Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin D Has Cured Me Of Oily Skin And Acne

MemberMember
(@sebumsucks)

Posted : 01/21/2013 6:10 pm

I registered today just to tell my story that I feel compelled to share with others.

After 22 years of suffering from extremely oily skin and acne I have finally found what I believe is my own personal cure. It's been a very long road to get here and I still can't quite believe it, but Vitamin D supplements have COMPLETELY eliminated my super oily skin and acne. I'm not talking a little bit here, not a 50% or even 90% reduction. I'm talking 100%. I still can't get over it having suffered for so long.

I know some of you aren't going to believe what I just said or what I am about to explain. I would have my doubts too if I were reading this just a few months ago, but I am 100% telling the truth of my own personal experience. So here I go...

I am a male, now in my late 30's and have suffered with excessively oily skin (way way way too much sebum) and severe acne since puberty around 14yo. I have taken EVERYTHING over the years. This gets said a lot around here by 16-18 year old acne sufferers, and I can certainly sympathize, but trust me when I say I have had over 20 years of experience trying EVERYTHING from prescription meds to over the counter topicals to various supplements. I have tried every systemic and topical antibiotic prescription known for acne. I have tried every topical retinoid. I have been on 3 courses of Accutane. I have been on doctor prescribed very high doses of Vitamin A (a safe aqueous form) after my 1st course of accutane when my acne flared back up after treatment. I have tried and used many of the over the counter washes, scrubs, masks with BP, salicylic acid, tee tree, etc. over the years. Fed up with prescription meds that never fully worked (or in the case of Accutane worked only while on them), over the last few years I have also tried various supplements, including fish oil, cod liver oil, B5, vitamin B multivitamins, antioxidant multivitamins, borage oil, and others.

About 4 weeks ago I began supplementing with Vitamin D3 1000IU. Why? Well a year ago I got a blood test done showing my Vitamin D level was low. It was a 19 which is considered quite deficient (normal I think is 50-70; reference values have been upped recently). At the time my doctor prescribed Vitamin D over a 3 month period but at the time I saw no results so stopped after 2 months (this was to try resolving fatigue not acne anyway). But this winter I started reading up on Vitamin D again as my fatigue was increasing again and came to find out that the Vitamin D that is prescribed via a pharmacy is of the D2 form which some studies have now shown is ineffective in vivo. So I decided to start taking over the counter Vitamin D (in the D3 form), like I said about 4 weeks ago. Again, the intent was to possibly help with fatigue and perhaps immune support, not necessarily help with my oily skin or acne. But to my amazement, about one week in I began to see significant reduction in sebum on my skin. By week two my skin had become COMPLETELY normalized. I can't even believe I am saying that after so many years of super oily skin. The only medication capable of doing that for me is Accutane (isotretinoin). Nothing else could reduce or control sebum production for me. Not prescriptions or supplements of any kind, even B5. Remember I'm a male, so there is no other option other than Accutane for us males like BC or Spiro to try and normalize hormones/oily skin.

After taking Vitamin D for 4 weeks now my skin is tighter, smoother, looks normal, and I haven't had a new pimple of any kind surface in 2 weeks which for me is nothing short of a miracle. Most amazingly is my oily skin is completely gone and hence why I'm confident this is going to work long term for me. In fact the results, both sebum and acne elimination, are just as good if not better than Accutane (Accutane can be super drying in normal doses and can affect wound healing).

I was going to wait 3-6 months to tell my story because I know there will be naysayers that say 4 weeks isn't long enough to judge long term efficiency, or maybe this is just an anomaly, or something like that. But after 22 years I have more than enough experience with my oily skin and acne to know that this is a fundamental change in my skin that I have never seen before (other than again with Accutane usage). So I just couldn't wait that long to post. I felt compelled to do so today in the hopes that my experience might help some others right now, not months from now.

So anyway, completely amazed by this result I have experienced with Vit D I have been doing quite a bit of research online about it and the more I research the more things make sense of how this is affecting my skin. Vitamin D is actually a hormone and was mislabeled a long time ago as a vitamin because at the time researches didn't realize the body (skin) can actually produce vitamin D. In a strict sense, vitamins must be supplied by diet, while hormones are produced in the body. Now, we all know acne is a result of what is most likely an imbalance of hormones in the body. This is why it is very rare for pre-pubescents to have acne, their pubertal hormones haven't kicked in yet which is when most acne first appears.

