Notifications
Clear all

I'm New 🙂

MemberMember
(@rjt623)

Posted : 01/21/2013 9:26 am

I am a 32 year old wife and mother of two. I work in healthcare administration. And I HATE that I am still plagued by acne. After years of stalking this website during my battle with acne, I finally decided to join. Here's a little bit about me and my struggle...

I started getting mild acne around age 12...very typical of the age and I was convinced that I would grow out of it...my mother swore that I would. I used every remedy that was available at the local CVS to a pre-teen with nothing more than some baby-sitting money. I tried every OTC cleanser, toner, and cream available. My grandmother recommended witch hazel and zinc oxide, so I tried that too. A few years into this, the acne got worse and the treatments couldn't keep up. This was around the dawn of Proactiv (back when Judith Light was their spokesperson). I would watch the infomercials and wonder if it could work for me. I was afraid to ask my mom to order it, so I waited until I had the money, I purchased a money order, and mailed in my order (very old school, I know). I used Proactiv with great success for several years...probably from age 16-23. Then at age 23 I got my first cyst. It was on my chin and I had no idea what I was dealing with. What was this hard, painful nodule that made me look like I had two chins? That was nearly 10 years ago and I have had more than my share of cystic breakouts. I continued with Proactiv, but then gave up because it couldn't combat the cysts. Also, I found it to be too harsh on my somewhat aging skin. Since then I've tried several other systems - Murad, Skintactix, Principal Secret, Neutrogena, Clean&Clear, back to Proactiv, and the list goes on and on.

I've had the luxury of being breakout free for months at a time. I gain some confidence. I get happy. I enjoy life. But then it returns. My oldest son is almost 5 years old and the other day he asked, "Mommy, do those boo-boo's on your chin hurt?" I was honest. "Yes they do," I said. The days when makeup only makes things worse are the hardest. I feel like everyone is looking at me and saying, "Why does she even bother?".

In my quest to "cure" myself of acne, I have taken a new approach. After tons of reading and research, I have learned a lot, and I understand that acne needs to be approached from the inside as well as from the outside. I'm making some dietary changes (cutting dairy and sugar, for example), adding some supplements (zinc/C/B combo), incorporating more exercise into my life, trying to stress less, and trying a new skincare line (Paula's Choice). My goal is that by summer I can feel confident enough to go outside without makeup and do all the fun summer things without worrying about my skin.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 01/21/2013 11:17 am

I would suggest you also start drinking vegetable juice, minimize caffeine/greasy food and practice yoga. You should be clear.

MemberMember
(@sebumsucks)

Posted : 01/21/2013 11:36 pm

You are on the right track regarding looking at it from what's wrong on the inside. The root of acne is some sort of hormonal imbalance (and probably a different imbalance for everyone). You did not mention whether you have seen a doc for this although from what you describe it would seem severe enough to warrant so. I have gone through every treatment out there (doc prescribed and otherwise) and suffered for over two decades and for me Vitamin D (which really is a pro-hormone) is what has cured me. Take a look in the Vitamin boards and search for "Vitamin D has cured me of oily skin and acne" and read my story. Since it is cheap, safe and does not require a prescription from a doc, I suggest you try it too. Even if Vitamin D is not your cure it is probably something else imbalanced in your hormones. Changing your diet and exercise could certainly improve your overall health but it will only at best provide a moderate degree of help to acne. You need to get to the root which is balancing your hormones. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/22/2013 2:38 am

First thing to look at is your birth control or lack of.

Many women have no clue how birth control pills can help acne or create acne. Please see the information in my signature for more information.

Making lifestyle changes are great, but honestly for most women with hormonal acne, they're just a drop in the bucket. No one really knows why, don't waste your time trying to find the cause. We just know that hormones very often cause acne and the only fix is hormonal treatment (either birth control pills or bioidentical hormones or compounded hormones or other medications that affect hormones indirectly). Yes there are "herbal" and "diet" options but usually they are not strong enough to make a change in your skin.

Especially as you are approaching menopause, hormones are basically going to be your best and worst friend for all of your health issues. Start researching.

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 01/22/2013 4:27 am

I am a 32 year old wife and mother of two. I work in healthcare administration. And I HATE that I am still plagued by acne. After years of stalking this website during my battle with acne, I finally decided to join. Here's a little bit about me and my struggle...

