Notifications
Clear all

What Could I Be Doing Wrong.

MemberMember
(@paleoistheanswer)

Posted : 02/01/2013 2:43 pm

I have been

Paleo for a year now, and on the gut diet since september. I have been taking probiotics (50 billion) for a month and a half now, took prebiotics before that while also taking 10 bil probiotics. I have eliminated eggs because I may be allergic to them, and I eat no nuts. I also take a 365 brand multivitamin daily so I doubt I am severely malnourished. I have no known health problems and I do light weight lifting, which has been proven to reduce long term inflammation so exercise is being taken care of. I do not eat cheese, nor do I eat dark chocolate, nor any dairy product. I'm a pretty relaxed person and I get ample sleep. Advice?

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 02/01/2013 3:32 pm

I have been

Paleo for a year now, and on the gut diet since september. I have been taking probiotics (50 billion) for a month and a half now, took prebiotics before that while also taking 10 bil probiotics. I have eliminated eggs because I may be allergic to them, and I eat no nuts. I also take a 365 brand multivitamin daily so I doubt I am severely malnourished. I have no known health problems and I do light weight lifting, which has been proven to reduce long term inflammation so exercise is being taken care of. I do not eat cheese, nor do I eat dark chocolate, nor any dairy product. I'm a pretty relaxed person and I get ample sleep. Advice?

I wonder what your vitamin levels are though. I've been eating paleo (except I was using soy for awhile which was BAD for my skin) and my vitamin levels are really bad now (despite taking a max dose multivitamin). Such large amounts of probiotics could cause a die off effect though so that is something to consider. I was taking a lower amount of probiotics for a month and my skin cleared up completely and even felt less oily, but i upped it to 50 billion a day, 25 bill in the morning and 25 bill at night and my skin got progressively worse. There isn't a formula for this stuff so maybe go back to the lower amount.

MemberMember
(@paleoistheanswer)

Posted : 02/01/2013 3:43 pm

I wonder what your vitamin levels are though. I've been eating paleo (except I was using soy for awhile which was BAD for my skin) and my vitamin levels are really bad now (despite taking a max dose multivitamin). Such large amounts of probiotics could cause a die off effect though so that is something to consider. I was taking a lower amount of probiotics for a month and my skin cleared up completely and even felt less oily, but i upped it to 50 billion a day, 25 bill in the morning and 25 bill at night and my skin got progressively worse. There isn't a formula for this stuff so maybe go back to the lower amount.

I'm going to get my levels checked soon, although it seems unnatural to still be deficient eating plenty of vegetables and with a vitamin, I think what gave you that problem may have been the soy, but its not unlikely that I'm wrong and have the same problem. I've heard that its supposed to get worse initially but sometimes I do wonder about the effects of probiotics. My plan is to finish the 50 bil bottle I have and be done.what makes me wonder though is that they seem to keep me going to the toilet fairly regularly but hey, who knows if they're good or if they aren't

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 02/01/2013 3:52 pm

I'm going to get my levels checked soon, although it seems unnatural to still be deficient eating plenty of vegetables and with a vitamin, I think what gave you that problem may have been the soy, but its not unlikely that I'm wrong and have the same problem. I've heard that its supposed to get worse initially but sometimes I do wonder about the effects of probiotics. My plan is to finish the 50 bil bottle I have and be done.what makes me wonder though is that they seem to keep me going to the toilet fairly regularly but hey, who knows if they're good or if they aren't

You can't rely on vitamins for your nutrients, since doctors aren't really sure how much a person really absorbs from them. No nuts or dairy of any form I'm willing to bet your vitamin levels are low. And yes the soy did bother me, but before I started the soy my pores started getting clogged when I switched to the higher amount, then the soy escalated it all I believe.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/02/2013 10:56 am

What's your acne like? Has it changed with your diet?

What you could be doing wrong is eat or apply something you are intolerant to, something you can't digest, something that causes an excessive glycemic impact, etc.

