Notifications
Clear all

Stacey's Spiro Log.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 02/13/2013 11:06 am

Okay I have decided to start my own wee log, I've actually always wanted to do one of these as I like writing...well typing. I have a love for words, and I like to use them. I have a pretty major habit of finding words I don't know and keeping a little glossary of them.

Anyway, back to the actual reason for this log. So for a while I have been interested in Spironolactone for my acne, I wasn't too sure I would be able to get it prescribed in Scotland but went to my GP anyway with this doubt in mind - to my bloody surprise she actualy prescribed me it! Ha, I was pretty chuffed. So today was my first day of taking it, 25mg.

My story of my acne is on my profile if you wish to read it, I'm just hoping Spiro does help and I intend of being positive about it - creative visualisation and all that jazz.

I'm keeping this log in the hopes that it keeps me sane and proactive, I have a tendancy to spiral into a little depressive mode where I am extremely negative and I really want to stop this. I will do my bestest to keep it up-to-date and informative about my thoughts, feelings and everything else.

Wish me luck smile.png

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 02/13/2013 12:14 pm

Good luck, and I hope it works out for you! :)

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/14/2013 2:20 pm

hey i felt that way too in that i couldn't sleep when i started taking spiro. so i would take a melatonin around 10 and now i take my spiro like 5 minutes before i fall asleep. you could also just take your pill in the morning too and see how that goes. what i did was i started at 25 then 1 week later i started taking 50 then 3 weeks later i went up to 75 and a few weeks after that my derm bumped me up to 100mg which is what i will stay on since i am starting accutane soon.

just a note that melatonin is all natural (your body produces this stuff) and you only need 1 pill. i take mine at least 2 hours before bed.

good luck to you and pm if you have any other questions about it.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/14/2013 10:57 pm

Okay I have decided to start my own wee log, I've actually always wanted to do one of these as I like writing...well typing. I have a love for words, and I like to use them. I have a pretty major habit of finding words I don't know and keeping a little glossary of them.

Anyway, back to the actual reason for this log. So for a while I have been interested in Spironolactone for my acne, I wasn't too sure I would be able to get it prescribed in Scotland but went to my GP anyway with this doubt in mind - to my bloody surprise she actualy prescribed me it! Ha, I was pretty chuffed. So today was my first day of taking it, 25mg.

My story of my acne is on my profile if you wish to read it, I'm just hoping Spiro does help and I intend of being positive about it - creative visualisation and all that jazz.

I'm keeping this log in the hopes that it keeps me sane and proactive, I have a tendancy to spiral into a little depressive mode where I am extremely negative and I really want to stop this. I will do my bestest to keep it up-to-date and informative about my thoughts, feelings and everything else.

Wish me luck :)

Hey! I also just started taking spiro.. I'm on my 3rd day at 100 mg. hoping this medication is the one for me... I finished a 7 month accutane course in mid October I was clear until a few weeks ago then bam I woke up with my acne creeping back up on me... So here I am starting spiro and hoping its the fix for me like it has been for so many other ladies. I'm glad to have ran across this topic and hopefully we can all compare our journeys.

Also I'm not sure what time you are taking your pill but my obgyn recommended that I take mine in the morning because people can have sleeping issues. I take mine at 7 am and by the end of the day I have no issues sleeping..

Best of luck!!

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 02/15/2013 7:02 am

Good morning people, so I don't know what happened to the last post I tried to post...it seems it kind of jelled so-to-speak with my "quoted" post which is weird? I even tried to copy and paste it but it just kept doing it :S I had no idea how to fix it!

I hope this post works out fine. I just wanted to inform you that my stomach is giving me serious grief, like serious grief. I had a small bout of diarrhea yesterday and the full day my stomach was growling and making weird noises, it is also sore when I press on it. It seems I am pretty gassy too :/

I'm not really sure it could be something I ate or what, I only ate an omlette for breakfast with peppers, mushrooms and some salad consisting of tomatoes and sweet corn - I usually eat omlettes fine too with no problems - then all I ate in the afternoon was some dried fruit and a bit of 85% dark chocolate which I LOVE! Then my last meal was a home-made chilli that I made, my stomach was acting up that much that I did not really feel like eating too much.

I did sleep well last night which was a bonus though! :D I took my Spiro in the morning about 10am and I was soo sleep around 10pm, so I think maybe I was just nervous about Valentines Day ha.

