Notifications
Clear all

Acne Or Dermatitis?

MemberMember
(@bobbyz1)

Posted : 01/25/2013 4:04 pm

Hello

Ive had these 2 spots on my face under both sides of my mouth for over a year and a half now, I know I need to go to a dermatoligist and will in a few weeks when my insurance kicks in

In the meantime, can someone help possibly identify what this looks like?

Does it look like perioral dermatitis? Hyperpigmentation blocthes? I've been treating it as PD and have been using organic yogurt masks, ACV, tea tree oil, but it doesn't seem to help all that much if at all

The spots don't itch at all and don't get flaky at all unless I put something on them that dries them up- but they are always there, they won't go away

They are a bit flaky in the photos below since i've been using Nixoderm on them past few days, which seems to be lightening them up just a tad, but they're still there and it's super frustrating

Certain lighting makes the 2 blocthes look absolutley horrific when looking in the mirror, some mirrors and lighting combos are far far worse than others

Any help would be appreciated, THANKS

post-196453-0-66394200-1359147892_thumb.

post-196453-0-66394200-1359147892_thumb.

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 01/25/2013 4:39 pm

The redness and the area certainly resemble Perioral Dermatitis. How long have you been trying the ACV? The suggested time for PD to clear is about 1-2 months and this is with antibiotics. So give it some time before thinking it might not be working.

MemberMember
(@bobbyz1)

Posted : 01/25/2013 5:28 pm

The redness and the area certainly resemble Perioral Dermatitis. How long have you been trying the ACV? The suggested time for PD to clear is about 1-2 months and this is with antibiotics. So give it some time before thinking it might not be working.

Hi Hoots, thanks for the reply

I really hope it is PD. I'd rather have PD then hyperpigmentation!

To be honest I was trying ACV sporadically and randomly along with yogurt masks, honey masks, garlic, acidolpphis pills, tea tree oil, etc. etc. but never did it long term because it made my skin ridiculously red and inflamed. The redness would go down, but in the end, the 2 rashes above were standing tall and came out uneffected. However, I wasn't diluting the ACV..Lol

Last week I actually tried getting some cotton pads with full strength organic ACV on them tried tieing them to the area with a long string around my head, if you can imagine that, and letting the rash soak. It helped temporarliry, the pimples in the area actually scabbed almost immeaditely, then some new ones started popping up, so I did the same procedure again, and that's where i'm at now. Here's a pic of this from about a week ago pre ACV cottom swab tieing expirement:

Would you say the pics below looks like PD?

I noticed your sig, hahaha

You think I should definately try ACV again this time diluting it, and doing it everyday? Will it help with the redness?

About 2 months ago I also got rid of all products containg sodium laurel sulfate...i'm pretty sure Cetaphil has SLS in it though??

And for the past 2 months I thought I totally eliminated SLS from everything I used however last week I then realized my shaving cream had the ingredient in it, which I was still using. I was also using a lot of teeth whitening gel, mouthwashes and whitening toothpaste that I suspect may of originally caused this about a year ago. I stopped everything, now i'm left with far less pimples in the area and just 2 blotches that won't go away neutral.gif

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 01/25/2013 6:00 pm

I would most definitely try the ACV again, using it day and night, diluted (this is key), and only on the infected areas. I've had PD a couple times now and whenever I use ACV - even if it's diluted - it does cause me a bit of redness. This WILL subside. I also found that after my PD bumps stopped weeping (usually after 3 or 4 days of application) you can begin to introduce a moisturizer. I use Cetaphil and have for a long time and really like it. Something else that I've recently tried is an antifungal cream, just an any day one you can pick up at the store, mine says it's used for athletes foot, etc. I would apply it twice a day and that also helped with my bumps.

I've always done a round of antibiotics when mine flares and in my opinion it's the fastest and makes you feel like you've really kicked it. People do swear by the ACV though. Also - in my opinion - I believe PD flares from your skins Ph levels being disrupted. So in my case, mine usually flares in change in temperature or weather or if I accidentally put something too drying on my skin, sleep in makeup, stuff like that. I do think it's great you've eliminated all those SLS products - they're very drying.

Those bottom pictures you posted don't exactly look like my PD but the one you first posted does.

