Notifications
Clear all

Emotional Hunger

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/25/2013 7:31 am

I think everyone has this one time or another in their lives

I am normally in control of what i eat. Sure i get a sugar craving here or there but i work through it, stick to my training and diet.

However today in work, a work colleague annoyed me so much that after lunch i was still very very hungry. Now i had roast beef and veg for lunch and im normally very content after that.

I was so annoyed that i almost bought a big fat bar of chocolate. I restrained myself to a protein bar, not ideal i know but better than chopping down on chocolate.

Anyone else get to point where you just say "f*ck it i just don't care"???

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 01/25/2013 8:24 am

I know this too well. I'm still bouncing back from a cookie dough, large pizza and ice-cream binge. Fortunately, I've always respected my maintenance calories, but I do generally feel like crap for at least a week after. Now though, I find that occupying my time with something that requires focus like running, or lifting weights, or even cooking/preparing a meal, really helps alleviate that sudden hunger brought about by emotional stress. Also, when summer comes around, you'll be kicking yourself for failing so often lol.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/25/2013 8:45 am

I know this too well. I'm still bouncing back from a cookie dough, large pizza and ice-cream binge. Fortunately, I've always respected my maintenance calories, but I do generally feel like crap for at least a week after. Now though, I find that occupying my time with something that requires focus like running, or lifting weights, or even cooking/preparing a meal, really helps alleviate that sudden hunger brought about by emotional stress. Also, when summer comes around, you'll be kicking yourself for failing so often lol.

Cool, another Londoner biggrin.png

Well said and you're so right. Keeping well focused on my goal for this year to get down to 8 to 10% body fat so have to be on it.

Funny you mention pizza and ice creams as that is my reward meal tomorrow. The first in 3 weeks, need a good refeed after carb cycling for 3 weeks.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/25/2013 9:38 am

So make better things to eat when you feel this way. There's tons of recipes and ideas in the pinned food and recipe thread.

If you like cookies dough, stir a few spoonfuls of nut butter into chopped nuts, seeds, coconut, a little dried fruit or grated veggies like carrot or beets. I do almond butter, sprouted sunflower seeds, which is easy to do, some of the breakfast cereal I make out of sprouted buckwheat, spices, coconut, dried currants, plus more coconut. Sometimes a little coconut oil. Sometimes some cocoa powder.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/25/2013 9:57 am

So make better things to eat when you feel this way. There's tons of recipes and ideas in the pinned food and recipe thread.

If you like cookies dough, stir a few spoonfuls of nut butter into chopped nuts, seeds, coconut, a little dried fruit or grated veggies like carrot or beets. I do almond butter, sprouted sunflower seeds, which is easy to do, some of the breakfast cereal I make out of sprouted buckwheat, spices, coconut, dried currants, plus more coconut. Sometimes a little coconut oil. Sometimes some cocoa powder.

Sounds good thank you.

I don't normally get like this. This guy in work just pushed me over the edge. However normal service has returned. :D

MemberMember
(@steamroom)

Posted : 01/25/2013 10:21 pm

I mean, you're only young once. Tomorrow you're a day older. The younger you are, the easier you can get away with junk food - that's really the way I think of it which allows me to eat what I want (sometimes!).

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 01/26/2013 2:05 am

Every Friday I eat what I want it doesn't effect my acne food never really does only certain trigger foods. Even then I get pissed and say fuck you peanut butter your gettin eatin today.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/28/2013 5:02 am

I mean, you're only young once. Tomorrow you're a day older. The younger you are, the easier you can get away with junk food - that's really the way I think of it which allows me to eat what I want (sometimes!).

You're not wrong but i personally choose to live an healthy life style. I like feeling good, never tired when i wake up and have lots of energy. I pride myself in getting the best out of myself every time i train which requires good nutrition.

I have a reward meal every 2 or 3 weeks but it is a strategic refeed. I plan that reward when i am replenishing glycogen stores. This stops my body adapting to a low carb diet and essentially resets everything.

There are too many people who go to extremes when it comes to eating, There is room for everything in moderation. A little bit of bad is a good way to keep one motivated and stop ones body adapting.