This morning, Ive took my spiro at 11am but my stomach is still making weird noises and is still a bit sore...I do think diarrhea is a symptom of spiro, Ive read this, so hopefully it does ease off. I haven't felt hungry all morning weirdly enough and have only had a hot water and lemon but I just poured myself a lovely cup of coffee (40ml FF milk and 1tsp coffee) - this is my ONLY vice. I did go completely caffiene free for about a good month or so, but I had a coffee as a "treat" and after that treat I had the taste for it again. I am trying to limit it, so I am having one maybe every second day which is fine...but I want to try going dairy-free again (bearing in mind the only dairy I ever eat is full fat milk with coffee and feta cheese occasionally) I hate Soya milk though, that gave me realllllllly bad gas. BUT I found this Almond Breeze milk which I have heard alot about in America, so I gave it a go and loved it! It is dairy free too which is a bonus, its just hard because I live with my mum and little brother and theres always full fat milk in the fridge so it is much easier to use it lol.

Hey! I also just started taking spiro.. I'm on my 3rd day at 100 mg. hoping this medication is the one for me... I finished a 7 month accutane course in mid October I was clear until a few weeks ago then bam I woke up with my acne creeping back up on me... So here I am starting spiro and hoping its the fix for me like it has been for so many other ladies. I'm glad to have ran across this topic and hopefully we can all compare our journeys.

Also I'm not sure what time you are taking your pill but my obgyn recommended that I take mine in the morning because people can have sleeping issues. I take mine at 7 am and by the end of the day I have no issues sleeping..

Best of luck!!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 02/15/2013 10:14 pm

I love Almond Breeeze hifive.gif

Are you taking spiro with food? It's best to take it with food so it absorbs properly and doesn't give you stomach problems

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/15/2013 11:14 pm

Hey thankyou very much :) Im sorry to hear accutane did not work out too well for you, Ive read stories on here actually where people's acne comes back after accutane, that's what makes me believe even MORE that acne is a sympton of a worse cause that accutane cannot fix. I beleieve so much that it is internal, so hopefully spiro will work for you and maybe help balance out your hormones.

Thanks for the tip I have started taking it in the morning :) Im just hoping my stomach issues get better. Im hoping to stay on 25mg for a few weeks and then progress up to 50mg so we will see how it goes. What is your acne like?

All the best for you too!

I thought accutane was working very well actually. I have recently been under a very high stress situation, sure enough my acne started to return. Either the stress caused the acne to come back or it was just going to happen anyways. Either way I am glad I was able to start spiro. I didn't want to do accutane again. I agree acne is internal, I really need to get a food intolerance test done and see if maybe the culprit is something I am consuming often..

My acne right now is just back at the starting stages a couple inflammed zits have popped up and my forehead is breaking out with little non inflammed acne all over. When I met with my obgyn she told me if my ance started to return to tell her right away so we can control it with the spiro and that's what I did. Hopefully I was able to start the spiro fast enough and nothing serious is going to pop up. Crossing my fingers there. How is your acne? Like green gables said try taking the pill with food, that should help with the stomach issues hopefully!

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 02/17/2013 11:08 am

I love Almond Breeeze hifive.gif

Are you taking spiro with food? It's best to take it with food so it absorbs properly and doesn't give you stomach problems

Thank's Green Gables, I was taking it with food, but just before eating so maybe if I eat half of breakfast first, then take it and finish breakfast. That might work better :)

Almond breeze is great! Its funny I think Scotland is trying to turn into America, Edinburgh has just opened their FIRST Krispy Creme donut shop lol, thank the lord I ain't a donut person.

I was wondering, before you went on spiro did you ever have a lot of clogged/congested skin like bumps?

Hey thankyou very much smile.png Im sorry to hear accutane did not work out too well for you, Ive read stories on here actually where people's acne comes back after accutane, that's what makes me believe even MORE that acne is a sympton of a worse cause that accutane cannot fix. I beleieve so much that it is internal, so hopefully spiro will work for you and maybe help balance out your hormones.

Thanks for the tip I have started taking it in the morning smile.png Im just hoping my stomach issues get better. Im hoping to stay on 25mg for a few weeks and then progress up to 50mg so we will see how it goes. What is your acne like?

All the best for you too!

I thought accutane was working very well actually. I have recently been under a very high stress situation, sure enough my acne started to return. Either the stress caused the acne to come back or it was just going to happen anyways. Either way I am glad I was able to start spiro. I didn't want to do accutane again. I agree acne is internal, I really need to get a food intolerance test done and see if maybe the culprit is something I am consuming often..

