Notifications
Clear all

Low Glycemic Diet Has Worked

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 02/01/2013 1:06 am

i have been on a low glycemic diet for only 3 weeks. i noticed many improvements. one is that i need less sleep. the second is that my mood is way more stable. i also feel a lot more healthy. my feces also do not smell as bad and look more like the poop of an animal that eats seeds. also my acne has slowly decreased and is now 90% clear. first here are the things i removed out of my old diet:

-fruit juice (high sugar)

-white bread ( i eat whole grain bread)

-wheat bread

-white pasta

-tortilla chips (i eat black bean chips)

-anything proccessed

-sugar (i use honey as a substitue)

-white rice ( i eat brown rice)

-candy

-baked goods

-bagels

-white potatoes ( i eat sweet potatoes and yams)

-pretzels, cheezits, crackers

-yogurt (even almond yogurt with sugar)

-almond milk with high sugar (i drink the one with low sugar now)

-white tortilla

the changes were hard at first. first of all you do not get any more sugar highs. but the cravings go away eventually. i satisfied mine by eating bananas. alright at first it will be really hard to find stuff to eat

but if you want to do this you need to look up paleo diets

this diet is like a paleo diet, i pretty much found info on:

this site: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/do-milk-and-sugar-cause-a_b_822163.html

-anything that alternatevista recomended as far as diet goes

-and other posts from people who said that they eat low glycemic diets

-and an australian magazine on acne and the diet for it

here is what i eat now:

breakfast: eggs or oatmeal and fruit

snack: fruit and nut bar, fruit bar, brazil nuts, almonds, apple slices, black bean chips (the fruit bar has 370 calories in it and keeps me full)

lunch: lamb chops/chicken/turkey meat/ veggies/whole grain bun/brown rice/whole grain pasta

dinner: same as lunch

i have continued taking my 30mg of zinc and have reached 3 months on vitamin D. everything else i stopped. the fish oil gave my giant cysts. 2 weeks after stopping it is all gone

i also noticed that i was less hungry. ok i will spare you all the details so you can actually try this: basically give a low glycemic/ paleo diet a shot. i got my inspiration from the island with no acne called kitava. look it up. look up their diet and copy. this is the easiest thing i have done in my life and the results are astounding. i think most people's acne can be cleared through diet changes. i don't know why this diet works. i know that we get insulin resistant when we go thorugh puberty and then it goes away after puberty. i am 18 and a male. i have had acne for seven years. my chest and back acne has also cleared up. i need less sleep. bottom line try the diet. and give it a long time to work. it works little my little. you never seen results overnight. and i kind of noticed that when i did something that triggered acne it sorta shows up 5 days later. however, because i have been following the diet so well, even though i cheated 5 days ago and had a white tortilla i don't have acne today. my right cheek is completely clear and has been for 2 weeks. my forehead is clear. my mouth area is clear for the first time in 6 months and it feels so damn good. all my acne is not like it was before. it doesn't get huge or inflamed because their is no sebum or puss to fill it up. i think its because insulin causes excess sebum. i will update this to make sure it keeps working but i beleive it will as i have never had my skin be so good. it feels like i'm 10 again when my skin was perfect. i only have 3 small pimples on my left cheek/ skin next to eye. i have one small on on my right chin/near ear area. my blackheads on my nose has cleared up. my skin just looks better. its amazing people. that kitavan island stuff is no lie.

try the low glycemic diet, you have nothing to loose and it will probably work. don't forget about the kitavans.

MemberMember
(@redruby)

Posted : 02/01/2013 1:29 am

Nice to hear your clearing up.

I myself am dealing with acne with holistic approaches as well.

I pretty much have the same list of things that you have stopped eating. Except the wheat bread I didn't even think that was bad. Im definitely going to cut that out for sure.

Im only on Day 8 so im still pretty much waiting until the end of the month to see any results!!

I also only eat breakfast, lunch, and a snack (bananas, oranges, or apples)

Hopeful that this diet will work for me too!! :D Keep updating please.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 02/01/2013 9:15 pm

Nice to hear your clearing up.

I myself am dealing with acne with holistic approaches as well.

I pretty much have the same list of things that you have stopped eating. Except the wheat bread I didn't even think that was bad. Im definitely going to cut that out for sure.

Im only on Day 8 so im still pretty much waiting until the end of the month to see any results!!

I also only eat breakfast, lunch, and a snack (bananas, oranges, or apples)

Hopeful that this diet will work for me too!! biggrin.png Keep updating please.

thank god someone is trying this. if at least one other person gets rid of their acne i will feel justified in posting this. definately get rid of the wheat bread. just substitute it with whole grains. yes and the results are very slow. i still have acne on my right upper cheek but everywhere else is clear. it went away slowly but i could tell it was getting better based on the less redness, no more inflammation and the general feeling of not having oily skin. i used to have oily skin for like 6 years since my acne began. now i wake up in the morning and i see most of my skin clear. it really is beautiful and feels so damn good.