"Vitamin" D, being a HORMONE needed in vital bodily functions, can be one of those hormones that is deficient. Vitamin D is produced via UV light action on the skin. In fact, it is produced in the oily cells (sebocytes) in the skin. Interesting but slight gross side note - I read somewhere that dogs and cats actually get their Vitamin D intake from licking the sebum on their face and hair follicles where the vitamin D is created huh.png (their skin cannot directly absorb the vitamin D through the skin). Apparently (and luckily for most humans) human skin can directly absorb vitamin D on the skin smile.png.

So I've been pondering, perhaps very oily skin (and associated acne) is a negative feedback of low vitamin D levels in the body. With lower and lower Vitamin D in the body, the skin produces more and more sebum in efforts to create more Vitamin D to bring the body in balance. Perhaps those like myself who have consistently super oily skin have an impairment in the ability to create or absorb Vitamin D in the skin. (I don't really see a reduction in oil during the summer when I get a fair amount of sun). For me, perhaps the only way to increase my vitamin D levels is not through sun exposure but through supplementation. There are very few sources of foods with sufficient levels of vitamin D so the only way to get it in sufficient amounts is through vitamin supplements.

In my research I also found out that Vitamin D will bind to some of the same skin cell receptors as certain forms of Retinoic Acid (one of the metabolites of Accutane). I believe this is likely why Accutane works in a similar fashion (normalizes sebum production) by binding to the same Vitamin D and related receptors in the skin. Now this is my own hypothesis here, but perhaps when those receptors have vitamin D or retinoic acid bound to them, they in essence tell the skin they have enough Vitamin D and not to produce any more sebum. Perhaps Accutane works by substituting for and mimicking Vitamin D in the skin . This could possibly explain some of the side affects of Accutane like bone and joint pain which can be a symptom of Vitamin D deficiency (accutane thereby exacerbating the Vit D deficiency). I could go on about this but this is getting a bit tangential to the subject.

Anyways, I am completely beside myself that Vitamin D has worked better than anything else out there, and that I have suffered with acne for so long due to what appears to be a simple Vit D deficiency. I really implore others to try this too. It is cheap and easy to do with no side effects. The amount I am taking is 1000IU and is considered a relatively low and completely safe dose. I am not going to state this is the cure for everyone as I am a case study of one right now (although I have read here and on other websites others having great results with Vit D as well). But if you have very oily skin, especially into adulthood, I would give vitamin D3 a try.

Not that I think it matters, but in light of full disclosure, I am taking "Natures Made" Vitamin D(3) 1000IU tablets once a day. I don't think the brand will matter so much, just make sure it is Vitamin D3 and not D2. I am also taking Safeway brand Vitamin C 500mg tablets at the same time (this is your generic ascorbic acid Vit C). Note these are run of the mill vitamin brands, not anything special. It's possible the Vitamin C is adding a synergistic affect to the Vit D; I really don't know. But I do know Vitamin C alone hasn't done squat for me over the years that I have taken it so Vitamin C alone isn't causing the amazing results I'm seeing. (I am taking Vitamin C for immune support). These are the only two supplements I am currently taking. I have dropped all topicals other than washing my face in the morning and night and have just begun moisturizing at night with Aloe Vera Gel.

I'm hoping others will try this as perhaps this might be the solution for them as well. I'd be more than happy to answer anyone's questions.

Possum1984, Mhatsune29, Turko and 29 people liked
MemberMember
(@annunaki)

Posted : 01/21/2013 7:42 pm

I recently started taking 5000IU of vitamin d everyday, I figure that we create 10,000 plus after only a few minutes in the sun and I have already noticed a dramatic decrease in the amount of oil on my face. Normally I would need a Squeegee to wipe all the sebum off my face. you have a very interesting theory (the one about the body creating sebum to compensate for lack of vit d). you should create a thread for individuals to try vit d supplementation and report their success rate to give this idea more merit.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 01/21/2013 8:40 pm

For those of you in wintery climates currently, if you can find a window in your house that allows sunlight in at a given point during the day, you might stay in front of it with as much skin exposed as possible. 15-30 minutes and you will be set on natural vitamin D for the day

Edit: ^This is not actually the case due to the glass blocking UVB. My bad

MemberMember
(@sebumsucks)

