Notifications
Clear all

23/male/mild-Moderate Acne In Uk

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 01/22/2013 5:40 am

Hi all,

I am a 23 year old in the UK starting an isotretinoin course for an acne problem that has plagued me for years.

My acne severity varies wildly & I can be 99% clear one month, but break out awfully the next. I'm lucky enough to not have developed any Cysts but I often have quite a few hard, red nodules.

I have been on every oral antibiotic under the sun. Doxycycline was effective in my teens but practically useless these days. Lymecycline was probably the most effective for me. All of the cycline's gave me no side effects. Erythromycin was useless.

I can also say from my own experience, Benzoyl Peroxide is the best topical by a mile- it can't get to the deeper stuff under the skin, but does wonders for spots nearer the surface of the skin. I've used Quinoderm 5 for a long time. I've had little success with topical retinoids & antibiotics.

My dermatologist has prescribed me a 5-6 month course of 60mg a day. I think this is a little high, at least to begin with, so I'm going with 40mg to start. Being in the UK, I get a 3-month supply for 7.60. I love the NHS. I am 5"11 and 75kg.

Since I've had plenty of experience with most acne products over the years I'd be happy to answer any questions on anything. I'm a patient person and tend to give products a good couple of months before decided if they're useless or not.

Anyway...

Day 1:

Funnily enough nothing is happening yet.

Day 14:

The drug is really kicking in now. I've seen a bit of a flare up but mostly some changes- my skin & lips are now very dry & I haven't seen too many new spots but my existing acne has flared. I think this is probably normal, quite frustrating for the time being, but hoping it will pass soon.

On another note, the amount of pseudo-science on this whole forum is just ridiculous, even for an internet forum. I'm guessing there isn't a lot of moderation. If I read candida one more time my faith in humanity is going to falter.

Day 24:

No massive changes. Very, very few new spots & if they do appear, they're very small. I seem to have the remains of some older & bigger nodules just hanging around & not doing much healing. They're quite red but pretty flat so not too bad, and I think they will eventually go away. Only real side effect is the dry lips still, with small patches of dry skin easily solved with a dab of moisturiser.

For anyone worried about playing sport while on Isotretinoin, I run anywhere from 3-10 miles most days & play a lot of football with no ill effects whatsoever. You do however become ridiculously red, but since you're running about anyway it doesn't look particularly unusual.

Day 32 (probably):

It's a friends' birthday this weekend so been seeing lots of people & going out. I'm actually quite clear at the moment, aside from a few small spots, one of which is right on my lip and although now seems to be dead, has left a massive flaky mess. More frustrating & annoying rather than properly soul-destroying, so it's not so bad I suppose. Hopefully the flakiness will go down a bit before later!

Generally I'm seeing changes quite slowly- or rather it seems slow, but considering I've only been taking the drug just over a month, it's actually been pretty fast. Remnants of a few proper bad-ass nodules from xmas & before still remain but are eventually fading out. It's always a worry that they will suddenly flare up again, but they're doing ok for now.

On the breakout front I only seem to be getting the odd little spot once every 2 or 3 days. Some are under-the-skin and look like they're going to be horrible and scary, but fade away in a couple of days, which is lovely! I haven't had one that's taken more than a few days to go away yet. Absolutely loving Isotretinoin so far- also quite lucky on the side effect front & still only experiencing dry lips and very mildly dry skin. I have a physical job that often means I get a few cuts/grazes/splinters at the end of a shift, and I haven't really noticed skin being any more fragile or longer to heal in general.

On a gross note, I shoved a needle through a big lump under my jaw & it turned out it was quite a sizeable cyst. I actually think it was nothing to do with acne & just a random sebaceous cyst. Anyway, drained all the crap out & now it's nice and flat. Most satisfying thing I've ever done.

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/04/2013 12:28 pm

Day 14:

The drug is really kicking in now. I've seen a bit of a flare up but mostly some changes- my skin & lips are now very dry & I haven't seen too many new spots but my existing acne has flared. I think this is probably normal, quite frustrating for the time being, but hoping it will pass soon.

