Notifications
Clear all

Foundation Recs?

MemberMember
(@clarice12345)

Posted : 01/30/2013 6:51 pm

Alright, so I have combination skin and have been using Make Up Forever for years now. I love how much coverage it gives (great for my acne-prone skin) but it gets a bit oily at times.

What are your recs for a high coverage foundation that isn't super oily / isnt prone to breakouts?

MemberMember
(@topchef1)

Posted : 02/04/2013 4:55 pm

I would love to hear people's advice too. Last week, I went to buy some MAC Studio Fix powder foundation and bronzer because they were given a high rating from the "Cosmetic Cop" Paula Begoun. After I wore it a couple times I got on these and other boards and learned that people have cursed MAC and also their studio fix line for clogging pores and creating problem skin.

Before that, I used bare minerals for two years before realizing I break out from it (could have to do with my nickel and cobalt allergy).

I am now at a loss and think everything is going to clog my pores. Any advice?

MemberMember
(@naturalog)

Posted : 02/05/2013 5:24 pm

Have you tried the Make Up For Ever's Mat Velvet+? its for more oily skin and has a matte finish. I currently use MUFE's HD full coverage but it definitely has a more dewy finish than a matte one. I heard great things about the Velvet+ (same full coverage, matte finish), but I also heard that it may make dry patches stand out more. You can also try putting a setting powder/spray after your foundation to absorb the extra oil. I love MUFE's HD microfinish powder and Urban Decay's deslick setting spray. I use the spray throughout the day whenever i need to soak up oil without having to cake on more powders.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/09/2013 1:24 pm

Hey. Lancome's Teint Miracle- I just posted a new topic on it, it really is fab. I have been using it for years, and on clients too when i was a makeup artist. It's brilliant for acne.

*Moderator edit - URL removed - read the board rules*

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 02/16/2013 4:52 pm

vichy dermablend, doesnt break me out (its listed as non comedogenic) and its the highest coverage foundation ive ever used, it has better coverage than most concealers and because of this you hardily need to use any (put it this way one tube lasted me 6 months) so it doesnt go cakey and you dont feel it on your skin at all. I'd say it has a matte-natural finish but my skin gets so insanely oily sometimes and this always stays on really well all day.

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 02/17/2013 8:35 pm

I like Revlon Colorstay WHIPPED foundation, must be the Whipped one, not the liquid one.

It is a medium to full coverage foundation, a little bit of it covers everything for me, it has a very natural looking finish too.

It hasn't made my skin break out so far, though I use it VERY rarely, like maybe less than once a week, it's something that I use before going on a date or whenever I have to look presentable.

I actually tried MUF foundation before, and compared to Colorstay, it seems that MUF makes my skin looks shiny/oily, and with very sheer coverage, and it has a very weird scent too. :/

Colorstay on the other hand gives me enough coverage with just a little amount of product and doesn't make me shiny/oily at all, and is fragrance free.

MemberMember
(@brightling)

Posted : 02/17/2013 11:02 pm

I use illuminare's liquid mineral foundation. [Removed]

It's like $30 a tube but it lasts forever and lol it's basically like using a concealer for your whole face! For the coverage it gives (a ton) it looks crazy natural---like even when it doesn't match your own skin tone! I have used it for years because it covers everything and has a powder finish (also waterproof) and I can't find anything like it b/c I have oily skin but i can't wear powder without breaking out (sucks so bad). I usually order it off their website because I like it fresh, though you can usually find it local (they have a search option on their site for it). I have ethnic skin so i have to buy two shades but i like to mix the "Concealing semi-matte finish" with the "Ultimate all day matte finish." One tube can last you an entire year, though I don't like to use it that long cause I'm paranoid about stuff like that. They sell a sample pack for $10 and it has all their foundations in all their finishes but you know what? Maybe stay away because sometimes it sickens me that I pay so much for makeup and I hate how beholden I am to it. Whenever I use anything else it never gives me as much coverage and it never lasts as long.

On another note do any of you use Estee Lauder Double Wear? I remember it used to be a decent foundation but what the hell happened? I think they must've changed the formula or something. Might as well buy Revlon Coverstay for $9 what a rip off.

MemberMember
(@terracotta479)

Posted : 02/19/2013 2:18 am

I use MUFE Mat Velvet and its amaaaazing at covering hyper pigmentation and acne. I don't find that it gets oily, but that's just me. Have you tried using a lighter coverage foundation and then using a cream foundation stick (I use Bobbi Brown) on the parts of your face that need it? I find it makes my skin look super flawless and I doesn't have that heavy look. Just make sure to powder well. Oh, also, dermablend might be a good choice. I've never tried it but I've heard good things about it not being oily.

Best of luck.

MemberMember
(@linhd)

Posted : 02/21/2013 10:43 pm

I use both the MUFE HD foundation and MUFE Mat Velvet foundations. Love them both in the coverage department too.

However, they aren't my favorite. My favorite everyday foundation that gets the job done even better is Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation for Oily/combo skin. You should definitely check it out. It's full coverage, will keep you matte, won't irritate your skin, and won't break the bank.

MemberMember
(@kaslitsa)

Posted : 02/27/2013 10:48 am

I too love make up forever, smashbox and Mac, BUT the ruin my skin big time-

Currently i use neutrogena soothing stick concealer, and as for foundation i mix two colors (drugstore) neutrogena healthy skin enhancer (pump) and almay clear complexion (also in pump)- amazing combo. You may need to mix and match to try perfect shade, but totally works just as well as pricey foundations.

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 03/01/2013 2:58 pm

Revlon ColorStay for oil to combo skin has always worked when I needed lots of coverage and has never broken me out.

However, a high end foundation I would also recommend is Estee Lauder Double Wear.