Posted : 01/21/2013 9:55 pm

annunaki - Good idea, I might just do that and get a thread going of people who want to try Vitamin D and see if we can figure out what type of folks it might work for best. i.e. males versus females, oily skin versus dry. etc. Because it has eliminated my super oily skin I would think it might be better suited to those who have oily acne prone skin.

onefatalgoose - Unfortunately it's not that simple. First off in the northern latitudes it is impossible for the skin to produce vitamin D in the winter (depends on latitude but generally between Oct. through Mar. in much of North America and Europe). All the UVB is blocked by the atmosphere due to the low angle of the sun. Also especially if you are behind a window, even in summer, that would block UVB so your skin would not be able to produce vitamin D sitting behind a window. Only being outdoors in the summer months would allow one's skin to produce Vitamin D. Also, for us oily skin/acne suffers, it must be more complicated than that as plenty of other folks don't have this affliction I surmise it may have something to do with a genetic difference we have where our skin has at least an impairment or perhaps a complete inability to produce and or absorb the vitamin D on our skin during the summer months. So we are left with what we get in a our diet which is woefully insufficient since so few foods naturally have Vitamin D. (Note if it were not for the introduction of some Vitamin D fortified foods, specifically to milk starting in the 1930s, many children today would deficient and would suffer from rickets and other bone ailments.) Due to Vitamin D fortification of Milk rickets has all been eliminated since then. In fact, Vitamin D is so important for the prevention of disease (especially in growing children) that some countries, Canada being one, require by law, that all milk sold be fortified with Vitamin D.

Burger liked
MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/21/2013 10:44 pm

SebumSucks already pointed this out, but vitamin D production is hindered when the light has to pass through glass.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 01/22/2013 3:04 am

Hah! That is really interesting. I believe you both, it's just something that i cannot believe. Did not think glass would/could alter UV rays... or that UVB gets blocked out by the low angle of the sun

I have honestly put zero time into researching this. It seemed like common sense to me that you could achieve the same effect through glass in the winter, however i'm realizing that this is not the case. Thanks for pointing this out

Never too late to learn something new

MemberMember
(@rjt623)

Posted : 01/22/2013 8:14 am

Great post, very interesting. Certainly seems worth a try. I've read elsewhere that vitamin D can be very effective with acne, due to it being a hormone. I hope you maintain your amazing results!

MemberMember
(@sebumsucks)

Posted : 01/25/2013 1:12 am

Just had to come back today and say I still can't get over how great my skin is now and that it isn't even a bit greasy anymore after a whole day. I touch my face a few times a day expecting it to be greasy like it's always been for so many years and yet nothing, my fingers come up dry. Before Vit D I wouldn't last 15-20 minutes before my nose and forehead would get oily. An hour later would be an oil slick already. It's a frickin amazing feeling having normal skin now and I'm not on Accutane, just good old Vitamin D!

Anyways, after reading up more and more about Vitamin D and it's amazing affects on health I decided to start taking 2000IU/day now. I will likely purchase 5000IU capsules soon and move up to 5000IU/day in the near future. From what I've read that is the minimum dosage needed to rectify Vitamin D deficiency. 1000-2000IU is more of a maintenance dose level. Now that Vitamin D is doing incredible things for my skin I want to see if upping the dosage might help my fatigue and also my immune system, issues I've been dealing with as long as acne so thinking it may all be related to my Vitamin D deficiency. I think I am already seeing a slight positive change with fatigue be it is too early to tell at this point.

Anyways, you all have to do research on Vitamin D, we are all pretty much deficient. It is implicated in so many diseases, even if it does work for your skin, it will help your health in numerous other ways. Bar none, it is the number 1 thing you should be supplementing with that will have the most impact on your health. Well before any other vitamin, mineral, omega fatty acids, etc.

If you have 5 minutes check out the video

Then go out and get yourself some Vitamin D!

BTW - If anyone decides to try Vitamin D I encourage you to post here and tell us your results. I, and I am sure others, would be interested to find out if this works as well for other folks too.

Cheers!

MemberMember
(@txngrl)

Posted : 01/28/2013 3:06 pm

Hi... I see it's been a week since you first posted.... is your skin still doing great?

