Notifications
Clear all

Whey Protein Skin Purging

MemberMember
(@acemaesta)

Posted : 01/20/2013 4:33 pm

So pretty much my skin was at the best point its been at in years this past summer and then I stopped taking Whey protein and my skin is still breaking out hard.

I was literally not breaking out all except for 1 here and there then stopped taking the shakes and my skin just started purging bad.

Im back working out again and have started looking more towards soy and plant protein powders although they are more expensive and taste terrible.

Does anyone here workout that has experience with different protein powders and how have they affected your skin?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/20/2013 5:01 pm

Yes. A few years ago I was drinking whey protein shakes almost every day after working out and my skin was horrible. I finally traced it not to the whey, but the aspartame that was in the powder! I stopped eating all artificial sweeteners and my skin started clearing up almost immediately.

If you are looking for something without artificial sweeteners (but still containing whey) I recommend Whey Gourmet Naturelle, it is sweetened with Stevia and tastes great, you can get it in all sorts of flavours.

It's strange that you are breaking out from STOPPING whey, as a lot of people say they usually have skin problems caused by dairy. Did you change anything else about your lifestyle or diet at the same time you stopped drinking the shakes?

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 01/20/2013 5:16 pm

Yes. A few years ago I was drinking whey protein shakes almost every day after working out and my skin was horrible. I finally traced it not to the whey, but the aspartame that was in the powder! I stopped eating all artificial sweeteners and my skin started clearing up almost immediately.

Yes. Stop taking aspartame, or anything that contains it. It is absolutely detrimental to health. Or any other artificial anythings. FDA approved does not mean jack in today's world. The FDA is made up of people, corrupt people who cycle in and out of companies like Monsanto (who is responsible for GMO's, Round Up, Anti-biotics for animals, IGF-1) Hell, i get a sense of relief when i see things like 'statements have not been approved by FDA'

Another great whey protein you could be taking is 'organic whey'. Just google it, and it should take you to their website. This way you know there are not added anti-biotics or IGF-1 in the powder. It's a bit more expensive, but unfortunately until organic becomes the standard, it's going to remain that way

MemberMember
(@acemaesta)

Posted : 01/20/2013 9:45 pm

If you are looking for something without artificial sweeteners (but still containing whey) I recommend Whey Gourmet Naturelle, it is sweetened with Stevia and tastes great, you can get it in all sorts of flavours.

It's strange that you are breaking out from STOPPING whey, as a lot of people say they usually have skin problems caused by dairy. Did you change anything else about your lifestyle or diet at the same time you stopped drinking the shakes?

I know it seems strange that I broke out when stopping. Its the only thing that makes sense to me. Right when I stopped drinking the shakes the acne came back full force all over. It is similar to the INSANE breakout I had when I quit smoking cigarettes 2 years ago but just not as much.

To give you a little timeline I quit smoking in march of 11. I brokeout HORRIBELY I have cystic acne and literally my whole back neck face shouldeers and even some on my stomach and arms. I had this strong for about 8 months before I started to heal. Novemeber-July I was still just healing with the occasional zit. I had been drinking whey for about a year I believe. Then in somewhere around July I quit drinking Whey and and again had a breakout just like the cigarette purge and Im still going through it.

Anyways though. I appreciate the response Ill look into Whey Gourmet Naturelle and continue to try to find something that will be good to me. I purchased a pea protein recently. The taste leaves something to be desired but its not that bad.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/20/2013 10:02 pm

Wow, that quitting smoking story sounds brutal, I'm sorry you had to go through that. That's really not fair...it's almost like you were being punished for doing something so good for your body!

Have you taken a look at your diet? A lot of acne triggers are in food. I am currently on an elimination diet - 42 days today. It's not easy, but not actually that hard either. Major things that are known to cause acne are:

Dairy

Gluten/wheat

Citrus

Caffeine

Eggs

Sugar

Corn

Also, what are you using to wash your face?

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 01/20/2013 10:58 pm

Raw eggs are an excellent source of vitamins, fats, and proteins. And when consumed raw, people tend to lose their allergy to them. It's the cooking process that alters the egg into something the body views as a foreign substance. Thus causing the allergy in people sensitive to it. But...