My acne right now is just back at the starting stages a couple inflammed zits have popped up and my forehead is breaking out with little non inflammed acne all over. When I met with my obgyn she told me if my ance started to return to tell her right away so we can control it with the spiro and that's what I did. Hopefully I was able to start the spiro fast enough and nothing serious is going to pop up. Crossing my fingers there. How is your acne? Like green gables said try taking the pill with food, that should help with the stomach issues hopefully!

I had been offered to see a derm to consider accutane by my doc but I think that it is a HUGE step, I actually applaud you for taking it and having a good experience with it. Lets hope Spiro works well for you this time :)

I have always wanted a food intolerance test thing done too but they are pretty expensive and Im not sure if my doctor would let me do it for free on the NHS :/ I guess all you could do is trial-and-error, switch this and that and see what works.

What is an obgyn? I've heard that alot on this site lol. I hope your acne doesn't get any worse but thankfully does not sound too bad but I suppose its more of a mental process isn't it. Um mines right now: I had my period 2 weeks ago and with that I accustomed a few small papule spots around the corners of my mouth and one under my nose..I know for a fact when they heal they will leave a red mark! I have ALOT of tiny tiny spots all over the bottom areas of my cheeks and around my nose, I have currently a large cyst/papule thing on the side of my forehead and many, I mean many, clogged/non inflamed bumpy acne all over my forhead. I seriously hope and PRAY that Spiro helps me out.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 02/17/2013 11:56 am

Day 5 of 25mg Spiro

Good afternoon subscribers, thought I'd type today smile.png

So yesterday I had a stressssful day, I broke up with my boyfriend of only a month and a bit, but before the act I was EXTREMELY unsetteled. My stomach was churning and nerves were everwhere. I have alot of empathy and compassion and did not want to hurt him, Im very much like that. But its over, and I feel relieved. Anyway, this past weekend I have had not a good amount of sleep :/ I don't know if its the Spiro or just this situation. I'm hoping I sleep well tonight though since I have a free day tomorrow and am not as stressed...I feel good. So I will inform you with that.

You know that annoying feeling when someone (who actually claims to have "severe" acne when its literally just a cluster of about 4 spots around the chin once a month) tells you how you "should" treat your skin? Well I had that today at work. Honestly, I'm fed up with it. I was telling her that I started Spiro and it was making me feel a little sick but Im going to give it time to get into my system. Straight away "Stop it then, don't listen to your doctor, Ive told you HUNDREDS of times (she seriously has) to do the clinique regime, it totally works fast and with help you completely" - well Im sorry but please just stop right there. Im not giving up on my belief that it is INTERNAL and no frigging chemical can sort that shit out. It may help but not indefinately. I get this all the time whenever I'm down at work and need support.

With regards to my SKIN, I'm hating on it right now. Avoiding mirrors like the plague, it just seems to look alot more redder recently and I have a few papules on my mouth area, I put on a clay mask yesterday and to be honest I ADORE my face when I wash that off...it just looks so clear, its weird. I also have loads of under-skin bumps on my foreahead area, all over it...I hate that, they are like skin-coloured but just makes my skin look disgusting you know, Im hoping the Spiro can actually help this.

Ive been contemplating a good exfoliator, any suggestions? I have never really exfoliated - not properly anyway I don't think. I have Paulas Choice BHA 2% liquid cream and used it a couple times but Im confused with it, I didnt know wether to wash it off or not, I never noticed a significant difference really. My regime currently is just wash my face with water-only once per day and sometimes tone with apply cyder vingar and spot treat with tea tree oil...or sometimes I leave it. It is VERY minimal.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/17/2013 10:31 pm

I had been offered to see a derm to consider accutane by my doc but I think that it is a HUGE step, I actually applaud you for taking it and having a good experience with it. Lets hope Spiro works well for you this time :)

I have always wanted a food intolerance test thing done too but they are pretty expensive and Im not sure if my doctor would let me do it for free on the NHS :/ I guess all you could do is trial-and-error, switch this and that and see what works.

What is an obgyn? I've heard that alot on this site lol. I hope your acne doesn't get any worse but thankfully does not sound too bad but I suppose its more of a mental process isn't it. Um mines right now: I had my period 2 weeks ago and with that I accustomed a few small papule spots around the corners of my mouth and one under my nose..I know for a fact when they heal they will leave a red mark! I have ALOT of tiny tiny spots all over the bottom areas of my cheeks and around my nose, I have currently a large cyst/papule thing on the side of my forehead and many, I mean many, clogged/non inflamed bumpy acne all over my forhead. I seriously hope and PRAY that Spiro helps me out.

