Ortho Tri Cyclen, W...

Notifications
Clear all

Ortho Tri Cyclen, Wtf? --Pictures!

MemberMember
(@shannanigunz)

Posted : 02/20/2013 12:19 pm

So I am on my 5th month of (Norgestimate-ETH Estradiol Tab) GENERIC for Ortho Tri Cyclen...and I am STILL having breakouts!

My skin was mild before I started this stuff, then BAM I get moderate and painful flare-ups along my jawline and chin. Even occasionally the cheek area. I will occasionally experience "decent skin days" but still nothing like it was half a year ago.

They start off as tiny, flesh colored bumps, then they become hard and infected, inflamed and red. I have yet to find a spot treatment that stops a zit from coming when you feel one brewing.

Side note: anyone know of a FANTASTIC spot treatment that can stop a zit before it arrives? For instance, if I catch it early enough, what could smack it down before it emerges?

I am in the process of trying to get on NAME BRAND Ortho Tri, instead of this generic stuff. I have read on countless sites that generic fillers can cause skin irritations. I want to stray from that.

If I switch, the hormones won't change, just the fillers. I truly believe these fillers make a difference. I have read so many positive reviews on name brand Ortho Tri.

Is it worth the switch from generic to name brand?

If so, should I expect another IB?

I don't see why I would get another initial breakout, being that there is no hormone change. Just the fillers. I would expect to see nothing but improvement.

I am currently suffering from a terrible flare up....this shouldn't be happening this far into treatment. Almost 6 months I've been on this stuff.

All feedback is appreciated. I'm mentally and emotionally exhausted....I don't know what to do at this point.

I have attached pictures of my current acne. They're low-quality webcam pics...but it's safe to say I have about 7-8 spots that are all irritated and becoming inflamed.

Help??? :'(

post-197336-0-54501100-1361380602_thumb.

post-197336-0-58024500-1361380603_thumb.

post-197336-0-54501100-1361380602_thumb.

post-197336-0-58024500-1361380603_thumb.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/04/2013 11:02 pm

I used to have a more severe case of this. Cysts all over my jawline. These were big and painful. I used retin-a tretinoin on them and was also taking birth control (Diane 35). Although the birth control did help, it only lasted for about 9-10 months of me being clear.

I just started Dan's regimen and am on the 7th week. All my cysts are gone and im just waiting for the tiny spots to go away.

MemberMember
(@meanwhile)

Posted : 03/09/2013 5:56 pm

Hey,

I just got off of generic Ortho after 3 months. I started it hoping to improve my mild acne, BAD IDEA. What worked so well when I was 16 just hasn't been as helpful for my adult acne. My breakouts are in exactly the same place too - big, red bumps all along my jawline. After coming off the BC I saw an immediate improvement, not totally clear but I'm at least back to where I was before the Ortho. It's so annoying sticking to a regimen for months, only to see my skin get worse. I understand your frustration! Hang in there.

MemberMember
(@lennachristine)

Posted : 03/09/2013 9:06 pm

I am 34 and switched to ortho tricyclen about 10 months ago. I don't take a generic version. I have the same acne in my jaw and cheeks. I started using acne.org and its calmed things down but I still have scars and a zit or two when I get my period. Non generic hasn't helped me at all.

Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 03/19/2013 9:37 pm

When my best friend would start taking ortho( she was always off and on the stuff for years ) her skin would always breakout for like a month or two and suddenly get better. It wasnt a cystic breakout she would have but, tons of pustules all over her cheeks, chest and back. She was never really acne prone to begin with, maybe the occasional pimple around that time of the month but nothing major.

She never used the generic brand. I found something that zaps cysts. It's the makeup artists choice jessner peel. I use it as a spot treatment on those monsters and it gets rid of them fast!

Make sure to use sunblock after this using this peel.

http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/products/MUAC_Jessner_Revitalizing_Peel-401-25.html

There is also skin obsessions Acne Stop that I've been wanting to try out. It's a jessner acne spot treatment and promises results in three days.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 03/22/2013 10:04 pm

Some have experienced success on name brand vs generic.

However, remember that Ortho Tri Cyclen was one of the first birth controls marketed for acne. It typically does not work as well as something like Yaz. Unfortunately it's trial and error...you'll need to decide if the name brand Ortho is worth the plunge, or if you just want to switch to a different brand with a better track record.