I started getting mild acne around age 12...very typical of the age and I was convinced that I would grow out of it...my mother swore that I would. I used every remedy that was available at the local CVS to a pre-teen with nothing more than some baby-sitting money. I tried every OTC cleanser, toner, and cream available. My grandmother recommended witch hazel and zinc oxide, so I tried that too. A few years into this, the acne got worse and the treatments couldn't keep up. This was around the dawn of Proactiv (back when Judith Light was their spokesperson). I would watch the infomercials and wonder if it could work for me. I was afraid to ask my mom to order it, so I waited until I had the money, I purchased a money order, and mailed in my order (very old school, I know). I used Proactiv with great success for several years...probably from age 16-23. Then at age 23 I got my first cyst. It was on my chin and I had no idea what I was dealing with. What was this hard, painful nodule that made me look like I had two chins? That was nearly 10 years ago and I have had more than my share of cystic breakouts. I continued with Proactiv, but then gave up because it couldn't combat the cysts. Also, I found it to be too harsh on my somewhat aging skin. Since then I've tried several other systems - Murad, Skintactix, Principal Secret, Neutrogena, Clean&Clear, back to Proactiv, and the list goes on and on.

I've had the luxury of being breakout free for months at a time. I gain some confidence. I get happy. I enjoy life. But then it returns. My oldest son is almost 5 years old and the other day he asked, "Mommy, do those boo-boo's on your chin hurt?" I was honest. "Yes they do," I said. The days when makeup only makes things worse are the hardest. I feel like everyone is looking at me and saying, "Why does she even bother?".

In my quest to "cure" myself of acne, I have taken a new approach. After tons of reading and research, I have learned a lot, and I understand that acne needs to be approached from the inside as well as from the outside. I'm making some dietary changes (cutting dairy and sugar, for example), adding some supplements (zinc/C/B combo), incorporating more exercise into my life, trying to stress less, and trying a new skincare line (Paula's Choice). My goal is that by summer I can feel confident enough to go outside without makeup and do all the fun summer things without worrying about my skin.

Maybe you are allergic too the same thing as me,I suffered only from cysts week in week out for 10 years from 15 to 25.

I know 100% what foods to avoid but I don't know the chemical name or number,as I live in the UK these food products will have a different brand name but I know for sure that it is the same worldwide,

basically it is anything that has a long shelf life and you add boiling water to activate,I think you have something called ramen in the USA,over here it's pot noodles,instant rice /noodles,gravy/tea/coffee granules,coloured rice, instant or cup a soups,packet granular mix in sauces etc etc,mostly granular form and interestingly,last year my doctor prescribed me some blood pressure tablets and they contained the same chemical,

if I had'nt found this out by accident 30 years ago, no doubt I would still be getting cystic spots and I hope yours is the same problem or similar,if so then you will be cured or should I say prevented which is better than cure.

I know 100% what foods to avoid but I don't know the chemical name or number,as I live in the UK these food products will have a different brand name but I know for sure that it is the same worldwide,

basically it is anything that has a long shelf life and you add boiling water to activate,I think you have something called ramen in the USA,over here it's pot noodles,instant rice /noodles,gravy/tea/coffee granules,coloured rice, instant or cup a soups,packet granular mix in sauces etc etc,mostly granular form and interestingly,last year my doctor prescribed me some blood pressure tablets and they contained the same chemical,

if I had'nt found this out by accident 30 years ago, no doubt I would still be getting cystic spots and I hope yours is the same problem or similar,if so then you will be cured or should I say prevented which is better than cure.

MemberMember
(@rjt623)

Posted : 01/22/2013 7:41 am

Thank you all for your responses and comments!

I have never actually been to a dermatologist...it scares me! My general practitioner has prescribed DIfferin, that was ages ago. I do currently take Tri-Sprintec for birth control...I think it's one that's supposed to help acne.

Although I think my acne is primarily hormonal, it does seem to be exacerbated when I eat poorly. I've been experiencing back-to-back breakouts since New Year's, worse than I have in months and months, and I the only thing that was different was that I went WAY off track with my mostly good eating habits - cookies, sweets, chocolate, lots of pasta, spiked punch, etc. No good! And I tend to be high-strung, and stress over everything...and I know it affects my skin.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

MemberMember
(@scaborca)

Posted : 01/23/2013 5:55 pm

Greetings to all,

I am also new and really appreciated your sharing. We have similar stories!