I didn't even know anything about spiro or even heard of it until after I started accutane otherwise I would have tried spiro before I tried accutane. It took me years of my dermatologist throwing accutane in my face before I finally caved in a took it. It was a difficult and scary decision. I will admit that. Everyday being on that medication worried me. Anything going on with my body I was worried accutane was causing it. And I am somewhat sure it did, like sore back and joint pains. Somedays I felt like I was a 90 year old woman. With really chapped lips haha. I am really hoping that spiro is the answer for me. I always would read green gables posts about spiro and she would say try spiro if accutane failed and that is what I am doing.

I haven't looked into getting a food intolerance test done yet. I always figured insurance would cover it.. Maybe that isn't that case. I should look into it because my luck I'm allergic to gluten or something and I don't know it and I am in love with breads. I suppose the try and test it out method would work too but that is a lot of time into cutting things out and playing the waiting game. I'd rather have the test done if it is cost effective for me.

An obgyn is a gynecologist and obstetrician. In the us you would see a obgyn while you are pregnant and to get pap smears and birth control and all your womanly stuff. A general practioner would be able to do most of the same things a obgyn would. A obgyn is just specialized in it. My obgyn is very open to the idea of acne being hormonal, my dermatologist never even wanted to explore that idea which seems pretty close minded ya know?

Sounds like spiro should do the trick for your skin. Do you plan on going on a higher dose? My obgyn started me at 100mg daily and said she will take a look at me in 3 months and see if she needs to build me up too 200mg even. She didnt seem shy about me starting at 100. 25mg seems so low compared. I suppose it is best to get clear on lower doses if possible. That makes more sense to only take the amount of medication it takes to clear you.

Your right thought waiting to get clear from medication is all mental. I am used to the waiting game though. I was breaking out on accutane until my 4th month on the medication. While it seemed everyone else was clearing in month 2 and 3 I was still getting acne daily. It was quite a mental struggle. Once you commit to taking a medication and put your faith into it, it is easy to become discouraged when you aren't getting the results you expected as quickly as you would like.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 02/18/2013 4:20 pm

Yes, my chin was quite congested with the small bumps.

I should iterate here that spiro prevents new acne but it does not heal existing acne. If you have a lot of clogged pores that are not resolving, you WILL need to use a topical such as Retin-A or get some salicylic acid peels (10% or higher) to clear those out. When my actives were gone I still had a number of clogged pores that required several months of Retin A and a 10% salicylic acid gel to clear up.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 02/20/2013 4:15 am

Day 8 of 25mg - Good News.

Morning guys! Hope you are all doing well :)

I actually am feeling alright today for some reason - this is a good thing! Sadly I don't have any lemons so I'm not drinking my hot lemon water, so Im having a wee cup of tea instead, with milk too. Yesterday I had quite a day with food, for some reason I cannot resisit the scrummy hot Mochas at the college, like ohmygoodness it is like heaven in a cup. I normally manage until Friday to treat myself with one but I kinda went mad. For some reason I was in the mood to get a bit drunk, but after half of my phone book refused the pub idea I just left it. Instead though I wallowed my way through some Bramley apple pie and ice cream - 2 servings. I feel a bit sick today because of it lol

Now I don't normally wash my face in the morning, but some days it looks kinda red and my hyperpigmentation marks are very noticable and it can be more bumby. Today it looks not too bad, the marks on the far sides of my cheeks (sideburn area) are practically non-existant, and the right side feels...smoooooth. The only thing that looks bad on my skin currently - minus the BUMPS - is this cystic pustule thin at the top of my uni-brow, have you ever had a large spot burst during the midle of the night and its all blood red in the morning? Well that's what has happened - it looks like an extraction gone wrong.

Im trying my bestest to stay positive about everything, and I am. Ive been wanting to go on Spiro for almost a year now, it really did appeal to me when I decided not to go back on the BCP's, which I was on for 4 and a half years. I am pretty confident about it.

Also I am extremely happy to report that the bacd stomach issues AND horrible diarreah (sp?) I was experiencing has actually ceased! Thank goodness :D On top of this I have been experiencing an increased in lethargy and get pretty knackered around half 11am ish/12ish but I have been sleeping like a charm. The only thing that is kinda bugging is the increased thirst now, but I do not mind this one bit.

Have a lovely day guys, hopefully it is sunny where you are today, its pretty cold and bleak up in Scotland, no rain though so theres a plus!