Your post is what got me to run out to the store over the weekend and buy some D3 for my son... your story is very inspirational. However, it almost sounds too good to be true! I realize that one thing may not work for everyone, and I'm really glad you saw results. I hope my son gets some relief too, because he is really suffering (so am I)... and he's only 13. I feel so bad for him, because I know exactly how it feels. I have had acne for most of my life, starting at a very early age (way before puberty).

I have started him on 4000-5000 IU per day. Do you think this is too much at first? I wanted to start aggressively, so we could see improvement ASAP. And I understand that D3 is pretty safe to take in large doses, right?

Any advice/tips you could give would be much appreciated. He hasn't had a blood test, but I would bet that he's Vitamin D deficient (as are most of us). He has very oily skin also, and I'm hoping it will dry that up as well as stop all the bad breakouts. I could deal with a little mild acne... he's 13 after all. But, he gets large cysts, whiteheads, blackheads, plus the oily skin. As soon as I think it looks better, BAM! it gets worse again.... sooooo aggravating.

MemberMember
(@sebumsucks)

Posted : 01/28/2013 11:28 pm

Yup still doing great. Started 5000IU yesterday. I got one very small pimple this morning but I still have a few pores that need to clear completely so I am not concerned at all as skin is still producing very little sebum and overall my skin continues to improve.

I know the whole thing sounds too good to be true. I probably wouldn't believe it myself if it didn't happen to me.

After trying so many things over so many years including all the prescriptions it's really unbelievable that Vitamin D could cause such amazing results. At the same time though it makes sense that something was imbalanced internally that was causing the crazy oily skin and acne; just never though it could be Vitamin D. But once I learned it is actually a pro-hormone then it started making more and more sense.

I was about your son's age when it all first started for me too and it is especially tough to understand what is happening along with all the other puberty stuff at that age. It sounds like his skin was very much like mine. I had everything too, whiteheads, blackheads, papules, pustules, cysts, and horrible on the back and shoulders too. It's one thing to have the occasional teenage pimple, but severe acne hurts tremendously both physically and even more so psychological.

Anyways 4000-5000IU should be safe, especially if he is deficient. I would not have him on this dose long term (more than a few months) without having him tested at some point as too much (like anything) can be a bad thing but it does take a while, even at this dose, to build up in the body. I personally like to start any supplementation at lower doses and build up to higher levels over time in case of an adverse reaction or side effect but that is just me. I saw amazing results at just 1000-2000IU and just upped to 5000IU now to see if it helps with other conditions.

Based on your description of his current state, it is possible he might get a flare up or IB. But if he is seeing his skin get less oily then this is actually a good sign. If it's going to work his skin should be much less oily after a few weeks; just note resolution of all acne may take months longer as the skin rejuvenates and heals. Sort of similar to Accutane. I really hope this works for him too. Please keep us posted on his progress.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/28/2013 11:44 pm

Hey :) just wondering, so you go to a doctor and ask to get your blood tested for vitamin d? is it safe to take vitamin d supplements, cause I'm just wondering how would you know if you aren't over doing it by going into the sun as well?

MemberMember
(@txngrl)

Posted : 01/29/2013 11:24 am

I gave my son 7000 IU yesterday, and today we're going up to about 12,000. My understanding is that our bodies make 10,000 IU from just being in the sun for 15 minutes... most people who go in the sun, are out there longer than 15 minutes, so it's pretty safe at higher levels. And right now, with it being Winter, I know he probably isn't getting enough sunshine, even from playing at school recess (they don't get very much time). I also spoke to my son's dr. yesterday, who said he can take much higher IU than I've been giving him, so she wants me to give him a high dose for about a week, to see if there's improvement. Just since yesterday's dose of 7000, I thought his skin looked better this morning. I really hope I wasn't hallucinating.... haha.

SebumSucks- I'm so encouraged that you're seeing a lot less oil production... that is really what gets to me (besides the bumps of course). My son's skin is SO oily, I'm always reminding him to blot his face during the day. I really believe that his body is producing way way WAY too much sebum. He has so many clogged pores... he also has a history of keratosis pilaris. I believe there is a correlation between that and acne.

