Notifications
Clear all

Acne And Dry Skin

MemberMember
(@msb)

Posted : 01/21/2013 11:29 pm

Since suffering from worsening acne since I was in my late 20s, I think I have figured out the major cause of my problem. I have severe dry skin because of a genetic skin disorder called icthyosis vulgaris that prevents me from effectively shedding dead skin. I am sure my acne is hormonally triggered but the dry skin prevents my skin from breathing and leads to blocked pores and inflamed cysts, especially around my cheeks. I was able to reduce my acne in my late 20s with good moisturizing and AHAs. But with aging, I haven't been able to find a good enough moisturizer to keep up with even worsening dry skin.

I recently read up on Dan's regimen when I was on vacation and bought a neutrogena line that approximates the routine, to start with until I can order the real stuff. I started the routine while I spent 2 weeks in humid south east Asia and had no cysts at all. My skin was supple and clear. I did get some pimples around my menstrual cycle, but they cleared up much faster than normal. Since I have been back, the cysts have reappeared on my cheeks. I am totally convinced that moisture is what I need most of all.

Short of moving to SE asia, how can I approximate the constant moisture. My Cerave and neutrogena moisturizers don't work, even with the jojoba. I have put a humidifier in my room so I hope that helps. I will order some of Dan's stuff once my budget recovers from my trip, but I think I will need a way stronger moisturizer. Any suggestions?

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 01/21/2013 11:46 pm

I don't think Dan's moisturizer is going to be any better than Cerave in terms of moisture. I would suggest shea butter, 100% unrefined. It is a bit greasy to the feel, but it won't break you out.

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 01/22/2013 6:23 am

I think it could be treated with Isotretinoin- but I'm no expert, and it might be that it is only effective for rarer forms of the condition:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0190962282700623

MemberMember
(@msb)

Posted : 05/20/2013 10:45 pm

So I have been using Dans BP for over 4 months and my cystic acne is gone. I still get an occassional pimple-maybe 3-4 per month but they erupt and clear up in a few days. I get them usually if I get lazy and don't do the routine every.single. night.

I went out of town for 3 days and couldn't pack my tube of BP in my bag so I came back with 2 pimples. I am going to order a travel size right now.

I have managed the flakiness by mixing in amlactin with Dans lotion at night. I do use a wash rag to exfoliate in the morning because my skin doesn't naturally self-exfoliate. I also have been applying gobs of moisturizer in the morning and lettting it sink in.

MemberMember
(@msb)

Posted : 06/29/2013 11:21 pm

I have changed my regime slightly (see signature line) and just use one pump of Dans BP in the morning and none at night. I don't notice any change wrt to acne (still 99.9% clear) but I do have far less drying/wrinkly appearance. Also, the heavy moisturizing at night seems to combat the drying and peeling perfectly. In fact, my skin seems far less dry than ever. I don't even need to put moisturizer on right away after washing. No tightness or ashiness.

MemberMember
(@simo1)

Posted : 07/19/2013 3:10 pm

I love jojoba Oil . Just mix a few drops in your moisturizer. Never caused me to break out.