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 02/20/2013 5:09 am

I didn't even know anything about spiro or even heard of it until after I started accutane otherwise I would have tried spiro before I tried accutane. It took me years of my dermatologist throwing accutane in my face before I finally caved in a took it. It was a difficult and scary decision. I will admit that. Everyday being on that medication worried me. Anything going on with my body I was worried accutane was causing it. And I am somewhat sure it did, like sore back and joint pains. Somedays I felt like I was a 90 year old woman. With really chapped lips haha. I am really hoping that spiro is the answer for me. I always would read green gables posts about spiro and she would say try spiro if accutane failed and that is what I am doing.

I haven't looked into getting a food intolerance test done yet. I always figured insurance would cover it.. Maybe that isn't that case. I should look into it because my luck I'm allergic to gluten or something and I don't know it and I am in love with breads. I suppose the try and test it out method would work too but that is a lot of time into cutting things out and playing the waiting game. I'd rather have the test done if it is cost effective for me.

An obgyn is a gynecologist and obstetrician. In the us you would see a obgyn while you are pregnant and to get pap smears and birth control and all your womanly stuff. A general practioner would be able to do most of the same things a obgyn would. A obgyn is just specialized in it. My obgyn is very open to the idea of acne being hormonal, my dermatologist never even wanted to explore that idea which seems pretty close minded ya know?

Sounds like spiro should do the trick for your skin. Do you plan on going on a higher dose? My obgyn started me at 100mg daily and said she will take a look at me in 3 months and see if she needs to build me up too 200mg even. She didnt seem shy about me starting at 100. 25mg seems so low compared. I suppose it is best to get clear on lower doses if possible. That makes more sense to only take the amount of medication it takes to clear you.

Your right thought waiting to get clear from medication is all mental. I am used to the waiting game though. I was breaking out on accutane until my 4th month on the medication. While it seemed everyone else was clearing in month 2 and 3 I was still getting acne daily. It was quite a mental struggle. Once you commit to taking a medication and put your faith into it, it is easy to become discouraged when you aren't getting the results you expected as quickly as you would like.

It certainly would be difficult to mentally digest the fact you are intolerant to gluten wouldn't it? It is in most things. Recently I have been obsessed with searching online for recipes without gluten ingredients (alot of Paleo websites) I myself eat a limited gluten and dairy diet. I have not ate bread since October, and I tell you it was one of theee most diffiult things for me to give up since I ate so so much of it. So believe me when you say you love bread, I did too! I could never imgaine my life without a yummy big slice of bread toasted with a big dollop of PB smeared on top, and it I was feeling naughty (which I mostly always did) I would put some dark chocolate drops on top so the chocolate would melt! Now that was heaven to me. But now I can't think of any other reason why I'd want to eat bread. I don't care for it anymore.

Ah, I understand what an obgyn is now! I actually wish we had them over here, would be good to have someone specialist in that area. I have actually been intrigued to go and visit an endocrinologist and check out my hormones more thoroughly. Ive never visited a derm but Ive heard alot of mixed reviews on here with them. they do sound pretty closed minded, then again Im pretty biased since I believe wholeheartedly that the government keep us suffering to just get our money from the purchase of many topicals, anti-biotics and such. Therefore say there was a cure or a cure through diet that could be more emphasised, I beleieve they would just totally dismiss it. Theres this thing the now in the UK where there is going to be a 20% tax on ALL soft drinks and junk foods in the hopes of curbing the obesity epidemic.

Thankyou for your kind words :) I do plan on going upto 50mg soon enough, perhaps in about a few weeks. 25mg does seem very low compared to 100mg, it makes me wonder if you would experience more side effects, like increased thirst as opposed to myself? Then again I suppose it will affect everyone differently. I actually read a thread about a girl who got clear after 9 months on 25mg and had little to no side effects, that really appeals to me. Mind you it is a long time.

It is easy to get discouraged but that's why I enjoy this website since you have alot of wonderful people who can help you feel more upbeat and help you keep fighting! I hope you don't discouraged, just envision how you would like yourself to look in the next few months and smile :) KNOW that you'll have it! (easier said that done I know lol)

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 02/21/2013 2:18 pm

Day 9 of 25mg

Ive felt a little discouraged today. I hate how days can be so juxtaposed...one day your amazing, the next your low.

Thankfully Im not experiencing major side effects :) Im just hating on my skin today, I kinda caught my face in a small mirror at college (BAD lighting, you know that bright florescent one - doesn't help that the walls and everything else is white.) and I noticed that there are actually so many bumps all over my forehead, like skin coloured but all frigging over. It just looks so disgusting to me and I hate knowing that its on my face like that.

