Notifications
Clear all

Photodynamic Therapy For Really Severe Acne

MemberMember
(@forrestgump)

Posted : 02/17/2013 4:10 pm

Does anyone know if this will work? I really could care less about the fact that it will hurt and my face will peel, but I do care that it is expensive and I just want to know if it is a sham or not. I was prescribed accutane, however, decided against it and I have tried everything else, so this is sort of my last resort...

MemberMember
(@brightling)

Posted : 02/17/2013 6:41 pm

It's not permanent if that's what you're asking and from what I've read it's not any more effective than painless bluelight therapy. Why are you unwilling to try accutane? Alls I will say is if you have severe acne don't waste your time and $$$ on this photodynamic shit and at the very least, give low dose accutane a try. If your acne is severe this med will most likely be worth it for you (unless you have some sort of health issue--in that case maybe don't do it). I started it low dose last month and I've already been clear for the past 2 weeks--I was also on it for three months last year and nothing horrible happened to me. Anyways, try not to be so dramatic (no last resorts) because it could be that nothing can cure your acne permanently (its not uncommon) and if this is the case you just have to find a way to control it. Accutane could be one of those ways b/c maybe it'll come back milder.

MemberMember
(@forrestgump)

Posted : 02/17/2013 6:46 pm

Well I mean I have tried 3 antiobiotics, bp, and all that stuff and nothing works. and accutane my parents wont let me take either even if i wanted to take it... so there pretty much is nothing left lol

MemberMember
(@brightling)

Posted : 02/17/2013 8:26 pm

Did you take your antibiotics every 12 hours every day at the same times? If not, this could be the reason they didnt work for you. The antibiotics need to be in your bloodstream 24/7 or the acne bacteria can rebound and grow even stronger. I would try again if I were you cause antibiotics can clear you way faster than accutane if you take them correctly. If you're under 16 its probably not a good idea to go n accutane anyways, but if you are over that age you should just explain to your parents that your acne is giving your major anxiety and self esteem issues and it might even scar you. Maybe that will change their minds.

MemberMember
(@forrestgump)

Posted : 02/17/2013 10:39 pm

thanks for the help but there is no way (literally 0 chance) of them changing their minds. I guess its for the better though. And i took them just like you said, its just my acne is really severe and really stubborn. I will try PDT, because I have heard that it works better for severe acne, and most people who didnt have a good experience with it just had light acne.

MemberMember
(@brightling)

Posted : 02/17/2013 11:09 pm

I hope it works for you then but if its any consolation accutane isn't a permanent cure for a lot of people either.

MemberMember
(@abybar)

Posted : 02/20/2013 10:21 pm

I had severe acne and I paid 2,400 for 3 sessions of photodynamic therapy and it helped clear some of my acne SOME but my acne came back severe again :(

My face never really cleared with the PDT and I felt like the derm didn't really care much to provide help so after my last session I ended my relationship with that derm office .

Now, I'm on dans regimen and my skin is much clearer than any photodynamic therapy. However, the ultimate decision is yours. You may get better results than I or no results . It's a gamble.

Good luck mate .