The eggs should be organic, free range. Or at least free range, but preferably organic. The risk of salmonilla with your typical white egg is 1 in 33,000ish eggs. Those odds drastically drop with free range, and become even smaller with organic. Also, depending on how strong your immune system is, and how healthy you eat on a day to day basis, the salmonilla can be fought off relatively easily by your body. It becomes a threat when you eat like crap and have virtually no immunity built up

For my post workout, i use lightly blended raw eggs as my protein source. Also, although the protein quality may be rated the same between cooked and non-cooked eggs, when used as a post workout source of protein, its all about speed. You have a short window of time once you finish working out in which your body absorbs these proteins, and they get so tightly wound up when cooked that the window closes by the time the protein is ready to be absorbed. This isn't the case for raw eggs, as they are readily and quickly able to be absorbed. You will still utilize the cooked egg eventually, but if you want max gains, you need to take advantage of that window. That's why whey protein is also such a great post workout option. It's extremely easily/quickly absorbed

MemberMember
(@kole)

Posted : 01/21/2013 7:34 am

For my post workout, i use lightly blended raw eggs as my protein source. Also, although the protein quality may be rated the same between cooked and non-cooked eggs, when used as a post workout source of protein, its all about speed. You have a short window of time once you finish working out in which your body absorbs these proteins, and they get so tightly wound up when cooked that the window closes by the time the protein is ready to be absorbed. This isn't the case for raw eggs, as they are readily and quickly able to be absorbed. You will still utilize the cooked egg eventually, but if you want max gains, you need to take advantage of that window. That's why whey protein is also such a great post workout option. It's extremely easily/quickly absorbed

I have not logged into this site in over a year, but when I saw this, and your mentioning of aspertame and how its horrible for your health I had to say something. There is no window after you work out, You should probably look at the science behind it, what matters is your daily macronutrient intake, and calories in vs calories out, on a daily scale. The only studies that say aspartme is dagerous were studys done on rats, last time I checked, humans are not rats, and its not like they gave them a little dose, these rats were pumped with rediculous ammounts of aspartame for their size, so all studys saying its bad for you are garbage. Please read scientific studies before spreading misinformation.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/21/2013 7:55 am

So pretty much my skin was at the best point its been at in years this past summer and then I stopped taking Whey protein and my skin is still breaking out hard.

I was literally not breaking out all except for 1 here and there then stopped taking the shakes and my skin just started purging bad.

Im back working out again and have started looking more towards soy and plant protein powders although they are more expensive and taste terrible.

Does anyone here workout that has experience with different protein powders and how have they affected your skin?

I do use protein shakes but quite sparingly. May be once a day for the convenience with being at work.

There are a lot of bad brands out there.

Try avoid whey protein concentrate. This will be listed on the back with the ingredients. Concentrate is less pure form of whey and tends to have a lot other crap along with it like aspartame.

Instead go for whey protein isolate. This is the highest form of whey, easier to digest and typical far less bad stuff in it.

My personal fave is Maximuscle albeit more expensive. However can get it cheap from

http://www.thesupplementstore.co.uk/protein_powders/maximuscle-promax-maximuscle_promax_908g.htm

The only other brand i like is CNP.... Again in the upper price range a great product.

You get what you pay for with protein shakes but i would also eat good nutritional dense foods above all else.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/21/2013 8:15 am

I have not logged into this site in over a year, but when I saw this, and your mentioning of aspertame and how its horrible for your health I had to say something. There is no window after you work out, You should probably look at the science behind it, what matters is your daily macronutrient intake, and calories in vs calories out, on a daily scale. The only studies that say aspartme is dagerous were studys done on rats, last time I checked, humans are not rats, and its not like they gave them a little dose, these rats were pumped with rediculous ammounts of aspartame for their size, so all studys saying its bad for you are garbage. Please read scientific studies before spreading misinformation.

You know i was liking this post until u mentioned calories in vs calories out.

Firstly. You are 100% right about post workout. The "window" is greatly exaggerated. The bodies ability for protein synthesis (the ability to grow new muscle) is primed for up to 3 hours after training provided a high protein meal was consume pre training.

Secondly, agreed about the studies not conclusively proving aspartame is bad but i would argue anything that is sympathetic is best avoided.

HOWEVER! lol

Calories in vs calories out is out dated in todays world

I've trained many people, worked with some awesome fitness guys in the industries and thing they all agree on is that cal in cal out is way outdated.