I also went to the bathroom at college, and just about as I was leaving three girls walked in, they were from a Beauty therapy class so they had all their hair and make-up done perrrrfectly. And there was me. Infront of them trying to get past. I heard them giggling alot after I walked away...I KNOW they may probably not have been giggling at my skin or whatever but it just seemed to heighten my total HATE for my skin today. Acht.

I used a clay mask again today, I mix Bentonite Clay with apple cider vinegar, I do actually like it and probably only use it once/twice a week max. I like feeling it pulsating and imagining it cleaning my skin. Im actually considering getting some sort of facial or something, maybe to try and extract all these bumps or something, I dunno, I shall look into it!

And another thing I wanted to mention I noticed on my Spiro the brand name is Actavist, I am guessing that this is a generic brand? I hope it doesn't mean it is less effective than Aldactone.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 02/25/2013 8:48 am

Day 13 on 25mg Spiro

Hey guys want to apologise for the slight absence. Hope you are all okay though and still keeping your head's held SO friggin' high! smile.png because you do deserve to you know, you deserve to walk down the street and feel like a queen or king if your a guy. You do though, no-one and I mean not any one person has the right to make you feel as though you shouldn't/cannot do that. And if they do then they are one hell of a malicious, materialistic, down-right A-hole - with a capital A.

I have had a mixed few days. This morning was great, on Monday mornings I go for a walk/jog kind of thing and on my journey this small, seemingly lost, dog ran past me. The next thing all I could hear was whistling and shouting but I could not see who was shouting. So I stopped and it then became clear that the man who was shouting lost his dog - the one that ran right past me.

So I was kinda confused, didn't know whether to keep going and forget about this or help him. I literally paced up and down a couple metres thinknig about this. My heart got the better of me and I actually walked in the direction of the wee dog, and after a few minutes I saw him. He was just having the time of his life I guess sniffing about a new territory, chasing his tale and all that jazz...I eventually whistled on him and he started at me then after a few minutes he came running to me and went past me and back to his owner. Im not gonna lie I felt pretty good about myself.

I like those little things in life, the ones that make you relfect and think. Surely that was a test of heart/compassion/empathy or something similar from life? Surely!? Well I certainly passed it. Ance is a test too though, I believe. Don't you? I personally believe it is a test of patience, courage and confidence.

I had trouble sleeping this weekend :/ like a whole 6 hours the full weekend. It was horrible and I felt shitty and because I felt so tired and lethargic I made bad food choices, BAD. So aside from feeling guilty about eating a shed load of crap and hating on my body right now, I haven't felt disgusted by my skin. Its been no too bad recently, my right cheek is especially doing well. A large spot with accumulated seemingly overnight a couple weeks ago is now practically gone. I would say the only thing noticable is my red Hyperpigmentation marks, but overall Im feeling alright with it just now. It is still bumpy too but not AS much, considering the amount of sugar I gorged on at the weekend...honestly.

As for the spiro, could be my imagination but I have noticed a bit more hair shedding from what I normally get, Im trying to keep this tucked away in my mind though because I love my hair (you know that ONE thing you actually adore/like/love about your appearance) and I don't want to bring focus to the idea of it going somewhere. On top of that I have been more thirsty and peeing just a a couple extra times a day smile.png

Have an awesome day people!

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 02/26/2013 4:48 pm

I just wanted you guys to have a listen at how good this song is. I absolutely love this guy, and I only heard him yesterday for the first time!

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 02/27/2013 6:40 am

Day 15 25mg Spiro

Morning, Im feeling mixed feelings. On the bad side I have a wee minor breakout it seems. Over night NIGHT I have accumulated about 5 spots with heads around my chin and mouth area...not good. I don't know if it is the anti-depressants kicking in or what (oh yea I started taking them again 4 days ago) but I don't feel ashamed as I normally would about my skin...I think it is because I believe sooo strongly that Spiro will work for me. It will...right? But then again maybe the anti-depressants have caused this? Who knows. They are a lttle sore and I never get sore spots, they actually seem as though they won't last very long though.

Also I was freaking out today because everytime I play with my hair a few strands fall out. Is this just paranioa?

Anyway hope you are all doing well!