Side-note: Cetaphil moisturizer doesn't have SLS in it :) so no need to worry there.

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 01/25/2013 9:47 pm

I had the same thing and it was diagnosed as pd. I used organic apple cider. Metro gel, and monocycline (antibiotic). Took roughly 1 month to clear. I know what you mean about the redness...just whatever you do don't use steroid creams (I did and after I read that's the absolute worst thing you can do as it appears to get better but really all your doing is feeding it and it comes back worse)

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 01/31/2013 3:32 pm

Have you been using the ACV? Curious on how your treatment is working.

MemberMember
(@bobbyz1)

Posted : 01/31/2013 4:12 pm

Have you been using the ACV? Curious on how your treatment is working.

Hello again Hoots! :)

I currently stopped using the ACV for the time being because whenever I do use it, even if it's ridiculously diluted with water....I put a tiny amount of it on a cotton ball and wipe the rash with it once or twice and my skin almost instantly turns bright red, then that redness usually takes 3-4 days to go away. Without using the ACV the rash isn't nearly as noticeable

I think the brand of ACV i'm using may be the problem...which is Trader Joes organic unfiltered ACV (50 gains) pre-diluted with water to 5% acidity. It's insanely harsh and strong. I'm thinking I might be better off with buying the Braggs/mother version ACV...seems people have a lot of success with that one. I'm not sure how much different it is though but the few times I have used braggs I remember it being somewhat different then the Trader Joes brand, consistency color wise.

I also suspect that this rash has something to possibly do with an allergy I have to something, possibly almonds/cashews/nuts or sensitivity to clothes detergent, dryer sheets, fabric softener, or all of the above...not able to say for sure yet...still trying things out. I noticed the way I sleep and tilt my head on my pillow pushes down exactly where the rash is on both sides of my mouth, depending on which side im sleeping on, which is both...but either way all pressure is put on the areas &.I switch side to side every-night...so there might be connection there...do you know if there are any sulfates in clothes detergent/fabric softener? There don't seem to be any ingredients on the containers that I use (Tide & Snuggle)

I've been eating a clove or two of garlic a day for the past 2 days..which is brutal...but I notice within 40-50 minutes after eating a clove, the PD- if that's what it is, becomes far less inflamed. Garlic is also good at bringing the rash down a bit when rubbed into it...but just like with the ACV I haven't been able to do that because it temporarily makes it a much more inflamed before it gets lighter & then it's only lighter for a day or two before going back to the way it was. I also have been putting emu oil and colloidal oatmeal moisturizing cream on it, which doesn't seem to be doing anything...lol

I have an derm appointment scheduled for the 7th...so we'll see what happens...hoping to at least find out for sure that it's PD...maybe try some anti fungal cream or metro gel. I haven't used any sort of topical creams for a long long time, at least 15 years, not even antibiotics...so maybe if I go on doxycycline, try the metrogel or similar topical and use the ACV like you have...it would respond really well

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 02/01/2013 3:00 pm

PD and any sort of dermatitis or eczema is so frustrating. That's a shame that the ACV is too irritating since so many people have had success with it. You're lucky you have a derm appointment so soon. I scheduled one and it's not till the end of March!! Brutal. I'm wondering if by the time I see the doc my rash will even be there. Hoping not.

I know for a fact most detergents and fabric softener have SLS in it, as well as other harsh chemicals. It's best to find an organic one if you're worried about it being an allergy. Something to bring up to the derm would be requesting an allergy test too. I like the garlic idea, I've heard so many good things about eating it raw. I should probably try that out when I'm finished with my antibiotics.

Another thing you mentioned was the way you were sleeping... I know you might not think you do it but a lot of people drool a bit in their sleep, if your saliva is getting to those areas on your chin and you're rubbing against your pillow cases that could be extremely irritating as there's lots of bacteria in your mouth and spit. I actually believe my PD flared because I was at the dentist and drooling all over the place, it was extra irritating to my skin lol! Something to think about...

You'll have to let me know how your derm appointment goes!

Hoots

MemberMember
(@bobbyz1)

Posted : 02/07/2013 4:39 pm

I have been using a very small tiny amount of AJAX detergent to wash my clothes...ingredients list doesn't have SLS on it (finally found some detergent that actually lists the ingredients, which is non existent for fabric softeners!). I ditched the fabric softeners/dryer sheets...am now using squigle toothpaste, with fluoride...since the problem seems to be strictly SLS related.