Jekester- I think it would be hard to "overdo it" with Vit. D... just from what I've heard and read. It is safe in high doses, it's really a hormone anyway, our bodies need lots of it to be healthy. And in today's culture, with everyone playing video games, working on computers, watching their huge HDTVs, less and less people spend time outdoors anymore. So most of us are deficient in Vit.D3, simply because of our modern lifestyle. But yes, you can request a blood test from your dr. to check your Vit.D level.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/29/2013 8:50 pm

T

I gave my son 7000 IU yesterday, and today we're going up to about 12,000. My understanding is that our bodies make 10,000 IU from just being in the sun for 15 minutes... most people who go in the sun, are out there longer than 15 minutes, so it's pretty safe at higher levels. And right now, with it being Winter, I know he probably isn't getting enough sunshine, even from playing at school recess (they don't get very much time). I also spoke to my son's dr. yesterday, who said he can take much higher IU than I've been giving him, so she wants me to give him a high dose for about a week, to see if there's improvement. Just since yesterday's dose of 7000, I thought his skin looked better this morning. I really hope I wasn't hallucinating.... haha.

SebumSucks- I'm so encouraged that you're seeing a lot less oil production... that is really what gets to me (besides the bumps of course). My son's skin is SO oily, I'm always reminding him to blot his face during the day. I really believe that his body is producing way way WAY too much sebum. He has so many clogged pores... he also has a history of keratosis pilaris. I believe there is a correlation between that and acne.

Jekester- I think it would be hard to "overdo it" with Vit. D... just from what I've heard and read. It is safe in high doses, it's really a hormone anyway, our bodies need lots of it to be healthy. And in today's culture, with everyone playing video games, working on computers, watching their huge HDTVs, less and less people spend time outdoors anymore. So most of us are deficient in Vit.D3, simply because of our modern lifestyle. But yes, you can request a blood test from your dr. to check your Vit.D level.

Thanks for the reply! :) and I got a blood test not to long ago today :). I get results back in on Friday hopefully. And I basically never go out in the sun, I used to when I went to school ( no pimples) but since I dropped out and staying inside A LOT more, I dunno. But yeah.

My doctor said vitamin d doesn't effect acne? ._. is this true guys?

mrsg liked
MemberMember
(@txngrl)

Posted : 01/29/2013 11:18 pm

I don't think that's true. But I'm no dr. I've always heard people say their skin is more clear in the summer, so what's the difference then? More sunshine I guess.

SebumSucks- do you have before & after photos so we can see what Vit. D has done for you?

btw, today I gave my son 10,000 IU and I'm getting a little discouraged. He has taken it now 4 days, and his skin is still just as oily. Am I being too impatient?

MemberMember
(@sebumsucks)

Posted : 01/30/2013 12:02 am

Do you want to believe a doctor who probably has never experienced acne him/her self, or folks who have personal experience for years or decades?

Your doc reminds me of a derm I saw a few years ago. About 3 years ago I went to see a new derm; I picked him because he was voted one of the best where I live (a major metropolitan city). He was like president of the derm association for a number of years or some such and had all the credentials, Ivy League, and was also older, probably in his early 60s (so should have plenty of knowledge and experience treating patients). Anyhow it was fall time, I think October. He proceeds to tell me he gets lots of folks come in for acne in Fall as their acne seems to flare up at that time. Having heard about the benefits of Vit. D at the time (but not very knowledgeable like I am now) I asked him, was it because of the lack of Vitamin D production and he says no because of the lack of UV from the sun.

Now I don't disagree with the notion that UV exposure while sun bathing can irradiate bacteria, included P. acnes, on the skin, but now having experienced what I have by supplementing with Vit. D I know for me (and likely others) it is the increase in Vitamin D production that actually does much more benefit. If only I had followed up myself on Vitamin D at the time and not listened to that derm I would have resolved my acne 3 years earlier and saved myself 3 more years of frustration, no to mention another round of Accutane.

Eyelah, brennaj and XXYY liked
MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 01/30/2013 12:03 am

I don't think that's true. But I'm no dr. I've always heard people say their skin is more clear in the summer, so what's the difference then? More sunshine I guess.

SebumSucks- do you have before & after photos so we can see what Vit. D has done for you?

btw, today I gave my son 10,000 IU and I'm getting a little discouraged. He has taken it now 4 days, and his skin is still just as oily. Am I being too impatient?