MemberMember
(@zulu59)

Posted : 02/28/2013 10:28 pm

Thanks for making this Spiro log...i just started today and honestly...i'm terrified. my derm doc didn't tell me ANYTHING about spiro, or that i might have an IB, so i've been doing all of the research myself. Hoping for the best!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/01/2013 10:44 pm

Hey I wanted to check in and see how things are going with you and your spiro. Are you still on the 25mg? I am still doing the 100mg and things havent changed much. I am getting little white heads about daily maybe one or two tiny little guys though and I can just prick them and they go away the next day. My forehead has cleared up since starting three weeks ago. I am using witch hazel in my am and pm face wash routine and then every other night I use retin a mixed with my moisturizer. Hoping to kill the ance inside and out! Seems to be doing the trick. It doesn't dry me out too bad and moisturizing helps that out right away. I know the spiro will only stop acne from coming it won't actually heal anything on the outside so we need to treat the acne we already have with topicals or peels or whatever.

Hopefully you are having more good days than bad and the new medication is helping you stay positive! I doubt it is breaking you out though. I am thinking if you feel like you've been breaking out since starting it, you are probably getting the famous spiro IB. The timing is just crappy. Hang in there sweetie time and spiro will heal you up :)

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 03/02/2013 2:15 pm

Day 18 25mg Spiro

Evening guys, just a quick update. So Im feeling extrememly low at the moment. The low-ness is due to the fact I had 1 hour sleep, ONE hour sleep, last night before working (6am-2pm). I hate not being able to get to sleep, I feel for me sleeping soundly is like an integral part of what I NEED - but for some reason I find it so difficult at the weekends, before work.

I also feel extremely bloated, I went over-board on the PB yesterday again, and also my period is due today apparantly so it could be that. I just feel horrible and just fat and disgusting. I hate this feeling, I hate it so so much...I normally try my best to look on the positive side of shit but today I'm not having it.

My skin doesn't look too bad, it is not as red as normal which is a good thing, but I still have a few spots im places that have cropped up this past week...I am starting to believe that it is the initial breakout. This is just 2 and a half weeks in so Im thinking and hoping in my mind that by about week 8 I will hopefully see improvements?

I just hope I sleep tonight I have another 6-2 shift tomorrow.

Hey I wanted to check in and see how things are going with you and your spiro. Are you still on the 25mg? I am still doing the 100mg and things havent changed much. I am getting little white heads about daily maybe one or two tiny little guys though and I can just prick them and they go away the next day. My forehead has cleared up since starting three weeks ago. I am using witch hazel in my am and pm face wash routine and then every other night I use retin a mixed with my moisturizer. Hoping to kill the ance inside and out! Seems to be doing the trick. It doesn't dry me out too bad and moisturizing helps that out right away. I know the spiro will only stop acne from coming it won't actually heal anything on the outside so we need to treat the acne we already have with topicals or peels or whatever.

Hopefully you are having more good days than bad and the new medication is helping you stay positive! I doubt it is breaking you out though. I am thinking if you feel like you've been breaking out since starting it, you are probably getting the famous spiro IB. The timing is just crappy. Hang in there sweetie time and spiro will heal you up smile.png

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 03/04/2013 2:27 pm

Spiro can make you more of an insomniac. This was resolved for me by taking by morning dose at 8am and my evening dose at 3pm.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 03/04/2013 6:17 pm

Are you going to up your dose? Based on your pics I would say you're going to need 100mg to see results.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/04/2013 8:56 pm

Hey :) how have you been doing lately? Im still on 25mg yea, I plan to stay on at this dosage for at least another few weeks to a month. Im so happy to hear that you are only experiencing tiny white heads that clear quickly, that is great. The fact that your forehead is clearing on week three gives me hope! Il be at the start of week three in 3 days but I still have congested skin on my forehead, not so much my cheeks anymore. I have noticed that the redness has gone down ALOT, but I also take 3000iu Vit D a day so I think that could be helping too :) do you take any supplements at all?

I was wondering are you experiencing any other symptoms with the 100mg?

Thankyou for your encouraging words, it really really means alot to me especially on a crappy day like this :) hope your having a good relaxing weekend

I have been doing well thank you for asking. Spiro seems to be working to stop new breakouts from happening. I am maybe getting a tiny whitehead every few days otherwise things seem to be clearing. Forehead is doing good and I have just a few healing whiteheads. I start month 2 next week and I'm hoping for more improvements from here on out! Then I get to continue to work on these red marks I have. I never was able to get rid of them after accutane so hopefully spiro will keep me clear and I can work on the more superficial parts of acne.