Great point about drooling..lol God knows I used to brush my teeth about 4-5 times day on-top of using a whitening gel that i'd keep in my mouth for 15-20-30 minutes...so if I was drooling in my sleep, which I probably was, the area with the PD was soaking in SLS and various other chemicals on a nightly basis for quite a while...lol

I had to hold off on eating a clove of garlic daily all last week and this week and my PD is back almost in full force.

Anyway today was my dermatologist appointment....confirmed perioral dermatitis! I Was prescribed 100 Mg Monodox 2xs a day & a topical Sodium Sulfacetamide creme.

I hate doctors so much. I mentioned how much success I was having with garlic and ACV (when the initial redness dyed down) and he seemed to think there's no way anything other then pills & topical cremes could help PD and told me to "stop doing all the other stuff" LOL. I mentioned SLS to him and he played dumb almost, never suggested me change my toothpaste or anything like that either....and this is one of if not the top dermatologist in my area (Philadelphia). Goes to show you they really only know what they've been taught, and how to push drugs.

Anyway I will give these 2 prescriptions a go and see what happens. I would love to eat a clove of garlic & use ACV instead of this but i'm so busy right now to go on with both treatments...garlic especially since once you eat a clove of garlic, you smell like straight garlic 24/7 for about 1-2 weeks after you stop...but eating 1 close a day (maybe even less will work) definitely helps PD as does doing a Niacin Flush.

Ontop of the 2 prescriptions I might try to eat maybe 3-4 pieces of garlic everyday instead of a whole clove.

I will also post pics on here later of what my PD looks like now and how it looks during the course of taking the Monodox & the Sodium Sulfacetamide creme. Both things seems to have pretty great reviews.

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 02/08/2013 2:36 pm

Well this is all good news if you ask me! I second your opinion on doctors and how useless they are. It's sad that I've become better at diagnosing myself and am able to just walk into a clinic and ask for the proper prescriptions. Very disappointing.

Sounds like you have your PD figured out, which is great news. It seems like every case is slightly different and to know what really triggers your is great (and makes it easier to prevent). I've had it 4 times now, with the latter times not being as serious, I believe this is because I know how to catch it right away! However, each time I have done a month of antibiotics, just to make sure it's gone for good. I don't really like topical treatments.

I find it interesting that you think it's the SLS and not the Fluoride. I've gone back and forth between the two so many times, and even to this day I'm not sure which bothers me more. I've used whitening treatments before with no problem but then I've used certain toothpastes or mouthwashes that have made me breakout. Seems like you're probably right about the SLS. I really wish there was more information on PD and why it responds so well to antifungals but needs an antibiotic for the final kick. It's all so bizarre to me.

Glad you got the meds to finally get rid of this frustrating dermatitis.

MemberMember
(@bobbyz1)

Posted : 02/15/2013 12:00 pm

Hello again Hoots smile.png

I am not sure if I have a Flouride or SLS sensitivity....I recently ran out of my natural toothpaste and picked up some sensodyne (SLS free, but with Fluoride) and also picked up a tube of Squigle (SLS free, with flouride, but is apparently "for" perioral dermatitis, even says so on the package) but my POD recently flared up again, so maybe it is the Fluoride? I also had a few breath mints around the same time...so who knows. I don't understand how it can be fluoride related though seeing as Fluoride is in all tap water...I take lots of showers...so Fluoride is constantly touching the area even if I don't use Fluoride toothpaste...I also drink lots of bottled water that probably has Flouride comfort.gif

Yesterday I picked up a tube of 100% natural SLS/Flouride free toothpaste from Trader Joes. Amazon shipping is SO SLOW. I ran out of the toothpaste I've been using...Jason power smile 100% natural so I ordered some more 10 days ago...still hasn't shipped! At TJs yesterday I also picked up a 100% natural/organic clothes detergent...the one I was using still had a sulfate as an ingredient...although it wasn't sodium laurel/laureth sulfate....I decided to ditch it anyway to see if it makes a difference.

