Notifications
Clear all

One Girl's Success Treating Hyperglycemia

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 02/24/2013 1:52 pm

So...this is Kristina. She is also a fully raw vegan. She was able to overcome her hyperglycemia, as well as migraines, fatigue, and constant nausea by switching to a fully raw diet. She has been vegan for 8 years. She started because a man stopped her in the store, who had been eating vegan for 18 years, and started telling her about the raw food diet. His initial advice after hours of discussing with her was to 'try eating raw for a few days, and see if it makes you feel better'. Quality advice regarding any diet in my opinion.

She felt better after 3 days. She is now without these ailments. Anecdotal? Yes.

My advice for anyone who attempts this, is to make sure you eat enough. Eating raw doesn't mean eating 1,000 calories a day

So the lesson is, if you do not switch to raw vegan, you will die. And soon. Jk, i still eat very occasional meat and frequently eat raw eggs

But for realz, you might die...

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/24/2013 11:14 pm

All

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 02/26/2013 1:59 pm

I find it hard to believe that years of eating nothing but a raw vegan diet wouldn't lead to some vitamin deficiencies. How does she get enough B12? :/

But well, she does look healthy, if a bit skinny. And I'm sure her diet has resolved her glucose tolerance issues. I can only hope to achieve the same with my diet.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 02/26/2013 2:17 pm

Raw made me way too skinny. I was calculating calories and all, eating sometimes 4000 calories a day raw, couldnt gain weight. Im 6ft and was at 135 before I ditched it, started eating cooked foods again and gained 25lbs in like 4 months, back to healthy again. To each their own, if raw really works for your then good for you. I fell down that path though and thought it was the miracle to all as well but now I think its a bunch of BS, Im much more healthy, energetic, stronger etc eating cooked foods with raw. I'm now 165lbs and trying to get up to about 180 in really fit shape.. I cant do the whole walking around like a skeleton being a full grown man.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 02/26/2013 2:19 pm

The thing that really opened up my eyes in regards to the B-vitamin thing, is this: Think about where the animals we eat get their B vitamins. Not from eating other animals. This guy really helped me understand the B-vitamin issue, and why it's over-hyped in regards to how much we need, and how we get it/recycle it. We don't need much of the vitamin at all in our lifetime.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 02/26/2013 6:00 pm

Raw made me way too skinny. I was calculating calories and all, eating sometimes 4000 calories a day raw, couldnt gain weight. Im 6ft and was at 135 before I ditched it, started eating cooked foods again and gained 25lbs in like 4 months, back to healthy again. To each their own, if raw really works for your then good for you. I fell down that path though and thought it was the miracle to all as well but now I think its a bunch of BS, Im much more healthy, energetic, stronger etc eating cooked foods with raw. I'm now 165lbs and trying to get up to about 180 in really fit shape.. I cant do the whole walking around like a skeleton being a full grown man.

I hear ya. And you are not the only one to have tried it unsuccessfully. Many members on this site did not like the raw food diet. So for sure it depends on how your body handles it, or how you feel while on it. Regardless, i'd still advocate people incorporate more raw fruits and vegetables into their diet, even if it is not the primary source of calories for you. At least you gave it a shot

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 02/26/2013 8:28 pm

Can ya share with us what your raw diet typically consists of? Be interested in hearing.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 02/26/2013 10:59 pm

Can ya share with us what your raw diet typically consists of? Be interested in hearing.

Absolutely. For breakfast i usually blend up spinach, carrots, frozen blueberries, banana/s, agave nectar/stevia, wheatgrass powder, walnuts, four or five free range/organic raw eggs, and some sort of juice, or simply water. I eat so many raw eggs it's ridiculous. But not by themselves, or else i get backed up pretty hard.

For lunch, i usually have raisins, bananas, more raw eggs, maybe a spinach or romaine salad with a homemade dressing, an apple or carrot or both, or some other fruit. As a general rule, i try to eat way more fruit than vegetable. I do this because while the vegetables are loaded with vital nutrients, they also provide drastically less calories.

Again, i am not fully raw, or vegan. So for dinner, i might have scrambled eggs (or raw), or another calorie dense smoothie, or both. If anyone has an allergy to eggs, it's highly likely that it will disappear when you consume them raw. Eggs are such a great source of healthy fats, protein, and vitamins.

Sometimes i'll pick up some sprouted Chia seeds and add them to the smoothie. Often times i will take tablespoons of Sesame oil or Virgin Coconut oil, or Apricot kernel oil throughout the day for healthy fats and calories. I also eat Avocados like there is no tomorrow. I make guacamole using lime juice, smashed garlic, onion and Himalayan sea salt. It's really tasty and calorie/nutrient dense.

I try to eat organic in everything i consume. I don't think the walnuts are organic, or the avocados. Some food items i'm more concerned about regarding GMO and pesticide/herbicide use.

But yeah, that's just one day of food. On the weekend i might have a free range steak and salad. Other than that...i really don't consume meat. But again, fruit and eggs are the foundation of my diet. But i make sure to get plenty of greens and other healthy fats in too.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 02/27/2013 6:20 am

The thing that really opened up my eyes in regards to the B-vitamin thing, is this: Think about where the animals we eat get their B vitamins. Not from eating other animals. This guy really helped me understand the B-vitamin issue, and why it's over-hyped in regards to how much we need, and how we get it/recycle it. We don't need much of the vitamin at all in our lifetime.

The most important sources of B12 are animal foods. Just because some guy claims deficiencies are due to the intrinsic factor and HCL not working properly (which can be a factor, yes), I wouldn't risk cutting out all the major sources of B12 and possibly developing a deficiency down the line. I think it's too big a risk.

B12 deficiency symptoms according to Wikipedia:

Vitamin B12 deficiency can potentially cause severe and irreversible damage, especially to the brain and nervous system. At levels only slightly lower than normal, a range of symptoms such as fatigue, depression, and poor memory may be experienced.[1]

Vitamin B12 deficiency can also cause symptoms of mania and psychosis.[26][27] Vitamin B12 deficiency can be caused by the metabolic disorder pernicious anemia.

So anyone who wants to try a raw or a vegetarian diet, I would highly recommend to keep eating eggs.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 02/27/2013 2:31 pm

The most important sources of B12 are animal foods. Just because some guy claims deficiencies are due to the intrinsic factor and HCL not working properly (which can be a factor, yes), I wouldn't risk cutting out all the major sources of B12 and possibly developing a deficiency down the line. I think it's too big a risk.

Hi austra,

You might take at look at this thread. Does an incredible job explaining how/where B-12 is produced/utilized, as well as the other elements needed for it to be produced (such as cobalt). The vitamin is synthesized by certain microorganisms, which used to be abundant in soil, and still are in organically grown plants. Bacteria in the small intestine are able to produce it as well when the conditions are right, as in healthy gut flora, correct amount of cobalt available, intrinsic factor, lack of rotting food in the gut, etc.

The reason we are seeing deficiency of this vitamin is because of what we are doing to the earth. Even the animals we are consuming are becoming deficient. And they get theirs from the same source we humans would get ours: The soil, and the microbes attached to the plants/water/and even the air. This is why eating organic is so important. So that you can get your vegetables/fruits from farmers that still grow in quality soil, without any toxic components added.

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?6856-Where-exactly-does-Vitamin-B12-come-from