I am training a girl right now for a lean physique and i have her eating more than she did before and at higher "calories" I have changed what she is eating and the fat is flying off her.

Read the below. This an article from Phil Learney one of the most respected nutritionists and strength conditioners in the industry. Scroll down to "it's not about the calorie" and read that.

http://www.phillearn...trition/page/4/

MemberMember
(@kole)

Posted : 01/21/2013 8:51 am

Firstly. You are 100% right about post workout. The "window" is greatly exaggerated. The bodies ability for protein synthesis (the ability to grow new muscle) is primed for up to 3 hours after training provided a high protein meal was consume pre training.

Secondly, agreed about the studies not conclusively proving aspartame is bad but i would argue anything that is sympathetic is best avoided.

HOWEVER! lol

I've trained many people, worked with some awesome fitness guys in the industries and thing they all agree on is that cal in cal out is way outdated.

I am training a girl right now for a lean physique and i have her eating more than she did before and at higher "calories" I have changed what she is eating and the fat is flying off her.

Read the below. This an article from Phil Learney one of the most respected nutritionists and strength conditioners in the industry. Scroll down to "it's not about the calorie" and read that.

[Removed]

Calories in vs out is not outdated, The Human body gains weight when in a caloric surplus, loses weight in a caloric defecit, maintains its weight at caloric maintenance. Of course there are a few exceptions, such as someone being new to weight lifting. But please explain how its not about this? I mean sure everyones metabolism is different, some people have destroyed their basal metabolism by not eating enough food. But there is no way you can say body weight is not maintained by calories in vs calories out. Im not saying its just that, though I mentioned macronutrients which also play a huge part. But honestly im confused on why you think its outdated.. Maybe we have a different definition on it? I mean its proven time and time again in scientific studies and I don't know of one bodybuilder that doesn't track their macros, and calories. And by the way that article was a joke, Talking about bulking on 2000 calories a day from "higher quality produce" than 3000 on "lower quality produce" Biggest joke I have ever heard, If a person is bulking or cutting they have to find out their exact Caloric and Macronutrient needs for optimal results.. Again this is PROVEN, The way this guy sounds I bet he believes in the glycemic index. You also say you have the girl eating more than she was before. Well what were her macros now and then.. and what is her caloric maitnance, She probably destroyed her basal metabolism with a low calorie diet, not even knowing her maitnance, and now that shes eating closer to her maitnance her metabolism is recovering.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/21/2013 10:01 am

On 1/21/2013 at 7:51 PM, Kole said:

HOWEVER! lol

[Removed]

Calories in vs out is not outdated, The Human body gains weight when in a caloric surplus, loses weight in a caloric defecit, maintains its weight at caloric maintenance. Of course there are a few exceptions, such as someone being new to weight lifting. But please explain how its not about this? I mean sure everyones metabolism is different, some people have destroyed their basal metabolism by not eating enough food. But there is no way you can say body weight is not maintained by calories in vs calories out. Im not saying its just that, though I mentioned macronutrients which also play a huge part. But honestly im confused on why you think its outdated.. Maybe we have a different definition on it? I mean its proven time and time again in scientific studies and I don't know of one bodybuilder that doesn't track their macros, and calories. And by the way that article was a joke, Talking about bulking on 2000 calories a day from "higher quality produce" than 3000 on "lower quality produce" Biggest joke I have ever heard, If a person is bulking or cutting they have to find out their exact Caloric and Macronutrient needs for optimal results.. Again this is PROVEN, The way this guy sounds I bet he believes in the glycemic index. You also say you have the girl eating more than she was before. Well what were her macros now and then.. and what is her caloric maitnance, She probably destroyed her basal metabolism with a low calorie diet, not even knowing her maitnance, and now that shes eating closer to her maitnance her metabolism is recovering.

We'll just have to disagree on cal in vs cal.

I have agreed with pretty much everything you have written apart from this.

I say it is dated because in modern society food isn't food anymore. Too many get hung up on "calories" and think because a chocolate bar only has 50 cals its okay to eat.

For me, stabling hormones, primarily insulin is the key for fat loss or any other goal. When burning fat i prefer to create the energy deficit in training while stablising hormones through nutrition.

I stopped counting calories a long time ago and never looked back. One could argue calculating macros by default calculates he calories.

