Notifications
Clear all

Sudden Acne, Overwhelmed, Help! Pic

MemberMember
(@emily22)

Posted : 02/17/2013 8:14 am

Please any help would be massively appreciated. I normally have around five zits total on my face on an average day but a couple days ago (and yes, it was right at the start of my period), a complete onslaught of zits occurred. They're all tiny and painful, but I'm not kidding, there's over a hundred and they're all bunched together. Most of them are on my cheeks and jaw, some on my chin, and a few on my forehead.

First off, I don't know why this happened. I'm 22 years old and I have never had this happen to me before.

Secondly, how do I make it go away? Right now I'm guessing it's an (atypical) result of my period and hormonal spikes and all that so will it go away on it's own when my period is completed? I have bad reactions to salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide so I can't really use any topical gels or creams. I usually do a manuka honey face mask once a day and that's been working great until now.

My face is just a disaster and I'm desperate for any help or advice, thanks.

post-200997-0-37783000-1361106855.jpg

post-200997-0-37783000-1361106855.jpg

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 02/17/2013 9:00 am

Go to a derm asap

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/17/2013 10:07 am

If tha is the first time it has happened around your period, then it may be a reaction to something. Give it a few weeks to see if it goes away on its own. If not, you may want to see a derm.

MemberMember
(@veiledxbeauty)

Posted : 02/17/2013 12:33 pm

Hello Emily22! I'm just fishing here, but my breakouts worsen during my menstrual cycle as well and it did worsen when I hit my twenties. Your hormones are constantly fluctuating as you age, and this could be one of those times. A gynecologist can give you the low down on that and determine what's best for you. Personally, I tried birth control for a while, but it only worsened my acne, so instead I started using a Progesterone cream, applied twice a day 14 days prior to my period, to balance the androgens (acne-inducing hormone), in turn lessening my breakouts around that time. Course, I could be totally off-track for what's causing yours, so don't take my word for it. See a gynecologist to get yourself checked out just to be safe. It could make a world of difference in the treatment of your acne.

MemberMember
(@lostinthefog87)

Posted : 02/18/2013 10:41 pm

First, improve your diet. Take zinc supplements, vitamin C, eat lots of fresh veggies and fruits, eat less meat and more organic. This may not clear all acne sufferers, but it makes a difference in most. Second, try sulfur. If BP doesn't work, move on, if SA doesn't work, move on. Thats my method. I also had a dermatologist recently tell me if you use neosporin inside your nose at night for 1 month (every night for 2 weeks and then once or twice a week for the remainder of the month), this will actually work better than an oral antibiotic. He said this was published in the 2012 issue of a major dermatology journal.

I know it's bad now, but have hope and keep trying different methods. Something will click. But remember acne comes from inflammation from within, so really work on diet, exercise, stress levels, etc.

MemberMember
(@maiurr)

Posted : 02/19/2013 7:20 am

Go to a derm and ask for accutane! It was something i did not do and as a result, got acne scars. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.