinkles and fine lines

more than likley the op didn't even use sunscreen

Many people over the internet have reported claims that they have noticed wrinkles from long term usage of benzoyl peroxide, but that could potentially be the dry skin (side effect of benzoyl peroxide) artificially making your lines look worse.

MemberMember
(@twinks12w)

Posted : 05/07/2013 5:27 pm

Hi

I know what you mean, because this also happened to me, and I used to use it for over a year. Some people (probably like me and you) have extra sensitive skin, after a year of using this product, my skin started to sting all the time. I am 25 and stopped using it at 24 years as I too noticed lines on my forehead that were more close together than the usual frown lines and wrinkles onthe corners of my eyes. Unfortunately for me, mine have not gone away, I always use factor 50 inthe sun, where sun glasses and a big hat to shade from the sun. The wrinkles are still present :( I have stopped using all products and started concentrating on healthy diet, cutting out sugar, saturated fat and cows milk and butter (replacing with goats products) and eating a low glycemic diet along with plenty of anti inflammatory foods such as asparagus, beetroot, seeds, canola oil and soy oil, alantic red salmon, and drink green tea or spring water. Also do 3 day water or juice fasts because ur skin does heal and repair scars on fast. These are the best things I can say has a direct impact on ur skin what u put in ur body. I myself am extra sensitive to everything, I get hayfever, I've had anaphylactic shock over taken antibiotics. I have recently done a course on Anatomy and Physiology along with lifestyle and nutrition. The fasting is definetly worth looking into just read up about it and listen to ur body if it gets too much. Also stress is a big factor of acne in my life- what I've found is I have no time, I work all day, 5 days a week, then I study on an even or go to college. You should look at 'Ted Knows' website and check out 'mindfulness' it teaches you simple techniques from videos that teach u how to live in the moment, and how not to let ur mind wonder, they say 65% of ur life ur mind is wondering and it has been a direct link to unhappiness, what happens when were unhappy- I get spots. Also another great video from 'ted knows' is 'amy cuddy power pose' she basically teaches u poses that u can do for 2minutes a day that change ur mind on how u actually feel. For eg. If u sit with ur hands behind your head and lean back, that is a relaxing power pose, initially u may not feel like u have much power, but if u sit like that long enough, ur brain picks up that u r relaxed (and u do start feeling relaxed) the more u do these small things, the more u begin to become this new person. Please look into these things and let me know what you think. All the best xx

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 05/08/2013 11:05 am

BENZOIC PEROXIDE doesn't cause wrinkles in itself

but it leaves your skin more vulnerable to sun damage, which will cause wrinkles and fine lines

more than likley the op didn't even use sunscreen

Many people over the internet have reported claims that they have noticed wrinkles from long term usage of benzoyl peroxide, but that could potentially be the dry skin (side effect of benzoyl peroxide) artificially making your lines look worse.

Cosign w/Orlando... BP doesn't cause wrinkles, but can give the skin an appearance of wrinkling... It's a side effect of BP... Just moisturize as much as possible and all should be well... Also, drink plenty of water, don't smoke and minimize alcohol consumption, as they cause drying damage to the skin.. Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress... :)

MemberMember
(@msb)

Posted : 06/29/2013 11:24 pm

Reposting this here: I have changed my regime slightly (see signature line) and just use one pump of Dans BP in the morning and none at night. I don't notice any change wrt to acne (still 99.9% clear) but I do have far less drying/wrinkly appearance. With using BP 2 times a day, I was noticing wrinkles around my eyes and tons of peeling. The heavy moisturizing at night seems to combat the drying and peeling perfectly. In fact, my almost 40 year old skin seems far less dry and more supple than ever. I don't even need to put moisturizer on right away after washing. No tightness or ashiness.