Notifications
Clear all

What Will Happen When I Stop Using Tretinoin? My Story

MemberMember
(@jyogi)

Posted : 02/21/2013 1:34 am

ok so i started a post about this when i first stopped using tretinoin cream and its been a month since i stopped using it but before i get into what happened i will give you a little history. Ok i started getting acne when i was about 18 or 19 never really had it in high school but once i got out it began. Anyway i started getting acne and i was really worried when it started worsening so i ordered pro activ . I thought proactiv would be my savior but after using it for a few months it really made my acne way worse so i stopped using it and tried to just forget about my acne . Months went by and my acne continued to be bad. i Remember looking in the mirror and breaking down one night and i thought it was about time i did something about it . So i looked up a dermatologist near me and i decided to make a visit. I got there and the dermatologist told me i had a skin infection so he gave me a prescription of clindamyacin topical (it was like a roll on deodorant solution type thing) and tretinoin cream. I didnt have insurance so he didnt really charge me that much and gave me a bunch of free sample of the tretinoin cream. So i started using it and it really started working i used the clindamyacin and the tretinoin and my face got better i kept this up for a few years and i started thinking am i gonna have to use this stuff forever but i was really afraid to stop so i kept on until i started getting really bad cystic pimples i thought maybe it was the tretinoin creame but i was never really sure but one day when i got alot to cystic pimples i said what the hell im gonna just stop and see what happens. So i stop and for the first week i dont get any pimples ( iwas getting at least one cystic pimple every week sometimes one every two weeks but these things last forever. plus my face always looked red ) my face felt way better and it always used to be really oily and all that stopped i got small pimples every once in a while but those never really bothered me it was the huge monster ones that did. so i kept track and marked when i got a pimple in this whole month ive gotten only two new pimples both on my right cheek area i didnt get the first one for 18 days which was new record for me i got another about a week later but two pimples in one month seems really good for me. So in conclusion i think tretinoin creame is good but i think after your face gets better and if you think its making you break out you should stop using it. I know about the initial breakout thing too and keep in mind i had been using tretinoin creame for about 5 years so i was well past that. I was really scared to stop but i did and before i did i looked online for peoples story about when they stopped and i only found one guys story and he gave me the courage to try it out. Trust me im still scared and sometimes i just wanna use it cuzz im afraid my acne will get worse but im gonna keep on. I was using cetaphil gentle skin cleanser but im trying to go all natural with no face wash and no acne stuff . im being honest and telling my story the only other thing i do is take vitamin d3 1000iu which i heard is good for fighting infections (my doctor told me ). so i will keep you posted on my progress i stopped using tretinoin on jan 18 2013 and it is now feb 20 feel free to reply and it feels good to write about my experience here it helps me alot. Hope you all do well in your acne battles take care much luv from a person like you

MemberMember
(@jyogi)

Posted : 02/27/2013 12:37 am

alright so far so good but just a few days ago i got a huge pimple its pretty big and red but ireally wanted to put benzoyl peroxide spot treatment on it but im gonna follow through with it and just not do anything to it and try to remain optimistic ive had it for about 4 days and ill see how long it will last other than that everythings been alright so please god help me and ill keep you guyz posted ok

MemberMember
(@jyogi)

Posted : 03/02/2013 2:53 pm

Alright so the huge pimple is gone it wasn't actually a cystic pimple it was two pimples in one and it lasted about 6 days not too bad I'm feeling good for now till the next one pops up its almost been two months and no tretinoin so far so good wish me luck

MemberMember
(@jyogi)

Posted : 03/19/2013 4:14 pm

ok so its been a little while and my acne has seemed to calm down and i feel very relaxed not so worried about my acne well i got another big pimple about a week ago but it didnt get as big as my other ones ive had i think the cetaphy cleanser might have been making me breakout so ive stopped using facewashes alltogether and just been showering , oh yeah i think ramen noodles make me break out too im not to sure but when i got this most recent big one i thought what was i doing and the two things i was doing was using cetaphyl cleaner and eating ramen so im gonna try to see how it goes without them which sucks because i love ramen anyway so far soo good seem to be doing a little better without the tretinoin and my face doesnt feel dry or irratated anymore and not as oily well till next time cuzz i will document every time i get a pimple so till next time

MemberMember
(@jyogi)

Posted : 04/07/2013 12:00 am

ok its been awhile and i stopped using face wash tretinoin cream and everything and my face has finnally calmed down thank the god lord i only use benzyl peroxide on big pimples as spot treatment but everythings been verygood so far hopefully it keeps up

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 04/07/2013 7:38 pm

How old are you? Male or female?

MemberMember
(@jyogi)

Posted : 04/26/2013 2:02 am

ok i just turned 28 on jan 21 just to update people havent been using tretinoin since january and stopped using facewash i just rinse my face with water everythings been great and am so glad i dont have to use tretinoin every night anymore i found out that everytime i eat ramen noodle like cup o noodle or maruchan i get a pimple so i try not to eat it but i love it anyway good luck with your pimples and hang in there everyone

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 04/26/2013 9:49 pm

Good to hear! To bad Im only 21. Cant wait till im 28 lol

MemberMember
(@jyogi)

Posted : 04/30/2013 4:26 am

nice you should try different things and try to rule out whats making you break out it can be some food you eat or the acne medication , my dad told me a long time ago that most acne medications and face wash make money on the fact that you will keep breaking out and maybe secretly those things make you break out just some wierd ideas i have anyway if the meds work take em its a journey you have to go through yourself but hang in there i definitely know the pain acne can cause not to mention the stress , theres a saying if you keep doing the same things and expect different results that's insanity , so try different things and good luck with you acne , oh yeah my acne has finally calmed down i really feel happy now hang in there good luck bye