Notifications
Clear all

Acne Ignorance

MemberMember
(@ella27)

Posted : 02/21/2013 10:31 pm

Hey folks! Long time no see~!

Something I've noticed is really starting to bother me and I'm curious if you noticed it as well. This epidemic- well its probably existed for quite a while- of people who ask the same question when your bad skin is brought up: "Do you wash your face?" but that isn't as bad as the "God just take care of your skin!" -.-

There seems to be this negative connotation that people with acne have not done anything to prevent or cure their acne. And nothing bites at me more than someone saying even a hint of the above phrases. I've tried multiple things since I was ten to get beautiful skin so this detached view that I'm lazy and don't take care of my skin is above bothersome. Yes of course I WASH my face! I haven't been searching for help for six years only to discover now that washing my face is the answer.

Most of the time it comes from people who seemingly don't have that bad of skin problems. This of course is even worse. Or they are the girls/boys in the commercials who "break out" with a dot against pure ivory skin. ( Oh the joys of false advertisement )

Anyway, I'm becoming really sensitive to this kind of topic since its just so aggravating to have years of struggle doubted by someone who most likely hasn't had the same experience.

Thanks for reading :)

Nighty night!~

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 02/22/2013 8:55 am

I share your frustration entirely. My favourite one is "stop eating junk food!" as though they somehow know my eating habits. The funny thing is, they stuff their face with kebab and pizza and yet, maintain complete clarity.

Here's another one that makes me chuckle, "Why don't you use Pro-active?". Lord only knows the inner strength it takes to refrain from slapping them on the basis of sheer stupidity (though violence is never the answer, I'd like to metaphorically slap them with acne, even just for a week, so I can watch them fight a losing battle day after day).

Notable mentions- "Have you been to the doctor?", "stop masturbating", "Wash your face with soap", "don't you wash your face?" and the most legendary of them all, "stop sweating" (Lulz were had with this one. tongue.png)

Lack of common sense and a quick mouth is a bad combination.

Edit off-topic- In commemoration of my 300th post, I feel this is necessary.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 02/22/2013 9:07 am

I sympathise with TS as well. People think that you have some kind of horrible, contagious disease or something and they treat you like you have one.

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 02/22/2013 4:41 pm

"just wash your face with soap and water"

1345666193666.jpg

MemberMember
(@looking2thefuture)

Posted : 02/22/2013 6:02 pm

Yeah know what people are saying here! People are genrally quite ignorant to be honest. However tho some people do mean well when they offer abliet crap advice so I try not to be angry to everyone. I find most people wont mention my acne to me unless I bring it up myself. I think a good way of feeling less self consious is to bring it up then move on. Also make sure youre freinds family etc know how much it effects you and if they care about you theyll help instead of offer duff advice

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/01/2013 8:57 pm

Here's some funny "One liners" from the past:

"Oh Sweetie just get some Proactiv"

"It's definitely your diet"

"Tea tree oil will heal it over night"

"Do you find you're over emotional? emotional instability causes acne"

"I could teach you how to take care of your skin"

"Go see a dermatologist"

"Get your thyroid checked"

MemberMember
(@ambitiousone)

Posted : 03/01/2013 11:44 pm

I have another one:

"Stop wearing thin clothes in cold weather... Because you don't wear a hat, you get the pimples"

Apparently, my chin pimples come out when I don't wear a hat...

I completely understand the frustration!

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/02/2013 12:07 am

I have another one:

"Stop wearing thin clothes in cold weather... Because you don't wear a hat, you get the pimples"

Apparently, my chin pimples come out when I don't wear a hat...

I completely understand the frustration!

What? Ha! that makes zero sense. People are dopey. I found that if I told people that I had PCOS as the reason I had acne (even though I don't have the syndrome) they're like "Oh, my sister has that, I'm sorry" ect. - and they leave me alone. People will get off your case about acne and stop accusing you of eating a "bad diet" and such if you tell them you have a medical condition I notice.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 03/02/2013 2:16 am

The worst ones are the ones who think we have acne because we don't know how to wash our faces or because we are dirty. That makes no sense. But we can't really blame them. After all, they really are ignorant. But we are all ignorant in some situations. I'll admit I'm ignorant of overweight people. When I see them I can't help but think, "why don't you just stop eating so much," but that probably equates to "why don't you just try proactive" for acne.

I understand that people are ignorant, but I can't stand it when they give you unwanted advice. If someone wants to think I have acne because I don't wash my face right, that's fine, but don't have the arrogance to tell me to buy an acne wash, like I haven't heard about them and tried a million of them already.

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 03/02/2013 5:20 am

Edit off-topic- In commemoration of my 300th post, I feel this is necessary.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/02/2013 6:56 pm

The worst ones are the ones who think we have acne because we don't know how to wash our faces or because we are dirty. That makes no sense. But we can't really blame them. After all, they really are ignorant. But we are all ignorant in some situations. I'll admit I'm ignorant of overweight people. When I see them I can't help but think, "why don't you just stop eating so much," but that probably equates to "why don't you just try proactive" for acne.

I understand that people are ignorant, but I can't stand it when they give you unwanted advice. If someone wants to think I have acne because I don't wash my face right, that's fine, but don't have the arrogance to tell me to buy an acne wash, like I haven't heard about them and tried a million of them already.

I wasn't bothered all l that much about my acne or what other people thought of it as I was fairly secure with myself. But, what did bother me was other people chastising me on my eating habits and telling me my diet must be horrible when they had no clue how healthy I ate (or even that I was following a vegan diet for many years in a bid to rid myself of the disorder because I thought it was a dietary thing).

People LOVE to blame the victim.

People always thought I was some dumb ignorant person who didn't know how to take care of my skin lol. Or they'd try to get me to wear makeup (which I didn't want to at the time, I didn't bother with makeup until I was in my 20's). They'd say "why don't you cover up your skin? you could be so pretty" - I would say "I don't care if I look pretty, that's no purpose to have in life"... and they'd be like "Are you depressed or something?" lol.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/03/2013 8:07 pm

I would never say to an overweight person, "Have you tried Jenny Craig or Slim Fast" so it boggles my mind when people have the audacity to mention acne to another person. It's incredibly rude. If someone was in a wheelchair they would not state the obvious so why do it with acne. SMH

MemberMember
(@mythos)

Posted : 03/09/2013 7:33 pm

"just wash your face with soap and water"

1345666193666.jpg

lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif