Notifications
Clear all

Coming Off Dianette! Help!

MemberMember
(@sarah85)

Posted : 01/22/2013 12:01 pm

Hi,

I am hoping somebody out there can help me. I have suffered with acne since I was about 15- always on my face. I tried every cream, lotion, antibiotics out there and nothing worked. Eventually at 23 my GP prescribed Dianette and my skin was amazing within a couple of months. I took Dianette for nearly 3.5 years until I decided to stop it in August 2012. My reason for this was because I felt dizzy during the time I had been on Dianette, had occasional pins and needles, and episode of collaspe (? due to dianette) and 2 episodes of short lived hemianopia!! Since coming of Dianette I've felt lots better in myself, I very rarely get dizzy but in the pasy month my skin has gotten awful again. Right now I can feel the burning of my face and it's ruining my life all over again :(. I feel embarrased in work, it's painful, I am scaared to do sport or go out with friends.........

I really don't want to go back on Dianette but I have a few boxes here ready- does anyone know if I caan start taking them again just on any random day?? I had my last period last week (only the second in 6 months) and I know you are meant to start it on the day of blleding but it could be months again till that next happens!! Has aanyone tried just taking dianette say for a month or two per year??

I find my acne was always at its worst in winter- dec/jan/feb usually.

The onyl other thing ive not tried is accutane- heard some differing opions on this- anyone got any thoughts??

Any ideas or thoughts please!!! I really am scared thaat my acne is going to get reaally bad like it used to be and i cant bear that. I reaally hoped that by 28 it might be ok :(

MemberMember
(@laurenholt)

Posted : 01/22/2013 1:28 pm

That's a shame because I loved Dianette so much! Did nothing for my skin, but I used it for contraception, menstrual regularity etc. In fact, I loved it so much when the docotr said "you can come off it" I chose not too!

Accutane... is not something to be taken lightly. In my 4 years experience with acne, I have always felt that for us sufferers, it's like the finish line... But the side effects are big, and very dangerous if you get them. But my friend was on it... His face is flawless and he got no problems. To get accutane you have to be referred for it, in the UK you cannot jusyt go to your GP for it. I've been referred for it about 2 months ago, and I still have to wait 2 months to get it. It's a big deal.

I know I haven't asnwered any of your questions but I hope I helped in some way.

MemberMember
(@ellie93)

Posted : 01/22/2013 1:40 pm

I was on Dianette and it didn't help my skin at all, but I have been on accutane.

I'm not sure where you're living, but like LaurenHolt above has mentioned, it is very difficult to get in the UK. Your GP might not even agree to refer you to a dermatologist. However, if you are offered accutane it is still a big decision. From my experience, I didn't get any serious side effects, just some dry skin, nose bleeds etc, but other people have had quite serious effects from it. My derm only allowed me to take it because I was still living at home and so my parents could keep an eye on me. Within 5 months my skin was basically clear, and by the 6 month it was perfect. I was sooo happy, but when I came off the accutane my acne returned within 3 months.

That's also something to think about, as although some people stay clear forever, if you're like me then 6 months of accutane is a lot to go through for just a couple of months of clear skin.

Have you thought about the acne.org regimen? I have been on this for less than a month and already my skin is the best it has been in aaaaages! I would recommend trying the regimen, and then if that doesn't work for you then consider the accutane.

Good luck with whatever you try :)

MemberMember
(@rjt623)

Posted : 01/22/2013 1:45 pm

I always thought that you had to start taking the pill the Sunday after you start your period, and I always did. But then, after I had my second son, my OBGYN told me that I could start it anytime...because you don't get your period for like 6-8 weeks after having a baby. So I did that and had no problems. I'm not a doctor and not an expert, but that's what I did and it worked fine.

My acne is always worse in the winter too. My normally all over oily skin goes haywire and becomes dry in some spots, flaky in others, but still overall oily. And I get horrible chin breakouts. Argh! After doing lots of research, I've learned that it may have something to do with not getting enough Vitamin D. Specifically, D3. So I may start taking supplements.

I agree that Accutane is a last resort...seems so scary! My boss is in her 40's and went on Accutane after years ot struggling with acne, she tried everything, like most of us. She decided to try it - it was tough at first, she did experience some of the side effects, but nothing major, and now her skin looks amazing. She's just fearful that it's short-term...she doesn't want to go through with it again...

Not sure if this was any help, but thank you for sharing your story.

MemberMember
(@sarah85)

Posted : 01/22/2013 2:50 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies, all very helpful :)

I have seen a few dermatologists over the years and was offered Accutane just before I began dianette. I was a bit worried about it at the time as I felt quite low anyway due to the chronic-ness of the acne. T5hats when I suggested dianette and they agreed to let me try that firsst. I'm not sure that my skin is bad enough at the moment that they would let me go on it just now- but I can feel more and more spots everyday at the moment.

I didn't realise that the effects are only temporary for some people, I always thought it was a tough one off treatment but then that was that. Good to know thats not the case.

RJT623 I began on vitamin d supplements last wednesday cos I read that it may be to do with that. I have once with magnesium and zinc as they say you need that to help it absorb. So far no difference but I will let you know if it is working.

MemberMember
(@rjt623)

Posted : 01/22/2013 3:23 pm

That's good to know...I'm already taking a combo B supplement that has extra zinc, magnesium, and C in it. I'm going to add the D3 as soon as I can get to the store :) Definitely let me know if you find that it helps or not.

It's so hard, but I know that the key is to be patient...whether it's a new skincare regimen, dietary changes, taking supplements...nothing happens overnight. Thought that's we hope for, isn't it?

MemberMember
(@laurenholt)

Posted : 01/22/2013 4:11 pm

Inall honesty, my skin isn't absolutely bombarded with spots. Yes, it is considered acne, but I'm allowed to go accutane because my spots cause permanent scars, even if I don't pick them. Because of this, I need to stop the spots in order for my skin to actually have a chance to repair itself!