Notifications
Clear all

Frustrated - Why Do Some Have It So Easy?

MemberMember
(@bluefilteredlight)

Posted : 02/14/2013 4:34 pm

Background history:

I've had acne since I was 16 and was not able to visit a dermatologist until the age of 18. When I was younger my acne was normal and then had mutated into cysts as I got older. My dermo has put me on or had me use the following products/prescriptions: differin, amoxicillin, minocycline, birth control and have had at least 100 cortisone shots to my face and in one rare case had one burned off.These products work for a while but my cysts still persist. My dermo wanted to prescribe me an accutane like drug and was all signed up for iPledge but he changed his mind before he actually wrote the prescription telling me that my acne looked better and I would not need it. He told me the time before that, 'If you were my child I would have put you on this years ago.'

Fast forward four years. I am now 28. I no longer see my dermo and only use a salicylic acid wash on my face. I still have persistent cysts in my "I" zone. (rather than "T" zone) I was thinking of going into my doctor and demanding him put me on the accutane like drugs and get this over with. Many of my friends and even my older sister has had luck with this drug. I have tried many OTCs with no success. I consider my case a moderate form of acne. (less than 50% of my face)

What I want to know is if anyone has had any luck with light or lazer therapy? Any other new long term solutions to acne other than vitamin A like drugs? OTCs?

I am looking for long term solutions. I feel as if my dermo is jerking me around and only wants my insurance money for injecting cortisone shots in my face and placing me on and off of antibiotics. It's strange because he's highly respected and sought after dermo.

Someday I would like to wash my face without it hurting or feeling scabs and bumps. sad.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MemberMember
(@sarsar123)

Posted : 02/14/2013 4:40 pm

Have you ever had your hormone levels investigated? I've done accutane and it worked. For like a year max. I'm 32 and until I sort my hormones out, the cysts won't stop forming no matter what creams I use or how many gut flora destroying rounds of antibiotics I do!

I'd say its something worth investigating if what you are doing now doesn't work, then if all else is ruled out, do the accutane?

I'd say I have acne on less than 50% of my face too, but its intense awful cystic acne. I don't think it's about how much it covers its the severity of the area affected? I feel for u as I'm in the same place as u, but think I'm onto something with my hormones finally, I start spironolactone next week

I'd say I have acne on less than 50% of my face too, but its intense awful cystic acne. I don't think it's about how much it covers its the severity of the area affected? I feel for u as I'm in the same place as u, but think I'm onto something with my hormones finally, I start spironolactone next week

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/14/2013 7:15 pm

Background history:

I've had acne since I was 16 and was not able to visit a dermatologist until the age of 18. When I was younger my acne was normal and then had mutated into cysts as I got older. My dermo has put me on or had me use the following products/prescriptions: differin, amoxicillin, minocycline, birth control and have had at least 100 cortisone shots to my face and in one rare case had one burned off.These products work for a while but my cysts still persist. My dermo wanted to prescribe me an accutane like drug and was all signed up for iPledge but he changed his mind before he actually wrote the prescription telling me that my acne looked better and I would not need it. He told me the time before that, 'If you were my child I would have put you on this years ago.'

Fast forward four years. I am now 28. I no longer see my dermo and only use a salicylic acid wash on my face. I still have persistent cysts in my "I" zone. (rather than "T" zone) I was thinking of going into my doctor and demanding him put me on the accutane like drugs and get this over with. Many of my friends and even my older sister has had luck with this drug. I have tried many OTCs with no success. I consider my case a moderate form of acne. (less than 50% of my face)

What I want to know is if anyone has had any luck with light or lazer therapy? Any other new long term solutions to acne other than vitamin A like drugs? OTCs?

I am looking for long term solutions. I feel as if my dermo is jerking me around and only wants my insurance money for injecting cortisone shots in my face and placing me on and off of antibiotics. It's strange because he's highly respected and sought after dermo.

Someday I would like to wash my face without it hurting or feeling scabs and bumps. sad.png

Hi, i am sorry that you are struggling - i am as well and I am on accutane- not doing so well on it. But anyway, i wouldnt recommend lasers. My previous derm for years who i loved told me it is a waste of money and that it doesn't control acne. As for accutane, it is not always the miracle drug it is toted as. I have been on it 3 times with remission for up to 2 years for my 2 previous courses. My 3rd course is looking to be a failure. But if you have tried other things, by all means, try accutane. But before you do, you may want to try:

diet changes for at least 3 months

retinoid s (retin a or differin or taz)

spiro (for hormones)

I tell people that if those 3 things don't work, then give accutane a shot. I wish i had exercised all my options before going on accutane.

BTW antibiotics are bad for you so don't use them for acne

MemberMember
(@bluefilteredlight)

Posted : 02/15/2013 11:51 am

Thank you for some of the suggestions. I have never considered looking into my hormones as being an issue. I just figured after so many years of trying different methods and treatments that we would have looked at that as one of the causes. I have tried various holistic approaches to my acne to no avail. The only thing that does help me (even though my dermo would HATE it) is tanning. I do tan in the summer for one month out of the entire year and this seem to help greatly.

If any one else has any other comments or stories that would be helpful I would greatly appreciate it :)

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/02/2013 9:20 am

Background history:

We are perhaps in the same boat. I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago and tried everything from the Birth Control Pills to the Spiro to Antibiotics. They did clear me up for around 9-10 months but after going of them the acne came back. I've done cortisone shots as well...that wasn't pretty at all. After that I did the whole low GI thing. No sugary foods, no dairy, lots of water, and exercise. Although I did feel healthier, my skin didn't look it. I started Dan's regimen a little over a month ago and that is what go to to being almost totally clear. I have like 2-3 really tiny bumps but that is it and just a few red marks that I'm just waiting to fade.

I recommend trying Dan's regimen if you have the patience to follow it to the T.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 03/03/2013 12:44 am

Thank you for some of the suggestions. I have never considered looking into my hormones as being an issue. I just figured after so many years of trying different methods and treatments that we would have looked at that as one of the causes. I have tried various holistic approaches to my acne to no avail. The only thing that does help me (even though my dermo would HATE it) is tanning. I do tan in the summer for one month out of the entire year and this seem to help greatly.

If any one else has any other comments or stories that would be helpful I would greatly appreciate it smile.png

Please see the information and links in my signature.

Many people find their acne is hormonal. Just get ready to resign yourself to long-term hormonal treatment. I have seen many get clear on hormonal treatment and falsely assume they can "wean off" of it and keep clear skin. You can't. Hormonal problems are lifelong. Once you find a treatment (whether that's birth control, or spiro, or bioidentical hormone therapy), you will need to stay on it indefinitely to keep your skin clear.