Notifications
Clear all

Could I Have Pcos?

MemberMember
(@marniemarie)

Posted : 02/20/2013 1:52 pm

When I was 12 (1 year after the start of my period) I started having intense pain around day 14 of my cycle, moving month to month to opposite sides of my body. The pain didn't come every month, but when it did it was sudden and crippling, accompanied by nausea. After an ultrasound it was determined I was getting large, painful ovarian cysts almost monthly. And that was pretty much the end of that story- I was never tested for hormone levels or given medication; I was basically told to suck it up. I'm 21 now, and the frequency and severity of attacks has diminished somewhat, but they still happen almost every month to some degree. I also have very irregular, very painful periods and although I am at a healthy weight I find it difficult to actually lose any weight that doesn't come back. And of course, i've been suffering from moderate acne on the chin and cheeks since the time I started my period as well, which has been fairly unaffected by anything but the birth control pill I just started 2 months ago.

I've been reading up on PCOS and i'm still unclear on the symptoms; it seems that PCOS cysts don't usually cause pain and i've also never had unusual facial hair or loss of hair on my head.

I know a lot of ladies here suffer from the condition, and was wondering if anyone could offer some insight. Does this sound like PCOS? Or just regular ovarian cysts coupled with hormonal acne?

MemberMember
(@heyybrighteyes)

Posted : 02/27/2013 7:43 pm

When I was 12 (1 year after the start of my period) I started having intense pain around day 14 of my cycle, moving month to month to opposite sides of my body. The pain didn't come every month, but when it did it was sudden and crippling, accompanied by nausea. After an ultrasound it was determined I was getting large, painful ovarian cysts almost monthly. And that was pretty much the end of that story- I was never tested for hormone levels or given medication; I was basically told to suck it up. I'm 21 now, and the frequency and severity of attacks has diminished somewhat, but they still happen almost every month to some degree. I also have very irregular, very painful periods and although I am at a healthy weight I find it difficult to actually lose any weight that doesn't come back. And of course, i've been suffering from moderate acne on the chin and cheeks since the time I started my period as well, which has been fairly unaffected by anything but the birth control pill I just started 2 months ago.

I've been reading up on PCOS and i'm still unclear on the symptoms; it seems that PCOS cysts don't usually cause pain and i've also never had unusual facial hair or loss of hair on my head.

I know a lot of ladies here suffer from the condition, and was wondering if anyone could offer some insight. Does this sound like PCOS? Or just regular ovarian cysts coupled with hormonal acne?

im definitely one of the gals here dealing with PCOS.

i have all the symptoms (including facial hair and male pattern baldness) except the weight issue.

i did read some where that even just having two symptoms can mean you have it.

i cant say whether you do or don't, of course, but it sounds likely...

i had the irregular and VERY painful periods..

now theyre a little more regular and VERY bearable, its like a miracle to me 🙂

the only thing that's really helped consistently is Saw Palmetto

its super cheap and i just take one pill with every meal.

it cleared up my acne almost completely when i first started

then as i weaned off (cause i like to try new things, cause im crazy lol) i started to slowly get acne back.. but not as bad as before

so i do believe it can have a lasting effect, and i've only been on it for less than 3 months!

so, i recommend looking into it, and making your own decision about whether its right for you 🙂

hope i could help in some way!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 05/04/2013 1:48 pm

Read all of this: http://www.hormonehelpny.com/column/pcos.htm