I have been on the MONODOX since last Thursday...so far no improvement to the POD...HOWEVER I've had an insanely nagging & irritating throat/ear infection for quite a while ever since I had my wisdom teeth pulled about a year ago...and no doubt, the Monodox totally cleared it up smile.png So at least it helped with that and the antibiotics weren't a total waste.

I can't use the cream the Derm gave me as it irritated the living hell out of my skin....1 small amount turned my skin bright red and irritated. Used it one day and that was that.

Since I decided to ditch the cream, this past Tuesday I decided to do the ACV thing again since I have a few days off from work. I am actually beginning to think this might not be POD at all, but instead a fungus type of skin infection.

I diluted some ACV with water and swiped it over the area a few times on Tuesday, and right now, the area is hard and scabbed up formed into 2 perfect circles....is it possible it's fungus related & actually not even POD?

I brought this up to my derm when I was there for the POD because I have also developed a small missing patch of facial hair in the exact same area...where my goatee is...in certain light I can see there is redness over the pores, perhaps preventing the hair from growing there, another reason I think it may be fungus related

Derm said it was PD, gave me pills and sent me on my way rather quickly...but this scabbing to me reminds me of when I once used ACV for ring worm...what do you think? Did you experience this type of scabbing after applying the ACV to your POD?

I have some organic honey on it now to soothe it

post-196453-0-25236300-1360947606_thumb.

post-196453-0-11584600-1360947610_thumb.

post-196453-0-25236300-1360947606_thumb.

post-196453-0-11584600-1360947610_thumb.

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 02/26/2013 5:06 pm

The pictures resemble POD. I doubt it's fungal - unless it's super duper itchy. Antibiotics would also significantly make any fungal infection worse. It sounds like you're using a lot of different remedies all at once and not sticking with one specifically. Personally I've always stuck with one remedy for 1 or 2 weeks and then let the antibiotics do the rest for the whole month. By the end of the month I'm clear. Try either the ACV/yogurt/honey/prescription cream for 1 or 2 weeks without anything else and then just completely leave it along. The more severe side of your face looks as though you might have a secondary staph infection. Maybe it's just really irritated? But the color suggests it could be infected.

I know you posted this a couple weeks ago, so let me know how it's doing now. Hopefully a lot better with the antibiotics!

MemberMember
(@bobbyz1)

Posted : 03/01/2013 1:47 am

Hello again Hoots

I know I said i'd keep something of a diary about this dermatitis...but I haven't had the time :\ I will post some pics tomorrow though.

To update you, so far, nothing has changed. If anything, the spot on the right side of my face grew a little bit. The 2 spots aren't getting pimples, but are still there.

I had a bad reaction to the Sodium Sulfacetamide cream I was prescribed, so I was given Clindamycin Phosphate 1% topical lotion instead. I have been using that for a few days...no results yet.

I started taking the Monodox on February 7th...so i'll give it some more time, along with this lotion, which my skin seems to be tolerating, even though I'm not sure it's doing anything to get rid of this whatsoever.

The last 2 pics I posted are what the spots turn into after I apply the ACV. They scab up, the scab falls off, the areas are a whole lot lighter and less noticeable for a few days, but return at full force within a week. ACV, so far, is the only thing that has given me any type of positive results so i've been tempted to use it again and more consistently...but right now, I'm giving this lotion a go.

Like you said it's probably not good to try different things at the same time...i'm just so over this and ready for it to go away. Enough is enough. I also hate being on these antibiotics and refuse to be on them anymore than a month in a half or so, especially considering I start another job on the 30th, which requires me to be in the sun for at least 6-7 hours every day...so the Monodox will have to go because it makes you sensitive to sunlight.

I'm gonna stick with this cream for 2 weeks, stay on the monodox for a little longer and see what happens. If nothing happens, I'll replace the cream with ACV and apply it everyday, as opposed to every 2-3 days or whatever I was doing before.

The only problem is, when I use the ACV, the areas scab up immediately which is why I never used the ACV long term. I still think it might be some other sort of skin infection instead of POD because i've read a lot of ACV/POD testimonials, probably close to every one...lol...and never read anyone saying their POD scabbed up from ACV. I'm not even so sure the pimples in the area (that resemble POD) were originally even from POD itself as opposed to them being simple breakouts because of different things I used to always rub on my face in the area....from vitamin E cream, to castor oil, alo vera, lemon juice, honey, yogurt, etc. etc. The spots...the entire area was never pimply at all until I started to try to get rid of redness.I never had any pimples in the area, it was always just 2 red blotches.