It is out dated because it does not cover all bases like insulin sensitivity which is vital to fat loss. Eating 2000 goo calories vs 2000 bad calories is completely different. This for me, is why it is out dated.

I know people who believe in cal in vs cal out, but based on my experience it is not accurate and less efficient.

There is a thousand ways to skin a cat just like there is dieting. However there are optimal ways and less optimal ways. For me, cal in vs cal out is not optimal.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 01/21/2013 3:14 pm

There is no window after you work out, You should probably look at the science behind it, what matters is your daily macronutrient intake, and calories in vs calories out, on a daily scale. The only studies that say aspartme is dagerous were studys done on rats, last time I checked, humans are not rats, and its not like they gave them a little dose, these rats were pumped with rediculous ammounts of aspartame for their size, so all studys saying its bad for you are garbage. Please read scientific studies before spreading misinformation.

Like the gluten free debate here on the .org, this is one of the most debated issues in bodybuilding/nutrition forums even today. I've seen the science arguing both ways. I absolutely agree that your body will be absorbing the protein carbs long after a workout. But based on the countless debates/studies i've read, i feel it's important to be providing your body with extremely easy to absorb protein/carbs immediately after a workout. And it also depends on how hard you are working out, in regards to how much damage you are doing to your muscles. And it depends on what you eat pre-workout. There are so many different methods that seasoned veterans swear by, and others contradict, sword fighting with various studies and bro science. In my own experience, since using a post workout recovery drink, i've noticed huge improvements in gains when compared to simply leaving the gym, heading home and making a whole food meal.

This is another issue that will be debated until the end of time my friend. I absolutely believe in providing an instant source of readily absorbable carbs/proteins when completing a workout. If you don't believe in it, fair enough. But just know that you have bodybuilders who have been studying this stuff for years, still debating over the importance of taking advantage of the post workout window. I'm absolutely going to continue to use one as long as i am seeing greater gains while doing so. And you can continue to call it rubbish if you'd like.

Also...no. Aspartame is extremely toxic to the system. i'm sorry that you think it is harmless. Would be curious to know your stance on organic vs. non-organic, water treatment vs not treating, views on Monsanto and their practices (they see nothing wrong with aspartame either) And what you're saying is that any study done on rats has now become worthless. Thanks for providing your opinion on the matter, but you also have to understand that scientific studies are done by humans. And unless the study has been conducted by a trustworthy independent source (hard to know how independent the source really is) it can be easily manipulated to suit the needs of those conducting said study. So while studies are great when done purely, you need to be careful who you listen to in regards to how safe something really is. According to Monsanto's studies (as well as some 'independently sourced' studies), GMO's are perfectly safe, as well as IGF-1in milk. MSG is also perfectly fine. And yes, aspartame. Harmless

MemberMember
(@kole)

Posted : 01/21/2013 5:20 pm

I guess we will have to disagree, although your 2000 good vs bad calorie reference is just white noise to me, doesn't really make sense at all since of course if someones into fitness they are going to hit their micros and macros while say they had fast food during the day, they just have to work around that by eating clean foods to hit their macros for that day.

And as for the aspartame debate, The only evidence saying its bad for human consumption, is a rat study, and it is rediculous to even think this study could be close to being accurate, since birth the rats were given up to 4000mg of aspartame per day, thats more than 20 sodas worth of aspartame (which is the recommended limit for a 170 pound male) So these 1 pound rodents being force fed rediculous amounts of aspartame since birth are being used to say the small ammount in 1-2 diet sodas per day is toxic? Sorry but there is not enough evidence to make the claim that aspartame, in the ammount there is in diet drinks, will cause cancer in humans. Just not enough evidence, this study can be thrown in the garbage.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/21/2013 5:21 pm

Totally agree Goose, aspartame wreaked havoc on my face...I didn't even know I was consuming it because I wasn't paying attention. The minute I stopped things completely turned around for me. Now I'm dealing with something else causing my breakouts and haven't been able to pinpoint it just yet....working on it though.

