Notifications
Clear all

Coffee Alternarives?

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 01/31/2013 2:25 am

For the past couple weeks I have been drinking coffee again [one small cup in the morning (half a tsp and about 40ml/50ml full fat milk)], I was doing well not drinking it too however I'm not really noticing toooo much of a difference in my skin worsening or whatever, maybe just sliiightly more red but not lots. I keep telling myself that I will stop drinking it but it never happens since its like a morning comforter, I used to love tea but now I just hate the taste of tea...it seems to be the taste of coffee that keeps me hooked.

So I was just wondering if theres any alternatives to coffee? Not so much the caffeine affect but for the taste I guess? Is decaf actually worth my trouble?

MemberMember
(@uncle-buck)

Posted : 01/31/2013 3:34 am

Nothing wrong with coffee I found. Still clear, still drinking coffee.

To answer the question without being be a dick, some good alternatives are lemon or orange squeezed into a hot cup of water. Apple Cider Vinegar is good too, but only a tiny bit or you'll destroy your throat. Pretty much anything can be dunked into hot water to give it flavour, try a herb like mint for a good headbuzz.

If it has to taste like coffee, then coffee is the only answer. Don't bother with decaf, it's a waste of time and is treated very poorly in the manufacturing process. Life's too short for decaf.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/31/2013 8:59 am

There are many coffee alternatives in the drink recipe thread that you'll find in the pinned food and recipe thread. Plain cocoa made with water is my favorite, but it might be a gradual adjustment. Many people expect the sweet creamy flavor of hot chocolate so don't like the bitter plain cocoa at first. I added cream and stevia at first but then began to prefer it 'black.'

What kind of teas have you tried?

Decaf still has caffeine. It's just reduced. But still pretty high.

MemberMember
(@tanjo143)

Posted : 02/01/2013 7:20 pm

coffee doesn't really break me out. fruits and vegetables do. fructose is a huge culprit for me. i quit coffee months ago thinking i would clear my acne but my skin didn't change. now i drink it again and it still hasn't changed.

you might want to look into fructose intolerance just to see if you have it.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 02/01/2013 10:04 pm

For the past couple weeks I have been drinking coffee again [one small cup in the morning (half a tsp and about 40ml/50ml full fat milk)], I was doing well not drinking it too however I'm not really noticing toooo much of a difference in my skin worsening or whatever, maybe just sliiightly more red but not lots. I keep telling myself that I will stop drinking it but it never happens since its like a morning comforter, I used to love tea but now I just hate the taste of tea...it seems to be the taste of coffee that keeps me hooked.

So I was just wondering if theres any alternatives to coffee? Not so much the caffeine affect but for the taste I guess? Is decaf actually worth my trouble?

Chicory root coffee. Supposed to be really good for you, I haven't tried it yet though, but do some research on it.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 02/01/2013 11:15 pm

A product calle "teechino"

MemberMember
(@sarabara123)

Posted : 02/02/2013 12:13 am

I find Dandelion Root tea, with almond milk is a great alternative to coffee! Pukka also had a great tea blend called "purifier". Drink it as a substitute every morning & night and have the added benefit of keeping skin clear.

MemberMember
(@morton125)

Posted : 02/20/2013 8:00 am

Green tea is a good alternative of the coffee.

You can take green tea in your breakfast.

It is not only good for the skin health but also very effective to maintain the body weight.

It is also very good to control the cholesterol level.

MemberMember
(@jen0489x)

Posted : 02/20/2013 9:17 am

I've given up coffee so many times in my pursuit to clear skin. However, for me, I find that drinking a cold-pressed coffee works wonders. Cold-pressed coffee isn't something available at Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks, but is so easy to make yourself. It's less acidic, better for your teeth, and contains more antioxidants than ordinary coffee. It is so smooth. I drink it black and find it very flavorful and delicious. Ordinary coffee black is more difficult for me to consume because of the high acidity.