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 01/28/2013 6:39 am

I have a massive craving for chocolate and pizza these days... It kills me!! I ordered some sugar-free chocolate bars through the internet (on some raw food site), so that I can still eat chocolate and not worry about those carbs. And about pizza - everyday I have to pass by a pizzeria close to my house and smell that heavenly smell without being able to just go and get some :D I just want it fat, with loads of cheese and other toppings, yum.... Argh!!! Damn you acne :D

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/28/2013 7:00 am

I have a massive craving for chocolate and pizza these days... It kills me!! I ordered some sugar-free chocolate bars through the internet (on some raw food site), so that I can still eat chocolate and not worry about those carbs. And about pizza - everyday I have to pass by a pizzeria close to my house and smell that heavenly smell without being able to just go and get some biggrin.png I just want it fat, with loads of cheese and other toppings, yum.... Argh!!! Damn you acne biggrin.png

lol liking ur style in all aspect of this post lol

MemberMember
(@tweaker123)

Posted : 01/30/2013 2:02 am

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!!!

sometimes you need to enjoy life and just eat what you want.

yes you might break out a little bit, but eat a little healthier that week, to make it up.

i pretty much eat very healthy everyday of the week except saturday. thats my cheat day.

ill go out with friends and go to all you can eat buffets, and just pig out, and i wont feel guilty at all. you shouldnt stress out over it.

yes i might break out just a little bit, but itll heal the next week, because i eat healthy following that.

and most of the time when i cheat, ill just eat low carb(crap load of fattty meats and delicious protien)

i rather get my carbs from good sources, since i can pretty much each anything low carb and not break out.

seriously i thought iwas getting an eating disorder, because food would always be on my mind, and i would crave anything that wasnt healthy at all, and i would stress everyday about what i was going to eat. no one should be living like that at all. you need to enjoy food sometimes.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/30/2013 4:00 am

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!!!

sometimes you need to enjoy life and just eat what you want.

yes you might break out a little bit, but eat a little healthier that week, to make it up.

i pretty much eat very healthy everyday of the week except saturday. thats my cheat day.

ill go out with friends and go to all you can eat buffets, and just pig out, and i wont feel guilty at all. you shouldnt stress out over it.

yes i might break out just a little bit, but itll heal the next week, because i eat healthy following that.

and most of the time when i cheat, ill just eat low carb(crap load of fattty meats and delicious protien)

i rather get my carbs from good sources, since i can pretty much each anything low carb and not break out.

seriously i thought iwas getting an eating disorder, because food would always be on my mind, and i would crave anything that wasnt healthy at all, and i would stress everyday about what i was going to eat. no one should be living like that at all. you need to enjoy food sometimes.

Sorry but this post makes no sense.

You say eat what you want then you say "i eat healthy" well eating "healthy" isn't what you want.

My nutrition is performance and weight management based. My calorie intake varies daily depending on my training. I carb cycle through the week, mostly moderate carb days, 2 low carb days and one very high carb day. This suits my fitness goals and life style.

I have a reward meal every 2 or 3 weeks. Essentially you get out what you put in.

I think you misunderstood my post. I was just venting because someone annoyed me at work.

MemberMember
(@uncle-buck)

Posted : 01/31/2013 3:45 am

There's a logical reason for this. Stress can drain certain nutrients from your body and it'll cry out for those lost nutrients pretty quickly. You'll naturally want a quick spike to get the nutrients back in as fast as they came out, even if the nutrients aren't actually there. Junk food has this property of being "instant" and so it becomes the highest priority because our body is too stupid to think two steps ahead. (and food companies take full advantage of this)

There's a tale somewhere of a man on a boat who was trapped near a cliff on a river. Over the course of 2 days he lost all his hair and teeth before anyone came to rescue him, stress can literally drain the life out of you.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 01/31/2013 3:52 am

You're not wrong but i personally choose to live an healthy life style. I like feeling good, never tired when i wake up and have lots of energy. I pride myself in getting the best out of myself every time i train which requires good nutrition.

I have a reward meal every 2 or 3 weeks but it is a strategic refeed. I plan that reward when i am replenishing glycogen stores. This stops my body adapting to a low carb diet and essentially resets everything.

There are too many people who go to extremes when it comes to eating, There is room for everything in moderation. A little bit of bad is a good way to keep one motivated and stop ones body adapting.

