Notifications
Clear all

Do You Know Anyone With Acne And Isn't Bothered By It At All?

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 02/10/2013 10:40 pm

My acne has come back and i have been very depressed because of it. I'm male and 26. I knew someone from a friend back in college a few years ago who i met who had severe acne. Basically as bad as my acne was at that time, it wasn't as bad as his.

However, this guy didn't give a damn about it. I honestly didn't know how it was possible. Me and my friend would talk and we would mention about his severe acne and what he could do about it... my friend's g/f actually recommended him some proactiv etc though that is kind of rude... but we all knew each other well so it was to help him.

The thing is i told him what products to use to help his acne though his was severe and might not work for him. I did tell him however that he had to stop eating junk food. He used to eat so much junkfood so whatever he did to his face, it wasn't going to work if he kept eating the way he did.

Well he then mentioned how he didn't really care. He also mentioned how he did try the proactiv once and some other product but quit it b/c it didn't work. However, i told him its b/c he didn't stop eating bad so it wouldn't work anyways or he didn't give it enough time. He said it doesn't matter how his face look and I kind of wanted to say but i didn't.. however i told my other friend this and he agreed that well wouldn't you want to not have acne while going out? I mean, there are ppl that would judge you and give u a look etc and i noticed that many ppl when i was with him would give a look to his face due to his severe acne.

Has anyone ever met or know a person with severe acne and didn't give a crap about it? I mean this guy was not shy at all going in public or hanging out with friends etc even with his severe acne.

MemberMember
(@random1)

Posted : 02/10/2013 10:58 pm

I have met people that have had acne but have still maintained very extroverted and friendly personality. An ex-friend of mine was such a awesome person to be around regardless of how she looked. She always stayed as herself and was friendly to me (a fellow acne sufferer) regardless of how I looked. I can say she was a huge impact in developing the mantra in me that reads " The people who matter don't care, and the people that care don't matter"

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 02/11/2013 2:06 am

Really? that's cool ask him how he does it is there a certain technique lol. when i had it sever in high school i defiantly felt every nasty look, every comment joke & embarrassment but i would just sucked it up, take every blow and deal with it. i'd drag on another day by my sheer will & because of that i consider myself to be very strong at heart and of the mind, more the most i'd say. but a man can only take so much, now i'm sick of this situation it's been years. you can act like you don't care but it will always be on your mind, because you have to know it's there to ignore it in the first place, there are way's to help cope with it but to not care at all. That's very hard to do.. i mean who like's being made fun of and set aside to be made a fool of on what is almost a daily basis?

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 02/11/2013 1:19 pm

I dont know. This guy just likes to go around every place. I really have no clue how he does it. He doesn't even care about his severe acne at all. He's smiling laughing etc.

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 02/11/2013 3:07 pm

Mad respect to him. I wish i was the same. Today i felt shit about myself in general, not just about acne. Its something i always try to improve, but its so hard. Every day i tell myself ok, its a new day, today you will act normal.Socialize.Talk to that girl you like. However i just keep quit at school. Who the fuck wants to socialize with me? Theres only about 5 people i actually talk to regularly and thats only cause they ride my bus and walk home with me. High School blows

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 02/11/2013 3:09 pm

No, I never have. But just because a person doesn't show it doesn't mean they aren't bothered by it. There have been plenty of times that I went out when I had bad acne, laughed a lot and acted "normal" and the whole time I was dying inside and watching the clock until I could go home, where I cried myself to sleep. People are good at acting like they are okay. I doubt there are many people on the planet who don't suffer because of severe acne. Mild acne, maybe...

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 02/11/2013 5:07 pm

No. This guy had SEVERE ACNE. He didn't have the mild acne. When i use to hang out with him in college, he didn't give a damn at all. I even spoke to him privately about this and so did my friend and he said he didn't really care. I did remember a girl saying something to him about his acne and he told us about it but he was never really bothered by it. This guy didn't give a damn. He told us how he thought it was rude but didn't care.

Also this guy never hides his emotions. So i know for sure he isn't crying or super upset when he looks in the mirror b/c of his severe acne. I know what you are saying dejaciarevyant and that is like me in a way hiding my emotions but trust me this guy doesn't. Even my friend said he has got to be the strangest person we know. He is very weird so we both wonder how he didn't even care about his severe acne.

Again we both gave him advice on what to use and he said why are you guys making it a big deal? I don't care. This guy eats everything from spicy food to junk food. We told him don't bc its bad for skin and he said SO WHAT?

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 02/11/2013 5:21 pm

His not human

:)

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 02/13/2013 11:33 am

Yeah. He is a rare breed, then, for sure.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 02/13/2013 6:13 pm

Not really, I know quite a bit. One friend in high school had terrible acne, absolutely terrible 100x worse then mine huge boils all over his face, neck, back, ARMS, everywhere. He was funny as hell and had mad friends, had girlfriends and even had a SUPER fine ass girlfriend, really hot, he never cared he was really mentally tough, big into sports and such.

Other kid who also had really bad acne but not nearly as bad as other kid, but still all over his face, I was pretty good friends with this kid, Id go over his house and sometimes he would literally joke about having a pimple beard and all this other stuff, didnt give two shits. Meanwhile I was all self conscience about my mild acne, he also had girlfriends and was very social.

I was just living in hawaii for a while and knew two girls with acne who were very friendly, social to everyone, fun people to be with, didnt care about their skin at all. I can tell when someone is pretending to not care and someone who literally doesnt care, I can read people well, these people didnt care.