Nothing is a miracle cure/overnight cure. Not for anything. Not for cancer, not for acne, etc. Healing is a process and a journey. There are many factors at play, and its integrative. How is your son's diet? Does he have any food allergies? Keep going with the vitamin D3, though....and make sure its D3! DON'T get discouraged, keep up the hope!!! :)

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/30/2013 12:13 am

Do you want to believe a doctor who probably has never experienced acne him/her self, or folks who have personal experience for years or decades?

Your doc reminds me of a derm I saw a few years ago. About 3 years ago I went to see a new derm; I picked him because he was voted one of the best where I live (a major metropolitan city). He was like president of the derm association for a number of years or some such and had all the credentials, Ivy League, and was also older, probably in his early 60s (so should have plenty of knowledge and experience treating patients). Anyhow it was fall time, I think October. He proceeds to tell me he gets lots of folks come in for acne in Fall as their acne seems to flare up at that time. Having heard about the benefits of Vit. D at the time (but not very knowledgeable like I am now) I asked him, was it because of the lack of Vitamin D production and he says no because of the lack of UV from the sun.

Now I don't disagree with the notion that UV exposure while sun bathing can irradiate bacteria, included P. acnes, on the skin, but now having experienced what I have by supplementing with Vit. D I know for me (and likely others) it is the increase in Vitamin D production that actually does much more benefit. If only I had followed up myself on Vitamin D at the time and not listened to that derm I would have resolved my acne 3 years earlier and saved myself 3 more years of frustration, no to mention another round of Accutane.

I just kinda shrugged off the comment the doctor said to be honest, ha. I have a few Q:

1. Once I get the results back for the blood test, what type of Vitamin D supplement should I get?

2. You mentioned UV rays helping acne or something, what do I do about that? should I still go out in the sun for a certain amount of time? I'm white/pale and it gets really hot, and I don't have any sunscreen atm for acne, is it ok to just go out in the sun every now and then and take my supplements for Vitamin D?

3. I read on a different thread it can cause a toxic build up in the body and as well if you're taking other supplements? such as COD liver oil (Which I am.) do you have any ideas on that?

I think I may be making it more difficult then it is... hah. just wanna know what to do and is it safe/ health wise.

MemberMember
(@sebumsucks)

Posted : 01/30/2013 12:19 am

txngrl - yes, you are being too impatient. You need to give it a few weeks. Even on Accutane I wouldn't see the reduction of oil for a week or two after I started taking it. Also you might try adding a vitamin c supplement. As I mentioned in the original post I am also taking Vitamin C at the same time but I don't know if it's helping the Vitamin D's effectiveness. It wouldn't hurt to add it.

Is your son supplementing with anything else? For example, ZInc for me increases oil. Also obviously greasy foods will increase sebum production.

I don't have any close up pics to share, I've always tried to avoid any. The few I had I burned long ago :) In my youth I was the "the kid" who had the worst acne at school. Dermatological Desktop Reference guide textbook example of severe acne.

MemberMember
(@sebumsucks)

Posted : 01/30/2013 12:40 am

Jekester

1. Get D3, not D2. I started with dry tablets (1000IU) but now also take oil-based capsules (5000IU). I don't think it matters which type you get.

2. If you are pale, don't go in the sun without sunscreen. With sunscreen you will be blocking UV, so in either case I wouldn't recommend trying to get a lot of sun to help with the acne. This helps more for mild acne, not moderate or severe anyway.

3. Cod Liver Oil does have some Vitamin D in it but not so much you need to worry (unless you are taking lots of Cod Liver Oil). Add up the amount you are getting from the Cod liver oil and subtract that amount from what you would normally take from a straight Vit D Supplement.

If you are looking to start out, look at 1000-2000IU. 4000IU is considered the upper safe tolerable limit per day but this is highly subjective and some researchers/docs believe it should be much higher than this. If you do take higher levels for long term you should get Vit. D tests every few months to see your current status and discuss with your doc. Long term you can build up too much in the body but like everything it depends on the person.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/30/2013 1:35 am

Jekester

1. Get D3, not D2. I started with dry tablets (1000IU) but now also take oil-based capsules (5000IU). I don't think it matters which type you get.

2. If you are pale, don't go in the sun without sunscreen. With sunscreen you will be blocking UV, so in either case I wouldn't recommend trying to get a lot of sun to help with the acne. This helps more for mild acne, not moderate or severe anyway.

