Notifications
Clear all

Ortho Tri Cyclen Help!

MemberMember
(@shannanigunz)

Posted : 01/30/2013 12:05 am

I am going on my 5th month (less than 2 weeks away before I start my 5th pack) of Ortho Tri Cyclen, and my skin is still worse than when I started.

I am 25, and have never had acne before in my life, other than a mild breakout around 6 months ago. That's when my doctor switched my birth control. I was having minor problems with Nekon, I had been on it for years, and towards the end of my usage of that pill, I was starting to have some problems. Maybe my body was changing, maybe it was a fluke occurance... I will never know if the birth control caused my skin to get worse, or if this was going to happen regardless. Either way, because of my age and the location of acne on my face (chin and jaw area), we can conclude it is hormonal.

I had a wicked bad initial breakout around the second month of Ortho Tri, and now, three months later, I still have losts of little tiny bumps all over my jaw and chin, some are inflamed and larger than others. During the second month I had what I can only describe as cystic acne all along my lower cheeks and jawline. Very big, red, painful, and left hyperpigmentation. I will occaisionally break out on top of the areas that are already scarred/hyperpigmented. This makes it so they can't fade.

Granted, it has been very sloooowly improving, but I have never had these tiny bumps before. They are covering my jawline and chin. I don't notice them going away, they just stay put and invite their friends.

So now for the questions...

If you were/are on Ortho Tri Cyclen, how long did it take before your face cleared?

Was it a slow progression?

I am going to the dermatologist and am afraid to use any prescriptions he may give me in fear of another "purging" process, or "initial breakout"....I can't do that again.

If I do use prescriptions, it will be topical medicine only,. I do not want to take any more pills.

Should I just wait for the birth control to work on it's own?

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/30/2013 4:11 am

Hey hon. I'm sorry for what you're going through. I feel for ya. I haven't been on otc but i want to share what my endocrinologist said for what it's worth..he said you should start seeing the effects of birth control in a pack or two. Personally i think the ib is overrated. What scientific explanation is there for breaking out from a pill that is suppressing the hormones that make you break out? It could be that otc is just too androgenic for you. That being said there are people who seem to have broken out horribly for months and months and then cleared. There is one review on here for otc where she said it was 4-5 months of bad break outs before clearing on otc. You should check it out in the product reviews. So it may be worth sticking it out one more pack if you've gone this far. I personally would never bear months on end of 1000 times worse acne for the chance it might get better and all that scarring. If you do quit the pill maybe give it a month off and go get your hormones tested. That can be quite revealing.

MemberMember
(@shannanigunz)

Posted : 01/30/2013 10:19 am

@michi Thank you for your insight.

Do you know if it's possible to get hormone testing done while on birth control?

I almost feel like that could be more effective, because then they would see what my levels are with the birth control in my system, and they could determine whether that is the cause or not.

My body has been on birth control for so long, I don't like how I physically feel when I'm not on it. So I will be sticking to a pill...I'm just not sure if it's going to be THIS one. Hopefully it will be, though. I'd hate to switch again.

I COMPLETELY agree with you about the initial breakout bullSh*t. It makes absolutely no sense to me. I know doctors explain it as it "purges" your skin...but is that really necessary? Like you said, the hormones are supposed to be surpressed. It should just get better right away, not get worse before it gets better. Its 2013...come on, science. :P

I did read some reviews, trying to stay in my age bracket, and I did notice many people saying that it took longer than normal for their skin to clear. Up to 8 MONTHS!! I dont know if I can wait that long...but then again...I've come this far :/

I will probobly stick with it and just add a prescription topical to my regimine. If that doesn't work, then I will be changing BCPs completely.

Anyone have any birth control reccommendations? Hopefully I won't need it, but it's always good to have a plan, just in case.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/30/2013 10:28 am

That would be interesting for you to get your hormones tested while on the pill. I'd be really curious to know actually. Because they SHOULD be normal but it would be interesting if they are not. Ideally you'd like to compare it to when you're off the pill, but it can't hurt to get it done. I think adding topicals is a great idea to help get you through this! Retinoids are more likely to give an IB than something anti-bacterial like BP. Good luck!!!

MemberMember
(@cinnamon_stix)

Posted : 01/30/2013 4:27 pm

How did your skin do on necon? Im starting that one in a few days (:

MemberMember
(@shannanigunz)

Posted : 01/31/2013 12:49 pm

@michi I think I will get a hormone test, asap. They gave me epiduo today to add to my BCPs. HOPING AND PRAYING I don't get another IB!! It was so painful, the thought of another one makes me cringe.

My skin is getting better slowly...I'm almost hesitant to take it.

Anyone tried epiduo? I'll post in another board.

@cinnamon I was on Necon for two years, and I didn't have a problem with it. It didn't aggrivate my skin at all. However, I didn't have acne when I started taking Necon. I would check the androgen levels on that BCP, just in case. There are "acne-safe" birth controls with anti-androgen or low androgen levels, I don't believe Necon is one of them, but I don't remember having a problem with it.

MemberMember
(@jjelsie8)

Posted : 02/07/2013 2:24 am

Hi Shannangunz,

I am 22 and have had a similar thing happen with my skin. Never had much of an acne issue. I was on Yasmin for about 5 years though which defiantly controlled it all through highschool and much of college. Last year my doctor decided that being on yasmin wasnt good and wouldnt prescribe it to me anymore. They switched me to ortho and it was the worst thing ever! My breakouts started right away and they were little flesh colored bumps which i could squeeze and get stuff out of (gross I know) and also red cystic acne. By August (yes 8 months on ortho) I couldnt take it anymore and decided to go off of the pill all together since my skin had gotten so bad. That was the second worst decision ever.

My skin took a toll for the worst and continued to get worse as the months went by. By December my chin and neck were covered in cystic acne that I wouldnt even go out. I also developed HORRIBLE cystic bacne and acne on my chest which i have never had in my entire life.

I got a hormonal test and found out that my androgens are particularly high causing my glands to produce more oil. They also think theres a strong possibility that I have PCOS syndrome which is a huge acne causer. I am now back on yasmin and also the acne.org regimen so i am praying it works. My back and chest are still badly broken out so I am hoping this next month on the pill will start to clear it.

They say it can take up to 4 months for your body to settle on a pill... After four months I would go back to your gyno and try something else. If you have not had acne issues in the past then you shouldnt really be seeing any of these issues now simply because your on the pill. It probably just isnt the right pill for you. It is clearly making your hormones crazy. Someone suggested getting a hormone test. You can do that, BUT most doctors will say its pointless because you are on a birth control pill. There is no way to tell what your hormones actually are if you are on a oral contraceptive. I only know this because of PCOS testing and what not. It might show that your hormones are elevated since you are on the pill but its kind of obvious that they are anyways if you are breaking out like you are and you havent ever before. Most doctors wont have you even do a hormone blood test in this situation..

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 02/25/2013 12:40 pm

maybe you are breaking out because you switched and your body is getting used to the change of hormones which is what is causing these small breakouts. But i think if you don't clear after the 3rd month mark, or see some improvement then that certain pill may not be for you. I heard its very common to break out in months 1-2 because of the adjustment phase but it shouldn't be BAD and i dont think anybody has the patience to wait up to 8 months, i mean, i haven't heard of that.