Notifications
Clear all

What Are The Main Causes Of Acne?

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/24/2013 12:00 am

There are a lot of causes that have been proven (?) or are extremely likely that do cause acne from the inside, and I was just wondering if someone here who really knows there stuff could make a list of these and write out ways to find out if that's the cause of your acne.

I know a few causes such as Hormones, candida and etc. It'd be really helpful not only to me, but to others I'm sure if someone could make a list like that.

For eg; for hormones, who would you see, how do you find out if it's causing your acne or not?

MemberMember
(@sweetkenzie)

Posted : 01/24/2013 1:41 am

I'm by no means an expert, but I know you can have your hormones tested. And that high testosterone can cause acne. From my own research I've concluded

Hormones (which can trigger skin to produce more oil)

Oil ( which can harden inside pores)

Bacteria ( which causes infected, inflamed acne)

Dead skin not being sloughed off fast enough or a slow cell turnover rate ( dead skin can also become trapped in pores)

Diet ( high sugar can mess with insulin levels which is connected to hormones, food allergies can surface as acne, hormones in animal products can affect our own hormones)

Certain products( I.e. cosmetic acne)

Pores being not shaped correctly( forcing them to trap oil, and dead skin cells inside)

That's all I can think of at the moment, but the type of acne you have can sometimes give you a clue to what is causing it. For example hormonal acne in women is usually in the chin and jawline and occurs as cysts, where as slow cell turnover rate usually surface as black heads and closed comedones. As always the same rules don't apply to everyone, but Atleast this can give people a starting point. Like, if your acne is mostly inflamed and infected then your best bet is usually BP and antibiotics. But if hot concern is comedones acne and blackheads than a well formulated bha, or retin a is a better option.

Also, a good way to find out if your acne is caused by food, or cosmetics, is to keep a lot of what you eat, what your put on your skin and your skins condition. If you have a break very shortly after eating a certain thing or using something and it happens repeatedly, than thats probably your culprit. You can also be tested for food allergies.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/24/2013 2:21 am

I'm by no means an expert, but I know you can have your hormones tested. And that high testosterone can cause acne. From my own research I've concluded

Dead skin not being sloughed off fast enough or a slow cell turnover rate ( dead skin can also become trapped in pores)

Diet ( high sugar can mess with insulin levels which is connected to hormones, food allergies can surface as acne, hormones in animal products can affect our own hormones)

Pores being not shaped correctly( forcing them to trap oil, and dead skin cells inside)

That's all I can think of at the moment, but the type of acne you have can sometimes give you a clue to what is causing it. For example hormonal acne in women is usually in the chin and jawline and occurs as cysts, where as slow cell turnover rate usually surface as black heads and closed comedones. As always the same rules don't apply to everyone, but Atleast this can give people a starting point. Like, if your acne is mostly inflamed and infected then your best bet is usually BP and antibiotics. But if hot concern is comedones acne and blackheads than a well formulated bha, or retin a is a better option.

Also, a good way to find out if your acne is caused by food, or cosmetics, is to keep a lot of what you eat, what your put on your skin and your skins condition. If you have a break very shortly after eating a certain thing or using something and it happens repeatedly, than thats probably your culprit. You can also be tested for food allergies.

I've been tested for food allergies and i've removed them for almost a month :). Can I ask, can hormonal acne come up anywhere? as in cheeks? How do you get them tested? I'm a guy, so I know certain 'things' may make it worse.

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 01/24/2013 4:34 am

There are a lot of causes that have been proven (?) or are extremely likely that do cause acne from the inside, and I was just wondering if someone here who really knows there stuff could make a list of these and write out ways to find out if that's the cause of your acne.

I know a few causes such as Hormones, candida and etc. It'd be really helpful not only to me, but to others I'm sure if someone could make a list like that.

For eg; for hormones, who would you see, how do you find out if it's causing your acne or not?

good post,not many members consider that something is causing their acne and prefer cure to prevention "give me a strong dose of acctuane"

so you will have your work cut out here,most think they're spot prone,the same as accident prone,

I thought like you and found my poison which caused repeated cystic spots,

after suffering week in week out from 15 to 25,I have now been virtually spot free for 30 years

good post,not many members consider that something is causing their acne and prefer cure to prevention "give me a strong dose of acctuane"

so you will have your work cut out here,most think they're spot prone,the same as accident prone,

I thought like you and found my poison which caused repeated cystic spots,

after suffering week in week out from 15 to 25,I have now been virtually spot free for 30 years

MemberMember
(@sweetkenzie)

Posted : 01/25/2013 12:21 pm

@jekester if you are referring to sex, or other thing related to sex, no it DOES NOT cause acne. That's a myth. So feel free lol. You can have your hormones tested at your doctors, along with blood work and allergens. Also, if you have a hormone imbalance they're ate typically other symptoms. And hormonal acne is different in men than women.

@jekester if you are referring to sex, or other thing related to sex, no it DOES NOT cause acne. That's a myth. So feel free lol. You can have your hormones tested at your doctors, and if not they can refer you. Also, if you have a hormone imbalance they're are typically other symptoms. Yes I am sure it can occur in your cheeks.