3. Cod Liver Oil does have some Vitamin D in it but not so much you need to worry (unless you are taking lots of Cod Liver Oil). Add up the amount you are getting from the Cod liver oil and subtract that amount from what you would normally take from a straight Vit D Supplement.

If you are looking to start out, look at 1000-2000IU. 4000IU is considered the upper safe tolerable limit per day but this is highly subjective and some researchers/docs believe it should be much higher than this. If you do take higher levels for long term you should get Vit. D tests every few months to see your current status and discuss with your doc. Long term you can build up too much in the body but like everything it depends on the person.

Thank you for the info! :D. So it's possible to build up to much if you take a lot of it or a bit more then the standard amount? and yeah haha I wont go out in the sun to much.. so it's still possible that taking supplements can clear me (if im deficiant.) even though i wont get to many Uv rays on me?

I hope that made sense..

MemberMember
(@txngrl)

Posted : 01/30/2013 11:54 am

Nothing is a miracle cure/overnight cure. Not for anything. Not for cancer, not for acne, etc. Healing is a process and a journey. There are many factors at play, and its integrative. How is your son's diet? Does he have any food allergies? Keep going with the vitamin D3, though....and make sure its D3! DON'T get discouraged, keep up the hope!!! smile.png

His diet is good... again, he's 13, so most kids his age are eating processed junk, sodas, candy, etc. 90% of his diet is organic, he eats fresh fruit and veggies, GF crackers, GF bread, organic hummus, brown rice, (a.k.a. REAL food). He also drinks tons of water, and I'm having him drink diluted ACV water (Braggs) 2-3x/day. He rarely drinks soda, but I let him have about 2 cans per month, at school on Fridays for a treat. (Just so he won't feel like the TOTALLY weird kid who is never allowed soda... only the SOMEWHAT weird one, haha) So I feel like his diet is very good, considering he's a teenager. He was tested for food allergies (blood test) at the age of 5, and came back with some sensitivities, which we do try to avoid.

Here's a question: Do legumes cause acne? I have heard different things. I know they are very good for you. I buy organic lentils, adzuki beans, split peas, kidney beans, white beans. We eat legumes regularly- beans and rice, soups, etc. We don't eat a lot of meat. No pork, beef or fish.. mostly just organic poultry. I hope the legumes aren't making his acne worse. He also eats organic brown eggs. He also eats nuts (since he's trying to be GF, I have to find good snack alternatives). I have heard conflicting things about nuts too. Not sure if I'm doing the wrong thing by letting him eat those.

txngrl - yes, you are being too impatient. You need to give it a few weeks. Even on Accutane I wouldn't see the reduction of oil for a week or two after I started taking it. Also you might try adding a vitamin c supplement. As I mentioned in the original post I am also taking Vitamin C at the same time but I don't know if it's helping the Vitamin D's effectiveness. It wouldn't hurt to add it.

Is your son supplementing with anything else? For example, ZInc for me increases oil. Also obviously greasy foods will increase sebum production.

I don't have any close up pics to share, I've always tried to avoid any. The few I had I burned long ago smile.png In my youth I was the "the kid" who had the worst acne at school. Dermatological Desktop Reference guide textbook example of severe acne.

Yes, he's taking other supplements. He was taking C but we ran out. I'll get more. He has been taking OptiZinc, per the dr.'s orders. I've heard Zinc is good for helping acne. How do you know it increased your oil? I'm saying it could have been caused by something else maybe? And he doesn't usually eat greasy food... we aren't regulars at McD's drive thru or anything...haha. In fact, we don't eat fast food at all... the rare exception is if we are on a road trip and are desperate.

I'm so sorry you were "that kid"... I was too. Unfortunately now, so is my son. I am so fearful of what my other 2 kids will go through. I am already seeing signs in their skin, and they're younger than him. It really does a lot of emotional damage, doesn't it? What is the earliest age you remember getting acne? You may have said it in your OP, sorry if you did. I read the whole thing.. long, but worth reading.

MemberMember
(@semmer)

Posted : 01/30/2013 11:54 am

I didn't read this entire post, but i definitely look forward to it!!! Because I am 25 and have suffered from acne since the age of 14, and after about 3 weeks on D3, my acne is almost completely gone -- I also had my vitamin D levels checked and found they were a dismal 18.1 SEVERELY LOW!

I am happier now than I have been in 11 years. Amazing.

