Notifications
Clear all

New Here/introducing Myself

MemberMember
(@firesurgexx)

Posted : 02/18/2013 7:53 pm

This may or may not be a lot to read but, here it goes...

Hello Acne.org community! I've actually been wandering around this site for a few months now but, I never actually felt up to creating an

account on here up until now. My name is Dylan and I live in the united states. I am 16, turning 17 in a few months. Some of my hobbies include: Gaming/Playing video games(Like every other teenager, ey?), and reading. I especially love reading books about war and I love war/action movies. I enjoy learning about history, especially if it has anything to do with World War 1/2. I have a small handful of friends at school and enjoy hanging out with them when my acne isn't too bad at the time. I'm an A/B student for the most part, hoping to get into the military after graduation. For the most part, I've always been a shy and quiet guy in school who tends to sit in the back of the classroom.

My acne was never too bad until I turned 16. Before, I only got a REALLY big zit once in awhile on my nose every 3-4 weeks and that's it. Now that I'm a sophomore, I have a fair amount of acne scars on both sides of my cheeks and although I didn't/don't grow zits too often, when I do get them, there usually really big. I grow them pretty much everywhere on my face except my forehead now.

I always make sure to avoid the primary causes for acne food wise(Chips and potato chips, chocolate, dairy, and soda). I drink about 4-5 bottles of water a day and eat healthy snacks every now and then(Grapes, apples, etc). I first got acne when I turned 12 and started 6th grade. Been basically fighting it ever since. I have both oily and sensitive skin.

The acne products(Or other things) that I am currently using are:

Alba Acnedote: Deep pore wash

Organic Raw Honey

Clean & Clear: Persa-Gel 10

Apple Cider Vinegar(Small Amounts)

I'll stop here so that I don't make the post too lengthy/too much to read. I hope that I can get to know some people on here and I will do the best I can to be active on the message boards rolleyes.gif !

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 02/19/2013 8:46 pm

How often do you get out into the sun? Vitamin D deficiencies are quite common in school kids. You're in school all day, you come home, you game, you watch movies, you read books, you aren't out in the sun making vitamin D like you need to. By the way sitting by a window in class or in the car doesn't count. The way sunlight passes through glass filters some of the rays, which means you don't produce vitamin D when you're behind glass.

Also eating/drinking foods with vitamin D is not the same. That's vitamin D2. The stuff you need is vitamin D3, which you can only get from the sun (ideally) or from gel capsule supplements.

So bottom line is...you should be spending at least an hour a day (NO sunscreen and with a fair amount of skin showing) outside to get your vitamin D. Or if for some reason that's a problem, get a high quality D3 supplement and start at 5,000 IU a day.