The derm said it was POD...so right now...I'm treating it as POD....lol.....my gut feeling keeps talking to me saying it's not though...grrr! Fingers crossed I hope it is and the cream + monodox start to kick in. I have read some people taking Monodox twice a day...i'm only taking it once...I'm thinking I may need to up the dosage...now is the time because I can't be on it when the end of March rolls around. I have a followup appointment in a week or so with the derm..so we will see what happens!

I will be sure to post pics tomorrow...I myself am even curious to see how it looks right now in a photo compared to the photos above.

MemberMember
(@akatom)

Posted : 03/04/2013 2:50 pm

Hey, just a question about the ACV.

Does it HAVE to be apple cider vinegar? Or would cider vinegar suffice?

Literally all the home remedies you've been trying bobby are exactly what I've been trying. I seem to be stuck in a horrible vicious circle right now - apply moisturisers / oatmeal masks to help get rid of the redness, but that causes spots, so i treat the spots, they become red marks, repeat a billion times.

Recently I've found applying green tea helps (make a cup, let it cool and apply it to the areas). So now I'm thinking about making my own toner (I think thats the word) - a mix of green tea, ACV, maybe lemon juice too (not sure if mixing too many things would ruin the effectiveness)

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 03/21/2013 2:17 pm

Hey guys,

How are you both doing? I just recently had an outbreak of small spots near my bottom right lip. It basically looks like they're on my lip or right on the boarder and when I wash my face they break open and leak a clear fluid. I've never really had this on or this close to my lip so it confused me, not sure if it's actually PD. I did however get into a derm and he told me that is what I have and gave me some Aczone (topical antibiotic) I've been using it morning and night for only two days now and it seems to dry out the spots but I can't tell yet if it's actually going to work in the long run. I mentioned before I just wen through a round of antibiotics so this is so annoying that it's come back so fast.

I'm curious as to how your round of antibiotics went Bobby? Or how your skin is doing overall.

Talk soon,

Hoots

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 03/22/2013 1:46 pm

I also just recently found this blog post about PD ( http://zizaidermatology.wordpress.com/2012/08/22/that-rash-around-your-mouth-might-be-perioral-dermatitis/ ) and a lot of people were mentioning Balsam of Peru being a huge irritant for them. This is in a lot of products and foods. Just a thought?

MemberMember
(@bobbyz1)

Posted : 04/28/2013 8:01 pm

Hey Hoots

It's been a while!

I had this thread bookmarked but for some reason every-time I tried to access it, it would say invalid. But for some reason, now it's showing up again huh.png

Anyway- little update on my POD- if that's what this is- in 3 words- Worse then ever. Still convinced it may be fungal. Nothing is working. Nothing.

I started Monodox/Doxy on February 7th, 100 mg once a day. Like I said in my prior post, the original cream I was given (Sodium Sulfacetamide & Sulfa) instantly made my POD at least 10xs worse the day after I started using it and it's stayed that way since Feb 8th-9th. I was then prescribed Clindamycin Phosphate as a replacement. Used that for a few weeks. Originally started looking better, then stopped working and lost all of it's effectiveness. Waste of time, so I stopped using it.

After my follow up appointment on April 4th, my derm tried to somehow spin my current condition and say his original prescriptions helped. Boldfaced lie. I had deuce chills. I had been taking 100 mg of Doxy once a day since Feb 7th. He then upped my dosage to 100 mg twice a day and gave me metronidazole lotion 0.75. Just like the Clindamycin lotion, the Metro lotion started working and improving the areas, then stopped- now it has zero effect at this point when I put it on. Never helped cure it anyway, just temporarily faded the redness. Right now the 2 spots are back to how they originally were after putting the initial sulfa lotion on it, which is worse then before I even saw the derm. Keep in mind all these prescriptions I was given, lotions & Doxys carried 4-5 refills. Insanity. My latest Doxy prescription has 5 refills before April 2014. Really? I'm not taking this shit for that long. You have to be nuts.