What do you mean by the bolded part? "This stops my body adapting to a low carb diet." What would happen if your body did adapt to a low carb diet? Would going high carbs again be a bad thing?

There's a logical reason for this. Stress can drain certain nutrients from your body and it'll cry out for those lost nutrients pretty quickly. You'll naturally want a quick spike to get the nutrients back in as fast as they came out, even if the nutrients aren't actually there. Junk food has this property of being "instant" and so it becomes the highest priority because our body is too stupid to think two steps ahead. (and food companies take full advantage of this)

There's a tale somewhere of a man on a boat who was trapped near a cliff on a river. Over the course of 2 days he lost all his hair and teeth before anyone came to rescue him, stress can literally drain the life out of you.

Interesting... I know this is a "tale," but is it really true that he lost all hair/teeth, or is it just a story that emphasizes how bad stress is?

MemberMember
(@uncle-buck)

Posted : 01/31/2013 4:01 am

I searched and couldn't find it, so it could just have been made up. There was a similar story of two men stuck on a mountain who lost all their hair and teeth as well, but that was 10-12 days without food.

I wouldn't want to test it! :D

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/31/2013 4:22 am

What do you mean by the bolded part? "This stops my body adapting to a low carb diet." What would happen if your body did adapt to a low carb diet? Would going high carbs again be a bad thing?

>>There's a logical reason for this. Stress can drain certain nutrients from your body and it'll cry out for those lost nutrients pretty quickly. You'll naturally want a quick spike to get the nutrients back in as fast as they came out, even if the nutrients aren't actually there. Junk food has this property of being "instant" and so it becomes the highest priority because our body is too stupid to think two steps ahead. (and food companies take full advantage of this)

Interesting... I know this is a "tale," but is it really true that he lost all hair/teeth, or is it just a story that emphasizes how bad stress is?

Your body will adapt to any diet over a given period of time. When this happens weight lost "if that is the desired goal" drastically falls off. The body will get use to low carbs and adapt.

A good way of stopping this is to carb cycle. So once a week i plan a refeed. A refeed is where i will eat a high amount of carbs but still withing my calorie target.

My typical daily intake is about 100 to 120grams of carbs of day. This will vary depending on the weight of the person and physical activity. However i keep this the same my body can adapt within 10 days. This where the refeed comes in. On that day my carbs go up to 300 grams, my protein in take stays the same but i decrease fat in take. On low carb days increase fat in take which will be about 40% of my in take.

The refeed stops the negative effects that come with low carbs like low energy and more more importantly stops the metabolism from crashing out. Low carbs all of the time can cause metabolic damage which means a persons ability to burn fat or grown muscle can be seriously effected.

The body will do everything it can to prevent fat loss as fat is an energy source we use for survival. So to keep fat loss ongoing we have to trick the body into thinking there is still plenty of food around.

I do a refeed every saturday as that is my hardest training day, but if i am due for a reward/cheat meal that week then i will factor that into my refeed.

MemberMember
(@steamroom)

Posted : 02/03/2013 10:32 pm

Yeah I understand. I train everyday, and I have a pretty strict diet to maintain my single digit body fat. But recently, I have noticed that my acne is not flaring up and I am not breaking out when I am eating sweets. By sweets, I mean high quality pastries or tarts - 2 per day at most, and definitely not every day! I don't plan on trying to eat ice cream or anything of that sort.

I also purchased a juice extractor. You basically toss a bunch of veggies (broccoli, kale, spinach, tomato, cucumber, etc) and it extracts the liquid portion for drinking. I have 2-3 glasses daily, very healthy. But you are missing out on the fiber. Give that a try, but it is a pain to clean and it can get costly when you're wasting so many veggies to get the juice.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/04/2013 11:00 am

I also purchased a juice extractor. You basically toss a bunch of veggies (broccoli, kale, spinach, tomato, cucumber, etc) and it extracts the liquid portion for drinking. I have 2-3 glasses daily, very healthy. But you are missing out on the fiber. Give that a try, but it is a pain to clean and it can get costly when you're wasting so many veggies to get the juice.

So don't juice. Blend. Make smoothies.

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 02/04/2013 11:27 am

Orange juice celery and cucumbers mix in the blender with 5 drops of lemon yum yum