Notifications
Clear all

Needing Encouragement On Accutane

MemberMember
(@sydneycat)

Posted : 02/24/2013 2:32 am

Hello everyone!

So, this is my first post. I am a 22 year old female dealing with acne on my chin and cheeks. It all started a little over a year ago, and I've tried everything from topical gels to antibiotics like Doxicycline and Minocycline (spelling?) to combat it. I have dealt with depression my entire life, but being ashamed of my own face is a whole kind of sadness I would do anything to forget. I am so embarrassed, that when I have friends or men I'm dating stay the night I sleep with my makeup on. I know it is terrible for my skin, but it beats the paranoia that comes with wondering whether he is looking at my acne or not. I am especially concerned because a guy I have been dating is coming to visit, and will be staying at my place for the week. I feel disgusting knowing that I will practically be living in my makeup, but I refuse to let him see what my skin really looks like.

Anyway, I started my first trial of Accutane a month ago. I am now entering my second month and have yet to see any progress. I am looking for some encouragement as my depression is worsening and I am losing hope. This is my first time reaching out for help. If anyone can relate, I would love to hear your story.

MemberMember
(@jj)

Posted : 02/24/2013 4:27 am

The last course of Accutane I took was nearly 12 years ago so I am a bit sketchy with the details of how long it took to clear up etc. but what I do remember is IT WORKS. There is a reason why it is regarded as a miracle drug and a last resort. I had a lot of pimples all over my face and by the time my course was finished I had no acne whatsoever. All acne treatments can take time so hang in there. My other suggestion would be to take a look at any of the Accutane logs on this site - I'm sure there are some there that you will find helpful.

Also with regards to men staying over, it is more than likely mostly in your own head and the men really won't care. You probably see yourself far more harshly and out of perspective than everyone else. I feel similarly about my face (scarring more so than acne, I have BDD) and the reality is my girlfriend doesn't care less or even notice my scarring. We are our own worst critics.