Cold Brew Coffee

1 1/3 cup of fresh finely ground coffee (Even cheap coffee tastes good using this method, but I recommend buying organic coffee beans, since coffee is a highly sprayed crop. I personally lean toward a medium roast bean)

4 cups of filtered water

1. Combine ground coffee and water in a mason jar or French press. Stir to combine well. Cover and leave for at least 8 hours, and up to 24 hours at room temperature.

2. Put a coffee filter in a fine sieve over a small mixing bowl or 4 cup measuring cup. Slowly pour coffee through the filter. This is your coffee concentrate.

3. Keep refrigerated. To serve, dilute to preference. A one-to-two ratio is common (one-third coffee concentrate, two-thirds water). For a stronger cup of coffee, use a one-to-one ratio. I like to add a little almond milk. My husband likes to add a tablespoon or two of organic cream and just a little sweetener.

It will keep at least one week.

Yield: 4 cups of concentrate (makes at least 8 cups of coffee).

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2012/05/how-to-cold-brew-coffee.html

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/21/2013 8:54 am

I've given up coffee so many times in my pursuit to clear skin. However, for me, I find that drinking a cold-pressed coffee works wonders. Cold-pressed coffee isn't something available at Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks, but is so easy to make yourself. It's less acidic, better for your teeth, and contains more antioxidants than ordinary coffee. It is so smooth. I drink it black and find it very flavorful and delicious. Ordinary coffee black is more difficult for me to consume because of the high acidity.

Cold Brew Coffee

1 1/3 cup of fresh finely ground coffee (Even cheap coffee tastes good using this method, but I recommend buying organic coffee beans, since coffee is a highly sprayed crop. I personally lean toward a medium roast bean)

4 cups of filtered water

1. Combine ground coffee and water in a mason jar or French press. Stir to combine well. Cover and leave for at least 8 hours, and up to 24 hours at room temperature.

2. Put a coffee filter in a fine sieve over a small mixing bowl or 4 cup measuring cup. Slowly pour coffee through the filter. This is your coffee concentrate.

3. Keep refrigerated. To serve, dilute to preference. A one-to-two ratio is common (one-third coffee concentrate, two-thirds water). For a stronger cup of coffee, use a one-to-one ratio. I like to add a little almond milk. My husband likes to add a tablespoon or two of organic cream and just a little sweetener.

It will keep at least one week.

Yield: 4 cups of concentrate (makes at least 8 cups of coffee).

I'm going to try that. Thanks. I've never been a fan of coffee except as a flavoring. And an aroma because it does smell far better than it tastes. But everywhere you o people want o give you coffee, meetings, conferences, whatever. And fake cream. And it took a lot of cream to make it palatable. So I've been trying to adapt by having a weak cup daily and drinking it black.,

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 02/21/2013 8:59 pm

Coffee breaks me out really terribly. :( The last time I had a cup, I immediately developed a searing painful cyst before the cup was even finished. I had to spent the rest of the day icing my face, it was sooo bad. I haven't had coffee since. What I've been doing instead is mixing a bit of honey in with a spoonful of blackstrap molasses in a mug of hot water. It ends up looking just like coffee. Doesn't taste the same, but the texture and thickness is similar. Plus the molasses has a bunch of iron and calcium and other things that are really important for women.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 02/22/2013 8:38 am

Coffee breaks me out really terribly. sad.png The last time I had a cup, I immediately developed a searing painful cyst before the cup was even finished. I had to spent the rest of the day icing my face, it was sooo bad. I haven't had coffee since. What I've been doing instead is mixing a bit of honey in with a spoonful of blackstrap molasses in a mug of hot water. It ends up looking just like coffee. Doesn't taste the same, but the texture and thickness is similar. Plus the molasses has a bunch of iron and calcium and other things that are really important for women.