On another note, the amount of pseudo-science on this whole forum is just ridiculous, even for an internet forum. I'm guessing there isn't a lot of moderation. If I read candida one more time my faith in humanity is going to falter.

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 02/04/2013 2:53 pm

I agree with all the science. Lol.

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 02/04/2013 3:02 pm

Hey. Fellow UKer :)

I'm one day ahead of you. My log is around somewhere (named Journey to clear skin). Be cool to chat and compare throughout this. Oh, and I definitely agree with you about the pseudoscience. I pay no attention lol.

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/04/2013 4:59 pm

Hey. Fellow UKer smile.png

I'm one day ahead of you. My log is around somewhere (named Journey to clear skin). Be cool to chat and compare throughout this. Oh, and I definitely agree with you about the pseudoscience. I pay no attention lol.

Hello :) I'm amazed by the amount of people that actually view these logs- mine was up to 771 last time I checked! So worth keeping.

I've had a look at yours & it is probably as bad as my acne was a couple of months ago (I tend to get ridiculous breakouts from time to time rather than constant acne) & know exactly how crappy it feels. I don't think I'm feeling the side effects as much as you though- I'm just experiencing the lip & skin dryness and a bit of a flare up.

I've pretty much stopped posting apart from here because of the amount of people who believe they know better than a Dermatologist. I'm sure someone will eventually tell me how I should ditch the drugs and instead cut wheat, corn, meat, vegetables, sugar, coffee, water & air from my diet & that my acne is caused by leaky gut syndrome & to go see a homeopath.

To add to the log, I've just ordered some Cetaphil moisturiser (may not need it, but thought may as well) & aquaphor as vaseline isn't quite up to the job for my lips at the moment.

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 02/08/2013 4:26 am

How you doing?

LOL completely agree with you about the food stuff etc. They are obsessed. I roll my eyes to be honest. Though do wonder if them not having free health care contributes to it- not having the money to spend each month if insurance doesn't cover it, so explores every other possible avenue, as don't see any UKers speak about it.

& is the Aqauphor working? I'm getting some from Boots today.

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/08/2013 2:29 pm

Not too bad- everywhere except my chin seems to be clearing up pretty well at the moment & I haven't broken out in the last week or so but dealing with a few big spots that are just lingering around. How about you?

Yeah I suppose if you couldn't afford proper healthcare then you'd need to pursue something else. Also Brits tend to be skeptics & pessimists :)

I think Aquaphor is a bit better than Vaseline but seems rather expensive for what it is. It's quite hard to suppress the natural desire to lick my lips, but as long as I manage that for the most part the lip dryness isn't much of a problem.

The Cetaphil moisturiser is pretty good too, but I only get very mild patches of dryness/flaking so I hardly give it a test. I thought it was quite expensive but the tub is massive.

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 02/09/2013 9:15 am

Pleased things are heading in the right direction for you :) My skin is fairly good at the moment, still breaking out but they are small and have been and gone in a day which never happened before & my make up covers them well so I'm happy. I bought Aquaphor yesterday and really like it. Hope those two products suit you throughout the course- are expensive the products, especially as it's a case of trial and error!

When's your next Derm appointment?

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/09/2013 10:15 am

Glad things also seem good for you so far.

I don't have an appointment until March- I think it's the only one throughout the whole course apart from the start! (and possibly end). Do you see yours more regularly?

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 02/09/2013 10:51 am

Oh really? Have you been given the whole amount then? I have to go every month for blood test and for a new prescription, as only get given a months worth at a time. Might be different for women, because of pregnancy, but in the booklet I was given it stated it for both male and females having monthly appointments, as its also to review the dosage.

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/10/2013 5:05 am

I don't have the whole amount, but she gave me 3 months' worth until I see her again. Tbh she was pretty much like 'well clearly you're only here to get some Isotretinoin so here you go', so probably isn't the most caring of dermatologists but I don't really care if she gives me lots of drugs :)

I also don't live very close to her most of the time (I go to uni in Cardiff & the Derm is in Gloucestershire ~60 miles away) so it saves me trips back every month.

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/14/2013 5:25 pm

I'm gonna whack everything on the first post.. easier that way!

