Notifications
Clear all

Should I Be Taking 10,000 Iu Of D3 Daily?

MemberMember
(@inthecut)

Posted : 02/06/2013 6:58 pm

To start off you can say I have mild acne, so I did a little research I found out Vitamin D can cure acne, so I gave it a shot.

Since last sunday, I've been taking 10K IU of D3 (One pill 5K AM & the other PM) I take them with a meal always.

I decided to take 10K because I don't go out much in the winter, so I have no source of Vitamin D

My face has been clearing up, I can just tell. It's working, and I have had no side effects.

Should I keep taking 10K or stay at 5K? or just wait till my acne clears up and stoop down to 5K?

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 02/06/2013 7:28 pm

look into b5 both topically and internal

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 02/06/2013 8:26 pm

To start off you can say I have mild acne, so I did a little research I found out Vitamin D can cure acne, so I gave it a shot.

Since last sunday, I've been taking 10K IU of D3 (One pill 5K AM & the other PM) I take them with a meal always.

I decided to take 10K because I don't go out much in the winter, so I have no source of Vitamin D

My face has been clearing up, I can just tell. It's working, and I have had no side effects.

Should I keep taking 10K or stay at 5K? or just wait till my acne clears up and stoop down to 5K?

That's really nothing to mess with, why don't you go to the doctor and have them check your vitamin D levels. Don't mean to scare you but too much Vitamin D can be fatal.

MemberMember
(@txngrl)

Posted : 02/06/2013 8:36 pm

You are probably deficient, but you should have a blood test to be sure. You've only been supplementing for 4 days, and you already think it's clearing up? It usually takes longer than that to see improvement. And, 10K IU will not hurt you... some people take a lot more than that to get their levels back up... temporarily, of course.

Get your blood drawn... results come back in just a few days.

MemberMember
(@torquemonster)

Posted : 02/10/2013 9:43 pm

You should have your blood checked to find out what your vitamin D level is before you start taking any supplemental amount. 10K IU per day is probably too much to be taking for any extended period. That is the kind of dose given to someone found to be vitamin D deficient and only for a

short period of time. How much you take is dependent upon what your starting level is.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 02/11/2013 2:02 pm

No, too much...especially just to start off. Look into the daily recommended dose as well as the upper limit. These numbers should be available for you anywhere online. Nevertheless, I highly recommend D3

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 02/11/2013 2:11 pm

If you are D3 deficient and opt to go the prescription route, they put you on 50,000 IU shots...

Currently, anyone on the FDA board will tell you that 800 IU is the maximum, but frankly they are pretty outdated. Many people take thousands of IUs daily with no harm. If you bask in the midday sun for about a half-hour you will naturally make 10,000 - 30,000 IU.

A good general rule is 4000 IU per day supplemented. Thats what I take during winter time and when I go a few days trapped indoors and without sun (as I was last weekend while at the Book Expo of America in New York). Get your 25(OH)D levels tested before you start supplementation, take the 4k IU daily, and get them tested again after two months. Aim to get your levels up around 50-60 ng/mL, which is where most of the big benefits seem to kick in. If you dont respond well to 4000 IU, feel free to increase the dosage. Given that we can make around 10,000 IU in well under an hour, supplementation up to that level is well tolerated.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/vitamin-d-sun-exposure-supplementation-and-doses/#ixzz2KcSjFtFl