Im sorry you had such a reaction to the coffee! Was it black or did you have some milk in along with it? Ive never heard of molasses before, can I purchase this at maybe Holland & Barrett or something...it sounds intriguing.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/22/2013 8:42 am

Coffee breaks me out really terribly. sad.png The last time I had a cup, I immediately developed a searing painful cyst before the cup was even finished. I had to spent the rest of the day icing my face, it was sooo bad. I haven't had coffee since. What I've been doing instead is mixing a bit of honey in with a spoonful of blackstrap molasses in a mug of hot water. It ends up looking just like coffee. Doesn't taste the same, but the texture and thickness is similar. Plus the molasses has a bunch of iron and calcium and other things that are really important for women.

Im sorry you had such a reaction to the coffee! Was it black or did you have some milk in along with it? Ive never heard of molasses before, can I purchase this at maybe Holland & Barrett or something...it sounds intriguing.

Are you in the UK? I'm pretty sure molasses is common in Europe. It's what the Dutch pour on their pancakes since you don't have maple syrup there.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 02/22/2013 11:30 am

It was just black coffee. It seems that I react really negatively to caffeine but it's difficult to know because on good days, when my stress levels are low and my hormones aren't flaring I can handle a cup or two without many problems. Maybe a little stomach ache but no breakout. But on bad days, when for whatever reason my body can't handle it, the reaction is so scary that it makes me not want to bother trying to tolerate it.

It's been a stressful few years. My adrenals are probably shot. Hopefully I can heal and rest them a bit and then tolerate coffee again.

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 02/22/2013 4:29 pm

I think the caffeine speeds up your metabolism so everything is going faster - hormones, oil production, it makes sense. I'm going to try and give up my morning coffee and see if i have any improvements because when I think about it my acne issues started in 2011 which was when i started drinking coffee regularly. I'm craving coffee just thinking about it, damn it :@

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/22/2013 5:13 pm

So, I just tried the cold brewed coffee method using the french press I've had for years without ever once using it. I wouldn't say it tasted vastly superior. But it certainly is convenient. So the coffee doesn't start to taste musty, extra bitter or anything when kept for up to a week? Because teas usually do. Black tea gets awful fast. And I;ve discovered on the rare occasions that I didn't finish my mint ice tea in 2 days that it started getting a hint of that old tea taste.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 02/23/2013 10:14 am

Are you in the UK? I'm pretty sure molasses is common in Europe. It's what the Dutch pour on their pancakes since you don't have maple syrup there.

Yea based in Scotland :) I will check the supermarket when I go next but I have actually never heard of it before lol

I think the caffeine speeds up your metabolism so everything is going faster - hormones, oil production, it makes sense. I'm going to try and give up my morning coffee and see if i have any improvements because when I think about it my acne issues started in 2011 which was when i started drinking coffee regularly. I'm craving coffee just thinking about it, damn it :@

Im sure it does speed up your metabolism but a minor amount, say like 2% or something or maybe 0.2% Im not really sure but when you put it like that then yea it makes sense totally. Funnily enough when my skin started getting worse last year I also noticed I had just STARTED drinking coffee daily WITH milk. But its too damn good to stop, I actually love coffee. Mocha's are actually my favourite (chocolate and coffee = <3) but I only have them at weekends, like a treat. Maybe just do an experiment and see if it does help? Or drink it every second or third day? That's what I do.

MemberMember
(@jen0489x)

Posted : 02/26/2013 9:39 pm

So, I just tried the cold brewed coffee method using the french press I've had for years without ever once using it. I wouldn't say it tasted vastly superior. But it certainly is convenient. So the coffee doesn't start to taste musty, extra bitter or anything when kept for up to a week? Because teas usually do. Black tea gets awful fast. And I;ve discovered on the rare occasions that I didn't finish my mint ice tea in 2 days that it started getting a hint of that old tea taste.

I Meant to make the above post as a reply to you in hopes you'll see and answer my question.

Yes, it really keeps for one week as long as you keep it refrigerated, although it can get a bit gritty. I generally only keep mine for four days though. It doesn't taste less acidic to you? The acid is what really bothers me in my coffee, thus the cold brewed method tastes far better to me. What was your experience regarding preservation of the taste?