Seems like everything I try- from ACV, to grapefruit seed extract- works: initially, but soon thereafter, stops working after the skin gets used to it, then it has zero effect. I feel like i've exhausted all my options here, not sure what else to do at this point. Still taking the doxy, seems to be doing absolutely nothing though. Been on it for almost 3 months now and see zero improvement even with the upped dosag...i've had these 2 spots going on almost 3 years at this point.

Been SLS/flouride free for months now also. This simply isn't fun at all. People stare and rightfully so. it's crippling and draining emotionally and physically. I'm tempted to try another derm, but knowing all they're gonna do is prescribe more creams that work only temporarily and more pills, it's a bit disheartening. Like I said, I have no idea where to go from here. Few days ago I purchased neem soap to wash the area. Before that, I was washing with organic tea tree soap and/or oatmeal/honey soap.

MemberMember
(@bobbyz1)

Posted : 04/28/2013 8:20 pm

Plenty of people online post about how Doxy cleared them up, but once they stopped taking the Doxy, it came back. I'm so jealous of those people...lol Mine hasn't budged one bit through all of this. Closest i've come is to the above photos in this thread- when I tied a saturated cloth drenched in ACV on the areas. Caused them to scab, but underneath the scab was pink skin, which eventually turned back into what it originally looked like.

it seems like this is several layers UNDER the skin, so putting topicals ontop of the skin aren't going to do much as they aren't even really touching the actual area. That's what it seems like anyway. If I push down hard on the areas or make a silly face, the areas fade and disappear but go right back to being red once I stop.

I am still convinced it is fungal though, and that's why nothing is working. So for the past 4-5 days i've been treating it as a fungal infection using Lotrimin Ultra. I am still taking Doxy twice a day and will do so until the 5th of May, then i'm done with the antibiotics. The derm still persceibed these to me, even knowing full well I work outside 6-7 days directly in the sun.

I am currently applying "Miconazole nitrate 2%" on my 2 spots. This cream is a "vaginal anti-fungal" (MONISTAT) Not sure why but i've convinced myself I originally got this on my face after engaging in ***TMI ALERT***** oral sex with a female who possibly had a yeast infection...and the rash is a result of coming into contact with said yeast infection. That's why i've always believed it to be fungal, and no perioral dermatitis. The area never burned, itched or anything. Can't say for sure though but like I said I don't have much to loose...i'm at my wits end here.

Next logical step I guess would be to get the areas patch tested to find out FOR SURE they are / aren't perioal dermatitis. It's incredible this wasn't the first course of action taken by the derm. I get that they think they're pros and they can eyeball it, but just looking at pictures online from various different skin issues, it could easily be something other than PD...a lot of pictures of skin rashes I see seem resemble what I have.

These spots were never pimply, itchy, burning or anything at all until I started rubbing lemon juice on them around Christmas time of last year, which is what the first pics in this thread were a result of. I.

eusa_think.gif

Just took the pics below. A few pimples in the area now but only because last week I was rubbing grapefruit seed extract in the area which caused a small breakout. If I leave the area alone for a week, they're just red blotches.

MemberMember
(@bobbyz1)

Posted : 04/28/2013 9:03 pm

Pics

post-196453-0-28511100-1367200949_thumb.

post-196453-0-36238100-1367200955_thumb.

post-196453-0-14203000-1367200959_thumb.

post-196453-0-57697300-1367200963_thumb.

post-196453-0-64013500-1367200966_thumb.

post-196453-0-28511100-1367200949_thumb.

post-196453-0-36238100-1367200955_thumb.

post-196453-0-14203000-1367200959_thumb.

post-196453-0-57697300-1367200963_thumb.

post-196453-0-64013500-1367200966_thumb.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 04/29/2013 11:20 am

Well Im someone whos very against antibiotics and all the creams the derms give ya, because it destroys all the bacteria in you and actually makes things worse in the long run, like a big temp bandaid and then when you go off the drugs comes back three times as strong.. hopefully that doesnt happen to you. I would recommend cutting out grains, refined sugar, and dairy. Supplement with Zinc and B5. And as far as topical, Raw Honey. Swear by it I had the same thing as you, leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash off, ONLY do this every other night, dont wash your face at all anymore then that. People who over wash their faces strip the acid mantle and make their skin more sensitive and dependent on a chemical to kill the bad bacteria. Allow your acid mantle to heal and it will defend itself and look better then ever, try it raw honey every other day. Ive been through it all and know skin problems through and through and this regimen is better then anything any doctor will give to you.