MemberMember
(@redruby)

Posted : 02/02/2013 12:52 am

Yes, for sure im going to follow this through. I get less tempted for soda and treats. I just tell myself "it will all be worth it" lol umm? Definately will go back to whole grains. Well i can definately say i havnt gotten a new breakout *fingers crossed* and i know it will take time, especially cause i spent so much years eating excessive junk food. :) & im glad its going so well for you. This morning i woke up and my skin looked white. Its a really good thing because i used to wake up with blotchy skin. But, i have more to go!! Im so hoping this works. Very optimistic :D

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 02/02/2013 1:34 pm

I don't understand why you eliminated all those foods. If it was for the purpose of lowering the glycemic load, why not just eat them in addition to something?. I eat high-sugar fruit everyday which is naturally high-GI, but I always have them with a spoon of peanut butter, thus lowering the glycemic impact. If your goal is low-gi, it's the entire meal to account for, not individual foods. I mean realistically, who eats bread on it's own without peanut butter/cheese/butter/bacon or something?. Likewise with potatoes and white rice, which normally accompanies some form of protein and/or fat.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 02/02/2013 5:57 pm

ummm. then call it a paleo diet if you want. i eliminated those foods because people on the island of kitava don't eat them and none of them have acne. i think it makes sense that eating those foods have some sort of connection to acne and insulin resistance. besides i already did the research proving to myself that insulin resistance is what causes acne. what you said is true about lowering the glycemic index. i guess i will call it a paleo diet. the reason i got rid of those of foods though is because just like what you said, if you eat too many of them, it will increase the glycemic index. it is extremely easy to eat white bread or go off on cheez-its and most people do that. point is this works, and there is medical proof behind it. but it takes a long time to clear acne. probably like 3 months. so far the results have been amazing and i'm just sharing what worked for me. there is no reason to criticize my method of controlling acne. if anything you should be thanking me for sharing what has worked. i could have just said "screw all those people" and never even visited this website again like so many people do after they clear their acne. instead i want to help a few people.

MemberMember
(@redruby)

Posted : 02/02/2013 8:49 pm

ummm. then call it a paleo diet if you want. i eliminated those foods because people on the island of kitava don't eat them and none of them have acne. i think it makes sense that eating those foods have some sort of connection to acne and insulin resistance. besides i already did the research proving to myself that insulin resistance is what causes acne. what you said is true about lowering the glycemic index. i guess i will call it a paleo diet. the reason i got rid of those of foods though is because just like what you said, if you eat too many of them, it will increase the glycemic index. it is extremely easy to eat white bread or go off on cheez-its and most people do that. point is this works, and there is medical proof behind it. but it takes a long time to clear acne. probably like 3 months. so far the results have been amazing and i'm just sharing what worked for me. there is no reason to criticize my method of controlling acne. if anything you should be thanking me for sharing what has worked. i could have just said "screw all those people" and never even visited this website again like so many people do after they clear their acne. instead i want to help a few people.

Very true, I actually found your post very helpful. Helps me feel supported somehow. Like I'm not alone. Thanks for sharing :D

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 02/02/2013 11:44 pm

This won't help if you have food intolerance though

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 02/10/2013 12:49 pm

well if you never try it then yes it will not work grinwink.gif

MemberMember
(@steino)

Posted : 01/07/2014 7:53 pm

Ichance,

I know you posted this information almost a year ago but would like to thank you for taking the time to share what has worked for you during your struggle with acne. Your experience with your diet thus far further supports the idea that what you eat does have an impact on acne. I too have recently started to believe in the food-acne relationship and have been on a low glycemic diet for about a week now. I will try to remember to return back with my results.

abbie2781 liked
MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 01/08/2014 9:26 pm

A diet change will clear some people up 100%

Some 25-50%

and others none at all

I'm glad you found something that worked for you, while I don't think my acne is caused entirely by food, when I am consuming a highly nutritious whole foods intake I am better of overall in every aspect including acne. I will be going back to it soon to see what it does to my seborrhoeic dermatitis that I was diagnosed with yesterday. So now I am battling two skin problems, anyone else have both conditions?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/09/2014 9:16 am

Congratulations. Did you share on the nutrition board and add to the success thread?

MemberMember
(@abbie2781)

Posted : 01/09/2014 11:13 pm

Ichance and Steino,

I really appreciate both of your posts, and would love to hear how you continue to with changes in your diet. I have seen a strong connection between the same types of foods (especially refined sugar) and my acne. I have started this week to take white bread, soda, simple sugars, and processed food out of my diet. While at the same time, trying to eat more vegetables and fruit. It feels like a tall order, but a worthwhile effort. It really helps to have other people's stories to hear from. Please keep posting on how you are doing.

MemberMember
(@steino)

Posted : 03/03/2014 7:15 pm

So it has been three months since I began my low glycemic diet. I feel like it has substantially improved my acne. I still occasionally get pimples, but they are much less common than before I started eating only low glycemic foods. Actually, at this point I almost feel that the only pimples I get are preexisting closed comedones that get irritated and turn into pimples, (its at the point where I know where each closed comedone is on my face). Most mornings I wake up and am pleasantly surprised to see no new pimples! I think that this diet will definitely reduces others acne as well, but I wouldn't guarantee it will cure it. Not in my experience after 3 months anyways. But for what its worth, this diet has worked well enough that I will continue with it, besides its probably better overall for the rest of my body.

If you don't know if a food is low glycemic, look it up on the internet before you eat it. Some foods are counterintuitive to what you think their glycemic score is. I eat the foods that are the lowest on the glycemic scale, but will sometimes stray into foods with a glycemic level of 60 or so.

For those interested,

I eat a pretty simple diet which includes the following: Eggs, Whole oats oatmeal(quaker), rye crisp(replaces chips), salsa, beans(mostly bagged lentils that I boil then add onions to, this is my main staple food), occasionally canned beans, almond milk(almond breeze the 30 cal/serv kind vanilla or original), tuna from a can, shredded wheat(the boring kind), mixed nuts, frozen bagged vegetables(I always get the mixed kind), fresh vegetables, fresh fruits especially citrus fruits(grapefruits and oranges), salads

For condiments I will still eat ketchup, mustard, tobacco, apple cider vinegar+olive oil mixture for salad dressing, hummus

In addition I still drink beer and wine as I did before I began the diet and it doesn't seem to lead to breakouts for me.

Acne is a terrible struggle for those who have it, you have my sympathy and know that you are not alone. I hope sharing what I have learned will help somebody out there with their fight against those blasted pimples!