Notifications
Clear all

Doctor Tells Me Diet Has Nothing To Do With My Acne, What Is Causing It In Such A Weird Place?

MemberMember
(@dchinot)

Posted : 01/28/2013 7:56 pm

15 years old

121 lb's

I have sever acne, I have acne all around my mouth, back and chest. I went to a doctor today to check for imbalances with my liver and blood ect.. To see if i could correct any imbalances my body had the doctor quoted "You've been reading too much diet has nothing to do with acne" I just don't know who to trust anymore. My acne is bad and I'm desperate for an answer. I have a dermatologist appointment in roughly 2 weeks and i don't want to wait that long. Anyone have any ideas of what is causing my acne on and around my mustache area?

post-198157-0-52610700-1359420899_thumb.

post-198157-0-52610700-1359420899_thumb.

MemberMember
(@ughhhhh)

Posted : 01/28/2013 8:03 pm

how often do you change your razor? they can irritate the skin, especially if you havent washed first or the blade is old. they recommend changing razors like once a week.

dchinot liked
MemberMember
(@kylie2013)

Posted : 01/28/2013 8:52 pm

your diet is nothing to do with your acne although it would help to get planty of vitimins in your diet.

dchinot liked
MemberMember
(@sebumsucks)

Posted : 01/29/2013 12:06 am

First off from the pic you've posted I would say you have more moderate acne than severe but I know that doesn't lessen how it can negatively affect one's self or your resolve to get rid of it.

Diet doesn't cause acne but poor diet can aggravate it. Especially certain types of oils/fats and cholesterol that can change the composition and proportion of such things in the sebum that is produced on the skin. Try to reduce or eliminate as many fatty/greasy foods from your diet (i.e. fried anything). Trans fats are really really bad and inflammatory too (not just for your skin but for your heart and rest of body too). Don't eat anything with Trans fat in it. Luckily nowadays fewer and fewer foods have Trans fat in them anymore but double check any cookies and chips that may still have them and stay clear.

MemberMember
(@abduliii)

Posted : 01/29/2013 7:04 pm

First of all doctors are experienced but they dont know EVERYTHING. Youre food has EVERYTHING to do what happens inside and outside your body.. THIS IS FACT!!! like when you eat oranges your skin is healthy. Eating too much junk especially sugar will spike your insulin, which is a hormone, this will cause your skin to produce more oil.

Last year I cut out every kind of pop, and had seen a huge difference in my skin. Trust me

And btw, razors will irritate your skin EXTREMELY, I shave and the next day or two I get a zit. When I dont shave, my skin is smooth

MemberMember
(@coffeetea)

Posted : 01/29/2013 10:37 pm

First of all doctors are experienced but they dont know EVERYTHING. Youre food has EVERYTHING to do what happens inside and outside your body.. THIS IS FACT!!! like when you eat oranges your skin is healthy. Eating too much junk especially sugar will spike your insulin, which is a hormone, this will cause your skin to produce more oil.

Last year I cut out every kind of pop, and had seen a huge difference in my skin. Trust me

And btw, razors will irritate your skin EXTREMELY, I shave and the next day or two I get a zit. When I dont shave, my skin is smooth

Actually no, everyone is different. If diet directly causes acne, than everyone that eats/drinks dairy/wheat/soy/sugar/caffeine will be a walking zit farm (mainly first world countries), but that clearly this isn't evident in any our society (majority wise that is). Go inside a coffee shop, are the majority of their customers suffering from acne? Yes, everyone reacts differently to certain food/triggers, but we cant apply that blanket statement to everyone. There is no doubt you should eat a well balanced diet for your general well being though.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 02/02/2013 11:59 pm

accutane

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 02/04/2013 7:45 pm

This is a good read. Different foods affect people differently. But your goal in altering any diet should be to provide your body with the healthiest, most nutrient dense foods possible. Organic is best. Cutting out the refined crap foods/sugars/vegetable oils is huge as well. And a pure water source is also important for keeping the liver/kidneys free of chlorine/fluoride/other water contaminates. You can pick up distilled water at wal mart by the gallon. You can pour this through a brita water pitcher with a carbon filter to get most if not all the chlorine out of the water. Or you can let it set out as the chlorine will evaporate at extremely low temp. like negative degrees.

Also what do you use topically? I don't advocate harsh cleansers/creams, as these cause your skin to want to produce even more oil. Not to mention the fact that they are irritating, even to non-sensitve skin types. Just because it doesn't hurt doesn't mean it isn't irritating your skin

MemberMember
(@tien10)

Posted : 02/04/2013 8:58 pm

Some doctors act like they know everything, but they dont. Your diet is part of the contribution to your acne. I'm assuming since you're 15, you eat nothing but burgers and fried foods, chips, soda right?

MemberMember
(@dchinot)

Posted : 02/10/2013 12:34 pm

Some doctors act like they know everything, but they dont. Your diet is part of the contribution to your acne. I'm assuming since you're 15, you eat nothing but burgers and fried foods, chips, soda right?

Now i do. i found something that helped it a lot, but i still have some left over. Its hard to stick to my diet when everyone around me is eating all this bad food at my house and I'm eating all this health crap. It taste horrible! Plus i have to cook it all myself and I'm growing so i need to eat A LOT. I also go to the gym so a lot of food is necessary.