Notifications
Clear all

Finding A Doctor That Will Prescribe Flutamide

MemberMember
(@cinnamon_stix)

Posted : 02/22/2013 4:09 am

hey everyone. Im looking to add the anti androgen flutamide to my birth control but im having a really hard time finding a doctor that will prescribe it to me. To all you girls who have tried it or are on it how did you convince your doctor to give it to you? Also if anyone has doctor recommendations of who may be able to prescribe it to me let me know. I live in ohio. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 02/23/2013 8:47 am

Some reasons why you are having trouble finding a doctor that will prescribe it to you:

1. Flutamide has a bad profile as far as liver toxicity is concerned. Other anti-androgens are just as effective and put less strain on your liver.

2. Has a short half-life so you would need to take it at least 3 times every day in contrast with other anti-androgens that need to be taken only once a day.

3. It is 'recommended' to women with PCOS, but only after other options have failed.

Do you have PCOS?

MemberMember
(@cinnamon_stix)

Posted : 02/23/2013 9:24 pm

yeah i do have pcos. flutamide is the only other anti androgen i know of besides spiro and i cant take spiro because it makes me really sick.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 02/24/2013 2:02 am

Your best bet would be an endocrinologist who specializes in PCOS

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 02/24/2013 9:41 am

i heard flutamide can affect the liver. also heard doctors don't like prescribing it. There are other more gentle effective stuff. How is the BCP turning out for you ?

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 02/24/2013 9:46 am

yeah i do have pcos. flutamide is the only other anti androgen i know of besides spiro and i cant take spiro because it makes me really sick.

I would see an endocrinologist. There are other anti-androgens besides spironolactone and flutamide you could try. E.g. bicalutamide and cyproterone acetate. An endocrinologist would be the most able/willing to help, rather than a dermatologist. Most dermatologist don't know a lot about hormones.