Glad to be able to share this success with a fellow vitamin D beneficiary. :)

SebumSucks and txngrl liked
MemberMember
(@txngrl)

Posted : 01/30/2013 12:01 pm

Oh sorry, I meant to add that he's also taking additional supplements, which his dr. told him to take months ago when he was doing oral chelation. We found out he had heavy metal toxicity... He did it for 4.5 months, and began breaking out worse, esp. on his back. It looked like he had a rash all over his back. She said it would get worse before it got better. She said it is a gradual process (you don't want to chelate too quickly), and it could take a full year to get fully clear. Well, we got so discouraged and ran out of patience that we decided to stop the chelation for now.

Sorry, I'm getting off track.. The other supplements he was (and still is) taking are Capryl, N.A.C., Calcium-d Glucarate, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Grape Seed Extract, and a digestive enzyme after each meal. I think that covers it. whew. Plus the OptiZinc.

I didn't read this entire post, but i definitely look forward to it!!! Because I am 25 and have suffered from acne since the age of 14, and after about 3 weeks on D3, my acne is almost completely gone -- I also had my vitamin D levels checked and found they were a dismal 18.1 SEVERELY LOW!

Glad to be able to share this success with a fellow vitamin D beneficiary. smile.png

Hello! I'm glad you have found success... was your acne severe? Which D are you taking and how much? Did you also see a decrease in oil (sebum) production? My son's skin is soooo oily, I can't wait for that to decrease (if ever!)

MemberMember
(@semmer)

Posted : 01/30/2013 2:56 pm

Oh sorry, I meant to add that he's also taking additional supplements, which his dr. told him to take months ago when he was doing oral chelation. We found out he had heavy metal toxicity... He did it for 4.5 months, and began breaking out worse, esp. on his back. It looked like he had a rash all over his back. She said it would get worse before it got better. She said it is a gradual process (you don't want to chelate too quickly), and it could take a full year to get fully clear. Well, we got so discouraged and ran out of patience that we decided to stop the chelation for now.

Sorry, I'm getting off track.. The other supplements he was (and still is) taking are Capryl, N.A.C., Calcium-d Glucarate, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Grape Seed Extract, and a digestive enzyme after each meal. I think that covers it. whew. Plus the OptiZinc.

Glad to be able to share this success with a fellow vitamin D beneficiary. smile.png

Hello! I'm glad you have found success... was your acne severe? Which D are you taking and how much? Did you also see a decrease in oil (sebum) production? My son's skin is soooo oily, I can't wait for that to decrease (if ever!)

i just wrote a long reply, but my computer malfunctioned... so I'll try and get this right...

last summer i started avoiding dairy, was in the sun a lot, putting jojoba oil on my t zone then wiping it off, chemically exfoliating with diluted raw vinegar, washing less (which produce less oil.. overwashing my super oily skin just made things worse) with castile soap (only once a day), and taking a fish oil supplement.

i believe the fish oil and the avoiding dairy rid me of cysts. The jojoba oil was smoothing out my lumpy forehead and melting away the sebum plugs and blackheads, and the sun was unintentionally keeping my neck and jaw clear.

At the end of summer, i noticed my neck and jaw was breaking out horribly.. spreading up my cheeks and to my temples... it was awful.. after such a clear summer, i had HUNDREDS of red dots all over my face. I had a physical done January 4th, and she did bloodwork which showed my vitamin D was SEVERELY low. Started taking 4,000 IU of D3 and slowly upped it to 10,000 (which may be too much for me, as my skin's mildly breaking out at the moment...). Almost overnight it got better. skin is smoother. less oily. more glowy. 100Xs better. I have pictures from january 4th until last week. They're pretty impressive, but i really don't want to put anything like that public... i can e-mail you, if you're interested, but again, i am still really embarrassed about this condition.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 01/30/2013 11:32 pm

It could definitely hormonal...or digestive...have you tried the "leaky gut" diet approach? Probiotics, etc? Was he breast fed? I have to say one thing about the ACV, too. Fructose allergy doesn't show up in regular tests. It's found via hydrogen breath test. I was drinking acv every day faithfully and putting honey (full of fructose) on my face and in my smoothies and my face was a mess. Now I have eliminated those things and I am oh so much better! Just trying to lend my tokens, I know each persons "cure" is different as we all have relatively "different" causes