Notifications
Clear all

Why Do I Have Oily Skin On Retin A 0.025% Gel?

MemberMember
(@grn93)

Posted : 02/20/2013 1:56 pm

Hi there. I finished the course of accutane 5 months ago. Oily skin and acne has returned. Than 20 days I use Retin-A 0.025% gel and my skin is still oily, what to do? 1 hour after application of Retin-A put moisturizer. My skin is very oily, although I was roakutane: (

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 02/20/2013 3:46 pm

In my experience Retin-A doesn't do anything to slow down oil, although it does help keep the pores clear which makes oil escape more readily.

MemberMember
(@mgeorge2013)

Posted : 02/21/2013 7:04 pm

I have combination skin and have never used Accutane. However, when I used Retin-A, it made my face extremely oily, a lot more oily than I have ever been in my life. Of course, my doctor didn't believe me that it was the Retin-A ("Retin-A has the opposite effect- it dries skin out," he said while staring at my extremely oily face), so he switched me to Tazorac which had the exact same effect- super oily. Finally, I saw a nurse practioner who believed me and out me on a BP Wash and topically rx BP which helped immensely.

I will say that my skin's texture and clarity was amazing on the retinoids, but I was so oily that I was embarassed to be in public. Anyway, I just wanted to post because when I went through my retinoid phase, I couldn't find anyone who validated the extra facial greasiness due to retinoids.

Sidenote- I do use Milk of Magnesia (Phillips, but make sure you buy non-scented) under my moistuizer as a base and it helps immensely with greasiness. Put a light layer on after you wash. Let it dry, then apply moisturizer. I never tried it while on the retinoids, though.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@grn93)

Posted : 02/22/2013 6:57 am

Thank you! What would you recommend? Stay Does Retin-A until the summer? I use it by Feb. 1. And that, my skin is oily mean that Retin-A is not working? Thank you!