MemberMember
(@bobbyz1)

Posted : 04/29/2013 2:52 pm

Well Im someone whos very against antibiotics and all the creams the derms give ya, because it destroys all the bacteria in you and actually makes things worse in the long run, like a big temp bandaid and then when you go off the drugs comes back three times as strong.. hopefully that doesnt happen to you. I would recommend cutting out grains, refined sugar, and dairy. Supplement with Zinc and B5. And as far as topical, Raw Honey. Swear by it I had the same thing as you, leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash off, ONLY do this every other night, dont wash your face at all anymore then that. People who over wash their faces strip the acid mantle and make their skin more sensitive and dependent on a chemical to kill the bad bacteria. Allow your acid mantle to heal and it will defend itself and look better then ever, try it raw honey every other day. Ive been through it all and know skin problems through and through and this regimen is better then anything any doctor will give to you.

Hello thehoper, thanks for the words of encouragement!

The western medicine route for me is always a very last resort. I haven't been to a derm before this since I was maybe 15 years old (26 now). Whenever I had occasional bouts with acne i'd simply eat lots of spinach for 4-5 days, do a sauna, maybe eat some raw garlic and drink some ACV and it would go away. Any other issues i've ever had I was always able to treat them naturally, always with great results, with the exception of some proactiv use when I was maybe 19-20, before I discovered that shrimp & chocolate always made me break out. Eliminated both from my diet and haven't had much if any acne ever since. if I eat chocolate or shrimp though, i'll break out for sure.

I avoid doctors in general, as in my life, I always notice the healthiest people that live the longest are usually the ones who avoid doctors. For me this was such an embarrassing, stressful, draining issue though that I was desperate, broke down and actually purchased medical insurance because of this rash. I tried so many natural remedies but it would keep coming back. So far the insurance and visiting the derm has been a total, complete waste of time....and money.

Last night I experimented some more with apple cider vinegar, this time I have the one "with mother". My rash only responds to heavy doses of it at this point and I'm convinced I can cure the rash with the ACV alone, but I need to do it when I have a week or so of vacation time. Since the area has built up something of a tolerance to the ACV, last night I filled a bottle cap up with full strength ACV and basically dipped my finger in it and rubbed the ACV on my rash a ton of times. It responded and started to turn white, but I can't keep doing it right now as I have to work and can't work with scabs and stuff on my face right now but I sort of know what I need to do, I think. Gonna tackle it head on starting on the 5th!

The very first pic in this thread is from when after I tied gauze soaked in ACV to the spots and it scabbed up...the scab eventually fell off. Underneath the scab if what you see in the first pic...yet another layer of pinkish skin with red circular dots underneath. So the plan is to get the first layer to peel off again with the ACV, and then repeat it to the layer that will appear underneath the scab, to make sure I get all of it. This thing is multi layered...there's several layers of it under the skin, which is why I feel the topicals haven't been successful in my case...they aren't coming anywhere close to even touching the actual problematic layer where as ACV burns the skin to a degree and paves the way for potential to get to the actual issue.It seems like there's just layers of redness, pinkness and circular red dots.

I have also tried standard honey in the past with good results. Tomorrow I plan to get some organic raw manuka honey and see what happens...heard great things about it! I also use coconut oil a couple times a week and am still using yogurt...not sure if they do anything. Just received some jojoba oil in the mail today as well that I will try.

I do believe ACV is the answer and possibly the Miconazole nitrate 2% as well, but it takes time and consistency, neither of which I can pull off right now. I plan to dive into the ACV full strength several times a day on the 5th of May as I have maybe 8-9 days off.

I do take a multitude of vitamins, from probiotics, zinc, garlic, fish oils, flax seed, etc. etc. and don't eat that much dairy with the exception of yogurt and kifer. I have been taking them for a long time and don't think they're helping much at all, however I will definitely try adding some more B5 to my regime though...thanks for the tip!

It looks a little bit better today I think. Like I said previously I was using using Miconazole nitrate 2% on it all day yesterday and rubbed a bottle cap of full strength ACV on it before I went to bed. Then afterwards I put a combo of powdered sugar, organic olive oil & coconut oil which seems to help with the overall redness and inflammation. I slept with it on the rash.

