Notifications
Clear all

Kristen's Accutane Log

MemberMember
(@tokiosoul483)

Posted : 02/09/2013 3:22 pm

Hey everyone! I've struggled with acne for around 3 years now, and although I haven't struggled for very long, it's been the worst 3 years of my life. I have tried many topicals including erythromycin, tretinoin, duac, differin, and atralin along with oral medications like doxycycline and minocycline. I've used benzoyl perioxide & salicylic acid in every form available, from bar soap to cleanser. I have tried pretty much every over to counter brand, from the ones with chemicals to the natural and organic products. Clearly, none of it was working so now I'm giving accutane a try!

I have cystic acne and the occasional whitehead on my checks, chin, and jawline. I also have severe scarring on my cheeks and overall redness on my face. I'm hoping that accutane will make my acne go away so I can finally do something with the pre-existing scarring. Some days I feel like my scars are worse than the actual acne. :/

I am a little worried about the dryness that will surely come. I already have dry, sensitive skin, so I'm afraid that accutane will make it much worse. My lips are literally always chapped as it is now so I'm used to constantly putting chapstick on, so hopefully they won't get much worse.

I took my first pill February 6th, and so far I haven't felt/seen any difference. Obviously it'll take some time, but for now I'm hoping that I won't suffer from any severe side effects and that my skin won't get too much dryer than it already is.

I ride 3 horses competitively, so I'm outside A LOT, practicing, taking care of them, and showing. I easily get sunburnt so I'm going to have to be very careful when the sun is out. It will be difficult to make sure that I'm not outside long enough to get burnt, seeing how I live in Florida. Additionally, I'm a full time college student so naturally I'm very stressed out sometimes. Hopefully accutane won't mess with my noggin because I need that thing!

I took my first pill (Claravis, 40mg) February 6th, and so far I haven't felt/seen any difference. Obviously it'll take some time, but for now I'm hoping that I won't suffer from any severe side effects and that my skin won't get too much dryer than it already is.

My routine:

AM & PM:

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (face & neck)

Cetaphil Daily Advance Lotion (face, neck, & arms for now)

I'll make sure to take pictures along the way so everyone can visually track my progress as well as read about it. smile.png

I am also taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen birth control pills and a Vitamin E supplement. I'm fully equipped with aquaphor, chapstick, sunblock, and moisturizer! Bring. It. On.

MemberMember
(@allie920)

Posted : 02/09/2013 10:21 pm

good luck! i start accutane this friday. i am nervous!

MemberMember
(@tokiosoul483)

Posted : 02/13/2013 3:28 pm

good luck! i start accutane this friday. i am nervous!

Thanks and good luck!

DAY 8

So far I've only had 3 pimples that just so happen to be conviently placed in the same general area, which made it look worst than it really was. My skin and lips are not dry yet... hallelujah.

BUT... my scalp is INCREDIBLY DRY. I've never had a problem with that. My scalp is itchy, skin is flaking off (like dandruff) and there's some spots that are red & sore. It must be the accutane because I don't see what else could cause it. Hopefully it'll get better soon. Also, I have noticed that my skin is a little more sensitive, I get tiny little cuts that I have no idea how they happened, and kissing a guy with a stubble really irritates my chin, haha.

Other than that, there's not much else to report. I haven't seen much difference in my acne at all, but of course I still have a long time to go!