Notifications
Clear all

Main Differences Between Cetaphil And Cerave Moisturizers?

MemberMember
(@doctorobvious)

Posted : 02/01/2013 4:59 pm

It seems like everyone either likes Cetaphil or CeraVe, so no matter which side you're on, could you tell me the pros and cons of each one?

Basically what's happening to me is I was nearly completely clear while using the Dove beauty bar, Equate 2.5% BP, and some Clean&Clear moisturizer. The moisturizer really really sucked, I mean my face was just always painfully itchy and red and flaky and just really gross, so I finally bought the CeraVe moisturizer about a week ago and boy did it help! Immediately all the flakiness went away and my skin just looked and felt so smooth and soft! However, I also started breaking out around that time. I'm thinking it was either from the moisturizer or the ACV I used for about 3 days a few weeks prior to get rid of PIH.

I'm going to wait it out and see if it was the ACV or the CeraVe and if it turns out to be CeraVe, do you guys think I'd be better off switching to Cetaphil? Or will I just see the same thing happening on Cetaphil? Everyone's so divided it's hard to tell haha

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 02/01/2013 9:15 pm

Do not use Cetaphil OR Cerave they break people out with massive whiteheads. Use Dan's or find sensitive skin Eucerin moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 02/02/2013 12:24 am

Cerave and cetaphil don't break everyone out. I personally like them a lot (either one) and they don't break me out.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 02/02/2013 11:33 am

I really like ceraVe personally, it does not break me out and I need the sunscreen. Cetaphil on the other hand was super greasy for me.

MemberMember
(@birdboy)

Posted : 02/09/2013 5:22 pm

For what it's worth, I found a favorite daytime moisturizer/sunscreen: Elta MD UV Clear SPF 46. I get it on Amazon. It's made especially for acne prone skin and it rocks. I add 5-6 drops of Dan's jojoba oil to it in the morning because I'm super dry. During the summer, I probably won't have to do that.

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 02/16/2013 4:20 pm

I use cetaphil and it doesnt break me out. I ran out a couple of weeks ago and i had to use a comedogenic moisturizer because i was like the mayor of flake city and im breaking out from that now, i think if something breaks you out it does take a week or two to show up.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/04/2013 9:50 pm

I love my Cetaphil moisturizer. I do agree that it is a bit greasy looking on the face, but I do use it only at night so I don't care. It hasn't broke me out at all. I use a lighter gel based moisturizer in the morning.

Can't comment on cerave as I haven't seen that being sold here in the Philippines. But a lot of people on the boards have been saying really good things about it.

MemberMember
(@ambercarrart)

Posted : 06/20/2013 11:27 am

Cetaphil didn't agree with me at all, but Cerave completely saved my skin. I use Cerave foaming facial cleanser and Cerave moisturizing lotion (big bottle, with a pump).

I'll never use anything else, ever.

Also, I tried ACV, and it totally broke me out. I won't put it near my face anymore. I thought for a moment that it was the Cerave as well, but it was the ACV. I finally sucked it up and stuck to the regimen and I'm totally clear now, and I have STUBBORN adult acne.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 06/20/2013 6:41 pm

With acne prone skin, it is best to use a gel versus a cream. Most creams contain many ingredients that are not good for acne-prone skin. The moisturizing gel I use contains three ingredients, aloe vera, polyglyceryl methacrylate, and butylene glycol. Cetaphil and Ceravue contain no less than 20 ingredients. While creams will provide better moisture for parched skin due to benzoyl peroxide, if all you need is light moisturization, opt for a gel.