Notifications
Clear all

My 4Th Month On Microgestin And My Skin Looks Terrible. 🙁

MemberMember
(@ollie-vee)

Posted : 02/24/2013 11:44 pm

I asked my doc to prescribe me a BC that would help rid me of acne. She said that all birth control pills were "pretty much the same" and wrote me a prescription for Microgestin. I read that it usually takes about 3 months for improvements to take place. I'm in my fourth month and my acne is much worse than it was before I started taking BC. My chin looks especially bad. I'd never experienced so much acne on that part of my face before.

Is there any reason that Microgestin should fail me while another BC could help? Or is my doctor right when she says they're all the same? Should I have my hormones tested? Should I request a specific BC pill or a specific type of BC?

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. I'm totally lost and very frustrated right now.

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 02/25/2013 2:29 pm

Birth controls are about the same when it comes to their purpose, birth control. Each pill is equally effective at preventing pregnancy. However, they are NOT the same for acne. Please see the list below in my signature. Microgestin is a lower estrogen pill that uses the progestin norethindrone. Another name for this pill is Loestrin Fe. It is not really effective for acne and could make your acne worse.

MemberMember
(@ollie-vee)

Posted : 02/27/2013 1:37 am

Thank you so, so, so very much, Green!!! I wish that my doctor had provided the information that you've shared with me. It might have saved me from the misery that I've been experiencing for the last few months. I've repeatedly googled Microgestin but wasn't able to learn much about its usage in the treatment of acne. I plan to stop taking Microgestin, and I may look into having my hormone levels tested. I've had acne since I was 12 (I'm 31 now), and I also experience several of the symptoms listed under the "low progesterone" section of your "How do I know...?" thread, as well as hirsutism. If the hormone test turns out to be too pricey for me, I'll probably try my luck with one of the "Good", anti- or low-androgenic pills. Do you know how long one should go without birth control before taking a hormone test?

Again, I thank you for the highly informative post. You've given me hope that I might be able to find a treatment that will work for me! :-)

Birth controls are about the same when it comes to their purpose, birth control. Each pill is equally effective at preventing pregnancy. However, they are NOT the same for acne. Please see the list below in my signature. Microgestin is a lower estrogen pill that uses the progestin norethindrone. Another name for this pill is Loestrin Fe. It is not really effective for acne and could make your acne worse.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 03/01/2013 11:46 am

If you want a true hormone test, you'd need to be off birth control at least 3 months.

MemberMember
(@ollie-vee)

Posted : 03/02/2013 11:21 pm

If you want a true hormone test, you'd need to be off birth control at least 3 months.

I am not sure if I want to go that long without BC, but I will give it some more thought and discuss the matter with my gynecologist. Thanks again for your input.

MemberMember
(@karmarjor)

Posted : 04/30/2013 1:17 am

Holy Cow... I have this same problem. I actually went on BC because I was having constant cramps, which sucked. When I asked about my concern that the Rx would cause acne, my OBGyn said that not only would it not cause acne, it would actually help. Now I have a chin full of cystic acne. It has been 7 months and I am not happy. I am so very happy to hear about the possibility to correct this and still control my cramping. Thanks so much.