I began getting acne at 11, and now at age 35 am still battling it. I did OTC during adolscence and was later rx'd prescription creams and accutane twice in early adulthood.

I used proactive as well for last five to six years and also had periods of feeling, "Wow this is finally behind me." And felt so grateful but also afraid to get too happy.

Last year or so my skin has gotten bad again with frequent breakouts. I became unhappy with proactive and went to a naturopathic doctor. She changed my diet: gluten free, low sugar, dairy free and some natural supplements for hormones/thyroid. She urged me to get off proactive saying it was drying out my skin. I was feeling this was true, and as you say with aging now my skin looked so dry and unhealthy (besides oily and blemished!).

I used a botanical natural cleanser for last three months (Benedetta, small company). Felt pretty good for the first month but breakouts resumed. Think it could have been the oils in the cleanser/moisturizer. its not really intended for acne prone skin.

Anyway, I just had my worst breakout in several years, at age 35. Embarrassed to go to work, embarrassed to see my loved ones. I should be past this by now and can't believe I'm not.

Saw the dermatologist today (first time in a decade). Was rx'd retinol for night and clyndamycin gel for during the day. Along with gentle cleanser and moisturizer. Going to see how this goes.

I went to a natural store/pharmacy (I'm in Berkeley, CA). They suggested Sanitas line. Got their gentle cleanser and moisturizer. Hope this is okay!

Anyway wanted to introduce myself to the board and say hi to your post because I can definitely relate :)

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 01/24/2013 2:07 am

Greetings to all,

I began getting acne at 11, and now at age 35 am still battling it. I did OTC during adolscence and was later rx'd prescription creams and accutane twice in early adulthood.

I used proactive as well for last five to six years and also had periods of feeling, "Wow this is finally behind me." And felt so grateful but also afraid to get too happy.

Last year or so my skin has gotten bad again with frequent breakouts. I became unhappy with proactive and went to a naturopathic doctor. She changed my diet: gluten free, low sugar, dairy free and some natural supplements for hormones/thyroid. She urged me to get off proactive saying it was drying out my skin. I was feeling this was true, and as you say with aging now my skin looked so dry and unhealthy (besides oily and blemished!).

I used a botanical natural cleanser for last three months (Benedetta, small company). Felt pretty good for the first month but breakouts resumed. Think it could have been the oils in the cleanser/moisturizer. its not really intended for acne prone skin.

Anyway, I just had my worst breakout in several years, at age 35. Embarrassed to go to work, embarrassed to see my loved ones. I should be past this by now and can't believe I'm not.

Saw the dermatologist today (first time in a decade). Was rx'd retinol for night and clyndamycin gel for during the day. Along with gentle cleanser and moisturizer. Going to see how this goes.

I went to a natural store/pharmacy (I'm in Berkeley, CA). They suggested Sanitas line. Got their gentle cleanser and moisturizer. Hope this is okay!

Anyway wanted to introduce myself to the board and say hi to your post because I can definitely relate smile.png

whet form of acne do you suffer from?

MemberMember
(@rjt623)

Posted : 01/24/2013 7:57 am

Greetings to all,

Anyway wanted to introduce myself to the board and say hi to your post because I can definitely relate :)

Thanks so much for your reply, though I'm sorry that we share such similar stories...:)

I am also going through the worst breakout I've had in years...my chin is a complete mess. About 4 cysts that are somewhat healing, alongside about 5 new cysts. I'm dragging myself to work everyday because I have to, but I'm trying my best to hide in my office. I'm embarrassed for my husband and kids to see me...hubby insists that it's not that bad, though we both know it is. My 5 year old keeps asking if my boo-boos hurt. My 18 month old points to my chin and says "what 'dat mama?". I'm hoping that this is all due to a new exfoliating step that I've added to my skincare routine...an initial breakout maybe. I'm trying to hang in there with it, hoping this is the worse before better stage. Fingers crossed! I'm also talking some supplements and made some dietary changes. All these things take time, so I'm hoping that I have the patience to stay with it all and that it will be worth the wait!

I feel for you...I hope your scripts and the new cleanser and moisturizer help. Hang in there! Keep me posted!