Here's how it's looking today, seems somewhat less inflamed and less angry then it did yesterday. It's also now somewhat hard and rough, which I think is a great sign...just sucks I can't keep going with it as I have to get to work huh.png

MemberMember
(@bobbyz1)

Posted : 04/29/2013 3:13 pm

I also just recently found this blog post about PD ( http://zizaidermatology.wordpress.com/2012/08/22/that-rash-around-your-mouth-might-be-perioral-dermatitis/ ) and a lot of people were mentioning Balsam of Peru being a huge irritant for them. This is in a lot of products and foods. Just a thought?

I will keep an eye out for this ingredient hoots! I don't see it any of the products i'm currently consuming though.

Thanks so much for that link though...I read through the site and discovered there is a Chinese medicine establishment with nothing but great reviews within 30 minutes from my house. It also lists that they treat skin problems on their website! So if all else fails, I will definitely check it out.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 04/29/2013 4:31 pm

Does look better. So yeah after reading that I see you understand about the western vs natural as well. I did the whole ACV thing so many times over years always kept going back to it because so many people rave about it.. it honestly never worked for me. But everyone is different.. Ive done literally everything under the sun and the best things that work for me is sea salt water or swimming in the ocean, and the raw honey. Manuka honey is amazing and is the best, its expensive though so lately ive been using organic raw honey and it completely works for me too, but if the money isn't an issue Id definitely recommend Manuka. Honey has been a savior for me, so easy to shave, rinse, smear on honey lol wait little bit and wash it off.. no dryness, flakes, it calms redness and makes my skin super soft, and works for both acne and dermatitis since its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. But yeah dude do what you think works for you I dont want to get in your head and start thinking the ACV wont work or the cream and what not keep goin with whatever works for you, I literally had the exact same circle patches as you and the honey was a miracle, peace.

MemberMember
(@bobbyz1)

Posted : 04/29/2013 6:03 pm

Does look better. So yeah after reading that I see you understand about the western vs natural as well. I did the whole ACV thing so many times over years always kept going back to it because so many people rave about it.. it honestly never worked for me. But everyone is different.. Ive done literally everything under the sun and the best things that work for me is sea salt water or swimming in the ocean, and the raw honey. Manuka honey is amazing and is the best, its expensive though so lately ive been using organic raw honey and it completely works for me too, but if the money isn't an issue Id definitely recommend Manuka. Honey has been a savior for me, so easy to shave, rinse, smear on honey lol wait little bit and wash it off.. no dryness, flakes, it calms redness and makes my skin super soft, and works for both acne and dermatitis since its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. But yeah dude do what you think works for you I dont want to get in your head and start thinking the ACV wont work or the cream and what not keep goin with whatever works for you, I literally had the exact same circle patches as you and the honey was a miracle, peace.

All you used to treat your POD was honey & supplements? Do you know for sure if you had POD? does it still occasionally return?

I work at an outdoor sports arena and deal with thousands of fans every day. Since i've had this rash, I notice SO MANY other people that have it too...most I think don't even realize it. But I definitely notice the same type of redish circles under LOTS of peoples mouths, same spots as you and I have/had it and I notice so many people have it every single day. I even notice a few of my co workers have it also. You think it's toothpaste? Flouride? It's slowly becoming an epidemic it seems...i'm noticing more and more people have it, male & females and even kids. All the sites say it's very rare in men but I find that hard to beleive seeing as I've seen more men have it than females...I don't think it's as rare in men, at least anymore, as it used to be thanks to the evolution of the FDAs chemicals and the problems they cause...it's getting so bad

MemberMember
(@huggatree)

Posted : 05/09/2013 12:32 am

I'm with TheHoper on this one. I think you may be over doing it, making your skin more irritated. Have you ever tried not doing anything at all? And you said you shower alot...that can also be too much for your skin if the water is hot. Think more simply. Less is more! Hope everything works out for you...skin problems suck!

Also, I feel like that area on the chin, the angle the light hits, makes it more noticeable. I break out from time to time in that area, hormonal spot for women, and the marks left behind from the breakout seem to be more noticable there. Have also noticed that with a few of my girlfriends.