Notifications
Clear all

Yasmin Bcp, Finished 5Th Board Not Clear. Carry On?

MemberMember
(@eli123)

Posted : 02/17/2013 7:16 am

hi guys

I'm 24 years old and 2 years ago developed acne for the first time in my life. I have tried numerous treatments; topicals, diet, all to no avail. Recently on the advice of my GP i have started taking yasmin bcp to hopefully clear my skin. Well i have currently just finished my 5th board and had quite a bad breakout :( prior to this i was seeing very slow improvement like not such deep painful spots. SO im just looking for advice really on those who have taken BCP. how long did it take to get clear skin? is my experience normal? or should i quit taking them as they havent cleared my skin already or give them more time?

thanks in advance rolleyes.gif

Eli

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 02/18/2013 4:22 pm

If you were seeing a slow improvement, it probably means that Yasmin was a step in the right direction for you hormonally. However, the fact that at month 5 you still get breakouts may mean that Yasmin is not enough. Yasmin contains drospirenone, which is a SMALL (like 25mg) dose of spironolactone...this is what helps the acne. However, many women find that 25mg drospirenone/spironolactone is simply not enough. You may need to combine Yasmin with a 50-75mg dose of spironolactone to get 100% clear skin.

MemberMember
(@eli123)

Posted : 02/21/2013 7:01 am

green gables thankyou very much for your response. i think it must be hormonal since i only developed it 2 years ago and never had acne as a teenager and no one just in my family has it so maybe the spiro will help. i havent really heard gp's prescribing it in the uk, are you in the uk and did your dr prescribe it

thanks again for the response

elix

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 02/23/2013 2:01 pm

green gables thankyou very much for your response. i think it must be hormonal since i only developed it 2 years ago and never had acne as a teenager and no one just in my family has it so maybe the spiro will help. i havent really heard gp's prescribing it in the uk, are you in the uk and did your dr prescribe it

thanks again for the response

elix

I'm not in the UK. I have heard of some people on this board having spiro prescribed there, but yes it is harder. If you can't get spiro you could try Diane-35 which works better for some women than Yasmin.