Notifications
Clear all

How Long Does It Take To Develop/correct A Vitamin D Deficiency?

MemberMember
(@semmer)

Posted : 01/25/2013 9:44 am

So, like most folks, my skin is always better in the summer, and worse in the winter. I had levels checked at my physical January 4th, and my vitamin D was at an 18!!!! "Severely low."

So, my question is, could I have had low levels for many, many years? Are my levels likely "on their way up" in the summer, but plunge in the winter? OR is it more likely that my levels are fine in the summer if I get some sun every day, but just super low in the winter? I guess I'd like to know how long it takes to get D levels up closer to 75-90, where I'd like to be?

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 01/28/2013 1:43 am

Are you supplementing?

MemberMember
(@semmer)

Posted : 01/28/2013 1:44 pm

Are you supplementing?

Yes. And it's definitely working. I was just wondering what levels likely are during the summer, because I heard one person say it takes years to develop a deficiency.

MemberMember
(@txngrl)

Posted : 01/28/2013 2:55 pm

Are you supplementing?

Yes. And it's definitely working. I was just wondering what levels likely are during the summer, because I heard one person say it takes years to develop a deficiency.

Hi... what do you mean by "it's definitely working"? Do you mean it's helping to clear your acne? I just joined today, and posted about Vitamin D3.... I started my son on it a couple of days ago, so I'm hopeful... but also scared to get hopeful, because we've been let down by so many other supposed "solutions"... that didn't seem to work.

How many IU are you taking per day? thx.

MemberMember
(@semmer)

Posted : 01/28/2013 4:10 pm

Well I started at 4,000 but I'm up to 10,000. Not sure that much is necessary. If you don't have a deficiency, I highly recommend 5,000 IU/day from a highly bioavailbe source (whole food, cold pressed, organic food supplement).

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/29/2013 11:00 am

I imagine it depends. Just do your best to keep your levels up, ideally from the sun.

Also, there are other reasons why skin can be worse in the winter. There's a reduction in ceramides that are an important part of properly functioning skin in the winter time.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 01/29/2013 3:41 pm

Which :""whole food, cold pressed, supplement" can we get? I know coconut milk contains some vitamin d.

What else has vitamin d in it?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/29/2013 5:04 pm

Which :""whole food, cold pressed, organic food supplement" can we get? I know coconut milk contains some vitamin d.

What else has vitamin d in it?

You really can't get adequate vitamin D from food. But your best sources are fatty fish and mushrooms that have been exposed to the sun, but they do produce Vitamin D2, not 3. There some dispute about the effectivness of that form. But I found one study that said that it just takes longer for D2 to be assimilated or whatever.