Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
volcom3453

3 Years Post Accutane Hair Update

Hi all,

It's been ages since I've been on the forum here. My last update was another rather positive one about a year ago when I chopped off my long hair only to realize it looked quite good, haha. To make a long story short, I finished a 6 month course of Accutane 3 years ago. I had moderate persistent acne during my teenage years up to the age of 20 and nothing really solved the problem until I finished Accutane.

During my treatment, one of my greatest fears was to have problems with my hair. In a journal here I often documented how my hair was doing - in addition to commenting in the giant thread called "what your doctor didn't tell you about hair loss." Like many, I noticed increased hair loss, and it was definitely noticeable along with all of the other typical symptoms (dry everything, mood changes, lack of energy, etc.) It's funny because I remember analyzing everyone's hair after I started becoming so worried about my own. How awful.

You're probably assuming bad news based on other accounts, but I am happy to say my hair is much improved and looking sexy. It's definitely thickened up more on top and around my crown again and the only differnece is really a bit more corner recession which is just a maturing hairline. During accutane my hair become much more frail. It lost some shine and was just duller, thinner, and more lifeless. Maybe if you're on the drug now you can feel the difference.....I recall it being almost like dead grass as opposed to fresh green grass. It's hard to believe three years went by but all I can say is my hair definitely improved and I've been virtually acne-free since. Of course occasional pimples here and there but only a few cysts (mainly on my back) since the course ended.

I think that the Accutane shocked my body and I developed telogen effluvium from the drug and my body has slowly recovered all these years. I know that the drug has a lot of downfalls too, and in the end you need to weigh the positives and negatives. I'm so happy that it cleared up my acne. I guess I'm predisposed to being self-conscious about other things now that acne isn't an issue. Don't lose hope! I'm more than willing to answer questions more in-depth, or share more of my story to help others too. Well, just wanted to share my story so others can be more hopeful about their hair too. It's the least I can do after receiving all the help from great people here in the past. I would be willing to share some photos of my hair before and after as well.

Good luck!

Edited by volcom3453

Hi all,

It's been ages since I've been on the forum here. My last update was another rather positive one about a year ago when I chopped off my long hair only to realize it looked quite good, haha. To make a long story short, I finished a 6 month course of Accutane 3 years ago. I had moderate persistent acne during my teenage years up to the age of 20 and nothing really solved the problem until I finished Accutane.

During my treatment, one of my greatest fears was to have problems with my hair. In a journal here I often documented how my hair was doing - in addition to commenting in the giant thread called "what your doctor didn't tell you about hair loss." Like many, I noticed increased hair loss, and it was definitely noticeable along with all of the other typical symptoms (dry everything, mood changes, lack of energy, etc.) It's funny because I remember analyzing everyone's hair after I started becoming so worried about my own. How awful.

You're probably assuming bad news based on other accounts, but I am happy to say my hair is much improved and looking sexy. It's definitely thickened up more on top and around my crown again and the only differnece is really a bit more corner recession which is just a maturing hairline. During accutane my hair become much more frail. It lost some shine and was just duller, thinner, and more lifeless. Maybe if you're on the drug now you can feel the difference.....I recall it being almost like dead grass as opposed to fresh green grass. It's hard to believe three years went by but all I can say is my hair definitely improved and I've been virtually acne-free since. Of course occasional pimples here and there but only a few cysts (mainly on my back) since the course ended.

I think that the Accutane shocked my body and I developed telogen effluvium from the drug and my body has slowly recovered all these years. I know that the drug has a lot of downfalls too, and in the end you need to weigh the positives and negatives. I'm so happy that it cleared up my acne. I guess I'm predisposed to being self-conscious about other things now that acne isn't an issue. Don't lose hope! I'm more than willing to answer questions more in-depth, or share more of my story to help others too. Well, just wanted to share my story so others can be more hopeful about their hair too. It's the least I can do after receiving all the help from great people here in the past. I would be willing to share some photos of my hair before and after as well.

Good luck!

Great to Hear! You should post somethings if you haven't in the hairloss thread and pics! Might give thoose who are just suffering from hairloss some hope :) If I remember correctly you might posted what helped you if not you should too!

you needed up to 3 years to recover the state of your hair pre accutane?

At least a couple yes. It's not quite the same state. Either Accutane changed the texture a bit or my hair just kept changing. My hair is much curlier than it was a few years ago. It used to be relatively wavy but now it curls very easily. Thanks Oli, bv and livetoregret. It will take time.

3 years later for me and it's as worse as it's ever been. More recession, it feels so dry and thin, do you have ANY suggestions, I just can't picture myself without hair.

-Thanks

Volcom, did you do anything like changing your diet or taking supplements for hair?

Is your hair just different in texture or do you think it's somewhat thinner than your original hair?