And now that Im thinking about it more im thinking of others who didnt care as well, I also know people who it effected very much, one of my ex-GFs got pretty bad acne out of nowhere and it destroyed her confidence, super pretty girl but it just took over her mind.

It really is hugely mental. Its hard I know Im not one who can go around not caring about acne.. I actually used to be, when I was 15-17 I had pretty bad acne all around my face and I didnt care at all.. for real, would smoke, eat as I wanted, do anything, party hard GF's didnt care. My dad was the one to first start buying me acne stuff and I told him I didnt care, he was the one who cared, after I turned 18 is when I started getting self conscience about it, and thats when it really started effecting me. My acne has been so mild though the past couple years it hasnt bothered me, I only get a spot here and there, still have scars though, but generally I just dont care and go about my day. But I fully well know if I still had full blown acne it would really effect me unfortuantely, as much I dont like to admit it probably out of vanity.. I like to look good.

MemberMember
(@kyou)

Posted : 02/18/2013 3:19 pm

My sister. She used to have severe acne. Worse than mine.

All she did was not give a shit about her face. Even when her acne literally reached its peak. She just carried on smiling.

Her acne is like 90% gone now.

And i'm here crying at very new spot I see on my face.

Geez....

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 02/18/2013 6:24 pm

well i'd like to see someone like that in person, otherwise it's pretty hard to believe. i'm sure you guy's aren't lying about it but i'v never seen someone like that in real life..

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 02/19/2013 10:25 am

I've met people who didn't SEEM bothered by it at all. I don't know if they actually were, but they were going along in life, smiling, laughing, with acne and all. Kudos to them because I get insanely bothered by even one spot.

And if this guy you know isn't bothered at all about his severe acne - why keep bringing it up to him? He doesn't care what his face looks like, well, good. It's not like acne is a threatening disease. Let him take his own measures to control it and let him /not/ be defined by his acne.

MemberMember
(@mjri94)

Posted : 02/19/2013 8:17 pm

Yeah, I knew a guy from school who just did not care one bit. He was a dick though.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 02/22/2013 8:05 am

I think anyone who has acne cares about it to some point. If you're treating it / trying to / hoping to get rid of it then that's caring about it I think. I'd say anyone who has acne, no matter how light or severe, would rather not have it. A lot of people with acne though do come across as confident or 'normal' in how they act and go about their daily lives but that doesn't mean acne doesn't bother them, or that they aren't upset by it, or that they don't break down when they're at home 'behind closed doors' etc...

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 02/22/2013 8:20 am

I agree with Lilly. I think that a lot is "theater" as well. They just put a mask on before they go to school/work.

MemberMember
(@ivyhawk)

Posted : 02/22/2013 7:46 pm

My sister. She used to have severe acne. Worse than mine.

All she did was not give a shit about her face. Even when her acne literally reached its peak. She just carried on smiling.

Her acne is like 90% gone now.

And i'm here crying at very new spot I see on my face.

Geez....

Man, thats my story exactly.

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/23/2013 4:44 am

Weirdly, I didn't really care back in school as a lot of friends and others had acne to a varying degree & it just seemed more acceptable. My acne was touching on severe at points. Looking back at some photos, I couldn't believe that I just didn't think about it.

Nowadays, one new spot really gets to me, but then most around me have lovely clear skin!

MemberMember
(@looking2thefuture)

Posted : 02/23/2013 8:30 am

Ive seen lots of people with acen who dont care about it or seemingley dont care. I would be like that if i was in my teenage years in all honest i feel its a lot harder to deal with it as an adult. That said im going deal with this mentally cos its not going beat me:)

MemberMember
(@quietjamie14)

Posted : 02/23/2013 8:43 am

Yes, I knew a boy in school (he was about 18) who had worse acne than mine, all over his face and back, but still seemed ultra-confident and extroverted. Lots of girls fancied him as a result, though he was a womaniser and didn't treat his girlfriends well at all - cheating on them, dumping them if they wouldn't have sex early on, talking down to them.

That's the other side of the coin with people who have an abundance of natural confidence (or arrogance?) - they sometimes lack empathy and kindness. He appeared to be a happy person, but wasn't really aware of - or didn't care about - how other people felt.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/23/2013 9:23 pm

I have a friend who has mild - moderate acne and does not treat it with products. She does her thing day in and day out and i aspire to have her strength. She also almost died a few years ago when she had cysts erupt in her body. I guess going through a near death experience can put things on perspective. I personally am trying to focus on all the great things happening in my life and count my blessongs, especially when others around me are suffering immensley.

This is something that we have to actively and continuously work on though but it is doable

MemberMember
(@theunluckyone)

Posted : 02/23/2013 10:44 pm

There was a guy at my high school who was outgoing and not shy at all, he seemed completely normal, except that he had severe acne (although still not as bad as mine). I didn't know him well enough, but it really didn't look like he was bothered a lot by it since he wasn't shy.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/27/2013 8:05 pm

In HS i knew a girl with bad acne..probably the worst ive seen in person. Anyways...she never talked about it or mentioned it bothering her and she NEVER wore makeup which just totally baffled me... my acne wasnt anywhere near as bad as hers and i wouldnt even take one step out my front door without full coverage foundation and pounds of concealer. But she was very friendly and had lots of friends and didnt act like she had any acne at all even though it was pretty damn obvious. I literally have no clue how she woke up every day and faced the world how she did, especially with no makeup on. A total mystery.