I do take supplements, I take fish oil daily and probiotics. As far as side effects or anything no I don't experience anythings out of the norm. I drink more water and use the bathroom a tad more than usual but nothing that crazy. Maybe 2 or 3 times more a day tops. Luckly it hasn't affected me at night at all. I take my 100mg all at once when I wake up. I have thought about splitting the pill and taking 50 in the morning and then 50 at lunch time or something. I'm not sure that would be beneficial or not. Something to think about... How are you today?

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 03/05/2013 12:53 pm

Thanks for making this Spiro log...i just started today and honestly...i'm terrified. my derm doc didn't tell me ANYTHING about spiro, or that i might have an IB, so i've been doing all of the research myself. Hoping for the best!

Hey Zulu :) thanks for taking the time to read my log! I wish you good luck with Spiro. What dosage are you doing?

So...this is very difficult for me but I've decided to post a few pictures.

This is me, mid week 8 on spironolactone, BCP, Acanya Gel and HQRA. I am red, inflammed and dry with 3 very non-coverupable acne lesions and lots of half pimples, post inflammatory scarring, blackheads and clogged pores. It's not a pretty picture, but I thought it might give hope to anyone who is at this stage on spiro and not happy with the results.

If you don't know me, I've treated my skin with spironolactone before and I remember it taking a LONG time to finally work. About 4 months. But when it did work it REALLY worked.

I actually looked better a few days ago but I had a major emotional binge and ate everything in sight with sugar, dairy and gluten. It was a lot of self sabotage and caused tons of inflammation to my acne. I'm not proud of it, but it's the honest truth.

My advice for anyone just starting a new acne regime, epecially spiro, is to be patient and help your body along by nourishing it with plenty of whole plant-based foods and do your best to avoid sugar and dairy. Gluten is still controversial but it doesn't hurt to cut it for a few weeks and then test it again to see if it makes a difference.

Hey love :) I appreciate this post and this is a very brave step for you to post pictures of yourself. I love how you are honest about your binge, have you had any past issues with binge eating or anything? You still look beautiful in your pictures and honestly I wouldn't even notice them if I were to see you in real life because Im pretty sure your personality and charisma would far out weigh any silly blemish!

After I binge, my skin tends to be fine after a good few days to a week. I know exactly how you must have felt after it. That horrible rise of guilt which surfaces every inch of your mind, the feeling of anger at yourself. Its during those times though that we must not get angry with ourself and just acknowledge what happened and be easy on ourselves, we are aloud to live a little and go over board sometimes...we are only human.

I hope your feeling better Sierra, get outside for a lovely walk and see the beauty in life and nature, even go for a nice jog/run. Keep your chin up!

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 03/07/2013 6:58 am

Day 23 (week 3) Spiro 25mg

Morning guys! How is everyone today then? The weather is absolutely rubbish over here today, I was going to go for a lovely jog but it has unfortunately been postponed.

So today I'm feeling not too bad but not too great either. I actually had a night out the other day to celebrate a friends 21st birthday, I drank a bit much more alcohol than planned (why do I always do that??) and was extremely hungover yesterday. I tend to make bad food choices when I feel like that (thankfully I only feel like that probably once or twice a month) but I ate bread man, BREAD. God.

So I am taking this as a new day and trying to forget about it, fair enough it happend, back to reality. The coming weekend I have made the conscious decision of re-newing my gym membership and starting that up again - I had to take time off with an injury I had suffered. Im excited about starting swimming again though, it has literally been months since I swam! I do work-out almost everyday, well Im active anyway. I try to walk almost everywhere, do work-out dvd's like yoga /pilates, this cardio thing called Turbo Jam - its actually American - which involves alot of kickboxing moves. I tend to make up my own type of workouts since I have equipment at home like my weights and things (I favour weights over everything since they are EXTREMELY beneficial to women). I try to do something everyday anyway.

I actually straightened my hair the other day and have noticed that my hair is fine, totally fine and have not noticed any less hair falling out like what I was at the beginning of taking Spiro. I must have just been paraniod. My thirst isn't even as bad and my urinating os not too drastic either - am I becoming like used to it or something? Is that even possible? Does your boddy accustom to it?

The large spots I had about a week ago are still there but not nearly as bad as when they had appeared, mostly just papule type marks, they are also alot smaller. My period still has NOT appeared it is now 5 days LATE. I hate it when it is late. They are so frigging irregular.

Another good thing I have noticed is I had aalot of small, folliculitis type spots on my back, mostly the upper back and on my chest however the ones on my back have SIGNIFICANTLY cleared, like they aint there at all...it is smooth skin now and I only have about 5-6 tiny tiny spots (skin-couloured). My chest has improved alot too.