What do,you drink? Do you have body building shakes or other processed faux foods? We have had someone here in the past hat swore she at paleo then after a while admitted to trips to Starbucks for frappecinos.

MemberMember
(@paleoistheanswer)

Posted : 02/04/2013 8:44 pm

What's your acne like? Has it changed with your diet?

What you could be doing wrong is eat or apply something you are intolerant to, something you can't digest, something that causes an excessive glycemic impact, etc.

What do,you drink? Do you have body building shakes or other processed faux foods? We have had someone here in the past hat swore she at paleo then after a while admitted to trips to Starbucks for frappecinos.

hahah no I really am strict with my paleo. I only drink water and plenty of it. I have recently taken to eating brazil and macadamias so we weill see what those do. I also felt like guacamole was causing me problems so i cut that out (it was from whole foods so the only ingredients were avocados peppers lime juice salt etc.

My daily diet looks like this

Wake up take 50 bil probiotic

Eat protein, probably chicken or pork with a banana, eat a little butter, eat some coconut oil, take some olive oil. possibly cook veggies too.

Lunch can of sardines, cook vegetables, eat a little coconut oil and possibly olive oil.

Dinner meat and vegetables

qutting the probiotic tomorrow i have been using gut drugs like probiotics and prebiotics since like september after WhiteFox's thread and it hasnt done shit for me

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 02/05/2013 6:59 am

Thanks for saying that it hasn't done shit for you. For a while, I felt like the only person from that Whitefox thread that was having zero success. Every time I asked what was wrong, he would just tell me I needed more probiotics for a longer period of time. I've eased up on the amount of probiotics I'm taking and eating after seeing it get worse and worse and worse over the course of the last 4 months.

It was my mistake, once again attempting to listen to a person who claimed that had the plan that would "work for everyone."

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/05/2013 8:53 am

So, did your acne change?

MemberMember
(@paleoistheanswer)

Posted : 02/05/2013 9:11 pm

I am now trying paleo, and also avoiding fructose. [Removed]

Statistically if you are of european descent this is a very like problem. cutting out all fruits plus onions and green beans. i'll keep you guys updated on what happens. My acne has been very exacerbated the past two weeks, and coincidentally I recently added fruit back to my diet after quitting it, and I eat a steady supply of onions. these contaion furcto-olligisaccharides or something like that which was also in THE PREBIOTICS I WAS TAKING HAHAHAHA. so we will see

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 02/06/2013 12:42 am

I am feeling fructose is the last answer for me as well....didn't know it was in some probiotics...

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 02/07/2013 7:11 am

So, did your acne change?

Nope. It pretty much only got worse the entire time and then a slight bit better when I began doing chemical peels and EFT to help me with the stress. Still cystic, still very painful, no change since lowering probiotic dose. I started this in October and literally no improvement whatsoever in my skin.

Probably one of the biggest and most depressing disappointments I've experienced in a while. Because I really, really believed Whitefox about this.

The only thing that is positive that came out of it at all is that my immunity seems to be a teeny bit better. I've come down with a few bugs since doing all the probiotics and I've gotten well in a day or two. When it usually takes me 2-3 weeks. I guess that's good, but I would trade it away in a second to have clear skin and hormones that are not violently messed up.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/10/2013 11:38 am

Thanks for saying that it hasn't done shit for you. For a while, I felt like the only person from that Whitefox thread that was having zero success. Every time I asked what was wrong, he would just tell me I needed more probiotics for a longer period of time. I've eased up on the amount of probiotics I'm taking and eating after seeing it get worse and worse and worse over the course of the last 4 months.

It was my mistake, once again attempting to listen to a person who claimed that had the plan that would "work for everyone."

I agree with you. Too often someone or a group of people peddle one thing or lifestyles as 'the way' but you know what, our bodies are all different. Sometimes, acne is really not our fault. Should we eat better? Absolutely! Should we find a skin regimen that works for us whether natural OR synthetic? Sure! Should we beat ourselves up because we have acne? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Some people, despite all the change will continue to have acne for a long time. Therefore, change what we can and accept the things we can't.