I see your signature....did you find table salt was causing you problems? I don't use a lot, but I use it.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 01/21/2013 7:42 pm

Hi Apostrophe, i would get headaches after really salty meals and feel very dehydrated. This was when i was consuming table salt. I try to limit my sodium intake in general, but since using a quality salt, i use less (because the taste is so much stronger) and don't get the headaches or feeling of dehydration. It really becomes a foreign/toxic substance when it's stripped of all it's trace minerals, refined at high heats, and bleached. Not to mention added anti-caking agents. But for sure, they are two completely different substances. I actually posted a thread about his recently. Should still be on the main page here

Also, as a general rule...if it's not made by nature, i don't want it in my body. Or if it's been tainted/altered by mankind, no thanks.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/21/2013 7:58 pm

Yes Goose, this is the mentality I am trying to follow now, everything natural. I follow a diet quite like yours and actually think my breakout might have been from switching to natural skin care. What do you use on your face? I was using BP for years with decent results, but it was drying me out. I switched to St. Ives scrub (SA and SLS, what a nightmare but I had no idea until I started doing research) and since then I made the switch to way more natural skin care about 4 weeks ago. Had a major breakout 10 days later, now I am still breaking out, but it's less severe.

Did you experience any sort of purge or initial breakout when you started a more natural skin care regimen?

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 01/21/2013 8:19 pm

The first natural skin care i tried was to use green tea topically. And rooibos tea. I was browsing green tea for some reason and started reading about people applying it topically. So that is what sparked my interest. I never looked back after that. I've tried so many things including ACV, lemon juice, honey, aspirin masks, every type of oil cleanse, a host of homemade face washes and toners, etc. I didn't notice an initial purge, no, but i imagine it is a common thing as you are drastically altering what is sitting on your face. And since it takes pimples a couple weeks to form (depending on pimple) you could still be dealing with purging skin for a while after starting natural treatment.

I currently don't use any wash. I consider the toner i make the wash step, toning step, and topical solution step. There is so much creativity to be had in making homemade toners/washes. This is the one i'm currently using, and i like it alot. But there's also a green tea one that you can make as well.

http://www.acne.org/...ice-root-toner/

Also good for you for starting to stick to natural things. If you really want to do your body good, you'll switch to organic. This way you avoid herbicides and pesticides, as well as GMO foods. It's a little more expensive, but hopefully as it gains popularity, and GMOs continue to be rejected by the world, the price will drop.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/22/2013 3:42 am

I guess we will have to disagree, although your 2000 good vs bad calorie reference is just white noise to me, doesn't really make sense at all since of course if someones into fitness they are going to hit their micros and macros while say they had fast food during the day, they just have to work around that by eating clean foods to hit their macros for that day.

And as for the aspartame debate, The only evidence saying its bad for human consumption, is a rat study, and it is rediculous to even think this study could be close to being accurate, since birth the rats were given up to 4000mg of aspartame per day, thats more than 20 sodas worth of aspartame (which is the recommended limit for a 170 pound male) So these 1 pound rodents being force fed rediculous amounts of aspartame since birth are being used to say the small ammount in 1-2 diet sodas per day is toxic? Sorry but there is not enough evidence to make the claim that aspartame, in the ammount there is in diet drinks, will cause cancer in humans. Just not enough evidence, this study can be thrown in the garbage.

http://www.cancer.or...thome/aspartame

http://www.cancer.go...cial-sweeteners

I see where you're coming from when fitting in the macros. It is a valid argument and yes a deficit can still be done with a fast meal has been eaten during the day.

However given all of the preservatives, salt and sugar typically in fast foods this has no benefit to the body. Hormone stabilization is key for overall health, burning fat and gaining muscle.

Everyone is different. I have an endomorph body this means something like If It fits your macros does not work on me. I store fat very easily, very sensitive to carbs especially sugar. The 1 or 2% out there who are lucky enough to have a race horse metabolism or bodybuilder whos insulin sensitivity is nothing short of awesome could probably apply the Cal in vs Cal out way of doing things.

However the average person, someone who hasn't had a great diet their whole life, has tried dieting, typically does not eat enough when trying to cut down, damages their metabolism, insulin sensitivity is on the floor. These people take a lot long time to fix. What i typically hear is this "when do i get a reward meal?" You don't. Your whole life has been a reward meal and you need to repair that which take a long time. You get a reward meal once you have earned it. I am for a reward meal but it has to be earned and when the said person is sufficiently lean enough. Due to my body type i have a reward meal every 2 or 3 weeks and i am good shape, but thats how it is for me.

MemberMember
(@kole)

Posted : 01/23/2013 1:54 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature