Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide Vs. Salicylic Acid

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 01/22/2013 11:09 am

I have been using Benzoyl Peroxide for around a year now and ever since, my face has been red. I tried lowering the concentration but that didn't do much. I was thinking of switching to Neutrogena's Oil-Free Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment. Has anyone tried this before? Would this be a safe switch?

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 01/26/2013 10:22 pm

Anything? Nothing? Okay!rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 01/27/2013 1:57 pm

Maybe if you copy and paste the ingredients more will respond.

If the active product is salicylic acid, it is probably no more than 2% with a 4.0% pH, which is not enough to do much good for acne. You need to go online or make your own salicylic acid lotions in order to find a solution that is effective. There is a thread around here about OTC salicylic acid products and I will try to locate it for you.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 01/27/2013 2:14 pm

Maybe if you copy and paste the ingredients more will respond.

If the active product is salicylic acid, it is probably no more than 2% with a 4.0% pH, which is not enough to do much good for acne. You need to go online or make your own salicylic acid lotions in order to find a solution that is effective. There is a thread around here about OTC salicylic acid products and I will try to locate it for you.

Here's the thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/320308-clearasil-ultra-line-of-2-salicylic-acid-leave-ons/

Although it isn't about the exact product you are inquiring about, it is informative about OTC salicylic acid products.

MemberMember
(@forquestions)

Posted : 02/05/2013 1:09 am

Well keep in mind even in low percentages it's a very harsh chemical.

Personally I'd suggest you stay away from both chemicals if possible.

MemberMember
(@callendula)

Posted : 02/05/2013 7:57 pm

Hi! I have used this. Not very long..probably a month or less. I like it fine and it didn't break me out. I was having some issues with retinol continually making me have spots and someone suggested to stop retinol and use SA to clear out my pores first before using the retinol because the retinol was irritating and likely causing my blocked pores to inflame and become infected. I just grabbed an OTC to use while I waited for my skin to calm down a bit. This did not break me out and felt nice on my skin.

I recently used a pH strip on it and it came out somewhere between 4-5. It is 2% SA, but like another poster said, the pH is too high for it to effectively exfoliate.

Sorry to hear the BP has caused redness. I was using a 10% cream mixed with a glycerin and water moisturizer but after a while even that dried me out. I switched to Oxy Clinical clearing treatment 5%--it is time released if I understand it correctly. I haven't seen any dryness or redness from it and I don't dilute that. Anyhow, the pH of it is about 5 or 5-6 from my test strips. Your face may need a break, and then maybe you can go back, if you want. I stopped using my BP every day and now just every now and then.

As far as a SA, I just ordered and have been using for about a week or two a product called exfol serum. It is made by skin biology (or on Diana Yvonne's website). It was recommended by another member. I decided to go with the 2% at 3.2pH to start out. They also offer pHs of 1.9 and concentrations of 5%. I wanted to work my way up first. So far, I like it and haven't noticed any crazy drying or peeling. In fact I saw more peeling from neutrogena's retinol SA intense wrinkle treatment. lol I make sure to get my skin close to 5.5 before applying. Otherwise, too high a ph will cause the acid to lose it's effectiveness. Right now I am using dilute ACV after washing (cause my cleanser is at a 7), letting that dry and applying the SA. Hope that helps!

I might also add that while using this exfol serum for the little time i have, I am getting plugs coming to the surface. While I am happy to be clearing my pores, some have become inflamed/infected. I wish this would just dissolve them like ASAP and be done with it, rather than just push them out. I'm going to stick with it and see what happens. I've added some glycolic acid cream to help help exfoliate and keep the openings clear to minimize (hopefully) breakouts. That is why I'm still using the BP at times. lol

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 02/12/2013 11:23 am

Salicylic acid only works on my body and doesn't do too much for my face. I've found Benzoyl Peroxide works much better on my face.