Notifications
Clear all

Dry Skin Before Accutane?

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 02/23/2013 5:52 pm

I will be starting Accutane within the next week. I know Accutane works by suppressing sebum production but how does that work in those of us who already have fairly dry skin? My hair is a little oily but for the most part, my face is dry. Does that mean the treatment will be any more or less effective for me? Also, will my baseline dryness increase or decrease my risk for an initial breakout? If anyone has any personal experiences to share, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 03/02/2013 8:53 pm

Has anyone had a similar experience?

I am now on Day 5 of my treatment and starting to experience some side effects (dry hair, throat, tired). So far no changes with my skin or lips but I'm sure that's coming. I am 110 lbs (50 kg) and am on 40mg/day. For anyone with fairly dry skin to begin with, what was your experience? Specifically:

1. Do you feel your treatment was any more or less effective than those with oily skin? (In reading the treatment logs, it appears that most people using this drug have oily skin & that's why it's recommended).

2. Do you think having dry skin increased or decreased your risk of an initial breakout?

3. Did you experience more severe dryness than most because you were dry to begin with? (I'm moisturizing like a crazy person!)

4. Do you feel like your skin looked healthy at the end of treatment?

Thanks so much for your help.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 03/03/2013 11:36 pm

I may be wrong, but you are playing with fire if you already have dry skin. Some are dried up for years after accutane who never had dry skin to begin with. If it gets too bad stop!