Notifications
Clear all

Help! Desperate For Advice (Pic Attached)

MemberMember
(@jonquil)

Posted : 01/22/2013 8:10 am

Hello. This is my first time on Accutane and I'm about to finish week 4. I'm currently on a 30mg/day dosage.

I think I'm experiencing the IB phase, and this is the worst my skin has ever looked ... I am so frustrated and depressed, I would really appreciate some advice regarding the following problems:

1. I have a lot of huge (cystic?) acne on my chin/jaw area. A few of them have been around since week 2... I know Accutane pushes out the acne and it should eventually clear up, but I was wondering if it's okay to get steroid shots or should I just give it more time?

2.I have a LOT of whiteheads on my cheeks/chin since week 2. They are SO visible it makes me very self-conscious. (Click here for the pic). My skin is also peeling a bit, my face feels like sandpaper sad.png I want to pick them out so it won't look gross but they might leave scars... I don't know what to do, please, anyone give me some tips!!

MemberMember
(@acneguitarist)

Posted : 01/22/2013 6:05 pm

I'm on week 2 and my chin looks about the same as yours. First, don't worry, it doesn't look that gross! One thing I've learned is that most people don't pay as much attention to your acne as you do. Also, I wouldn't recommend popping, my derm said that your skin will be too fragile and it's not a good idea.

For me, if I leave them alone they seem to flake off, especially when I wash my face. Ill admit though I did squeeze some pus out of one. Just be careful, don't use your finger nails, if you can dont touch them!

Also my skin is really dry and peeling. I'm on 80mg a day though. Hang in there! That's what I'm trying to do. Just imagine how great your skin is gonna be when your done!

MemberMember
(@jonquil)

Posted : 01/23/2013 4:12 am

I'm on week 2 and my chin looks about the same as yours. First, don't worry, it doesn't look that gross! One thing I've learned is that most people don't pay as much attention to your acne as you do. Also, I wouldn't recommend popping, my derm said that your skin will be too fragile and it's not a good idea.

For me, if I leave them alone they seem to flake off, especially when I wash my face. Ill admit though I did squeeze some pus out of one. Just be careful, don't use your finger nails, if you can dont touch them!

Also my skin is really dry and peeling. I'm on 80mg a day though. Hang in there! That's what I'm trying to do. Just imagine how great your skin is gonna be when your done!

Thank you for replying. I've never seen so many whiteheads, it freaked me out.

And my skin is flaking too. Are you using any moisturizers? My dermatologist didn't recommend it for me.

MemberMember
(@acneguitarist)

Posted : 01/23/2013 4:34 am

Yes, you'll need moisturizers! My derm gave me a bunch of samples but I ended up going to an esthetician to get some stuff. It's really expensive, but dermalogca protective barrier booster (something like that) is really good! Also euracin has been working well. Hopefully our whiteheads will go away as the accutane does its work.

MemberMember
(@afwestberry)

Posted : 01/23/2013 2:19 pm

As far as moisturizers go, my dermatologist recommended I use Cetaphil for dry, sensitive skin. I picked it up for $12 at my local Wal Mart, and although I haven't started Accutane yet (my journey begins tomorrow) my skin is very dry naturally & it works awesome! Good luck with Accutane!!