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 02/14/2013 5:57 pm

Good plan!

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 02/20/2013 6:04 am

Hey, how you getting on?

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/20/2013 8:11 am

The same really, changes seem to be very slow at the moment. I'm still getting hardly anything new & I have one particularly annoying spot that's been there for months & refuses to go away! (not even sure if it is a spot..!) but others are very slowly fading away it seems.

The side effects are the same and don't seem to be getting any worse.

How about your lovely self? All good so far?

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 02/20/2013 3:39 pm

Pleased things are good with you. Is frustrating it takes so long to start seeing it working its magic, especially when we have side effects from the tablets.

Yes, all good thank you :)

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/23/2013 4:18 am

Decided to update!

Day 32 (probably):

It's a friends' birthday this weekend so been seeing lots of people & going out. I'm actually quite clear at the moment, aside from a few small spots, one of which is right on my lip and although now seems to be dead, has left a massive flaky mess. More frustrating & annoying rather than properly soul-destroying, so it's not so bad I suppose. Hopefully the flakiness will go down a bit before later!

Generally I'm seeing changes quite slowly- or rather it seems slow, but considering I've only been taking the drug just over a month, it's actually been pretty fast. Remnants of a few proper bad-ass nodules from xmas & before still remain but are eventually fading out. It's always a worry that they will suddenly flare up again, but they're doing ok for now.

On the breakout front I only seem to be getting the odd little spot once every 2 or 3 days. Some are under-the-skin and look like they're going to be horrible and scary, but fade away in a couple of days, which is lovely! I haven't had one that's taken more than a few days to go away yet. Absolutely loving Isotretinoin so far- also quite lucky on the side effect front & still only experiencing dry lips and very mildly dry skin. I have a physical job that often means I get a few cuts/grazes/splinters at the end of a shift, and I haven't really noticed skin being any more fragile or longer to heal in general.

On a gross note, I shoved a needle through a big lump under my jaw & it turned out it was quite a sizeable cyst. I actually think it was nothing to do with acne & just a random sebaceous cyst. Anyway, drained all the crap out & now it's nice and flat. Most satisfying thing I've ever done.

Also I was going to put up so progress pictures but can't find a proper "before" picture... Might just have to make do with afters.

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 02/25/2013 3:38 am

Great things are heading in the right direction for you :) funny you should say that about healing time, as I've noticed mine isn't slower, and if anything, is quicker. Pleased your side effects are still minimal too.

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/25/2013 2:02 pm

For me, any new spots I get are healing much quicker at the moment. I think it's because they're less severe than before & closer to the surface, so the damage isn't quite as collateral. Redness tends to hang around but I'm not overly bothered about that.

I think I possibly have zero active spots at the mo.. apart from one on my jaw that's been there for months & I think is actually just a scar that never seems to be completely dead. I'm going to have a little party on my own when that one finally disappears :)

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 03/01/2013 9:33 am

How you getting on? You had your party for one yet?!

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 03/02/2013 7:51 pm

Haha not yet! Although it randomly started bleeding a few days ago & has now scabbed over. It doesn't behave like acne or even an infection at all so I'll probs ask the Derm about it in a few weeks. Maybe it's actually healing up, in which case I better get the vino ready :)

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 03/03/2013 2:41 pm

Fingers crossed it is healing then. I'll join you in a glass of vino..as long as it is a decent white! Lol. Ooo rebels we are drinking whilst on the tablets ;)

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 03/03/2013 4:21 pm

I've drank on a few weekends but don't tend to get ridiculously drunk so I think it's probably ok... Haven't turned jaundice yet :)

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 03/03/2013 4:37 pm

Well that's you and me both. Drink wine 1-2 x each week when I have company. Probably works out to 1.5 bottles in total per week.

Note: Please no one come and preach that I/we are damaging our bodies and about to drop dead, as it will go in one ear and out the other. I listen to just my Derm (and my blood results!) No one else that's not medically qualified ;)

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 03/07/2013 6:36 pm

Yeah my liver loves the workout. Everyone knows that drinking makes it stronger.