Notifications
Clear all

Strange Acne/rash On Forehead?

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 01/19/2013 10:47 pm

Hi all, new here!!

I joined this community because I could use some advice/support.

I have been a picker for the past 4 years and am working to stop. Because of this my skin is very thin and fragile.

I have relatively mild acne on chin, temples and sides of face.

A problem I have been trying to tackle for some time (about the last 2 years) has been the issue of tiny bumps all over my forehead and under my eyes and across the bridge of my nose. They never go away, though they intensify periodically depending on hormonal chemistry at that time. In the photo it is more than usually broken out for some reason. They aren't that red unless I touch them, but they itch and flake when I scratch them (which I try not to do...I'm trying to break the habit of even touching my face). It doesn't seem like normal acne, but maybe it is? Maybe a classification can help. I'm wondering if it is the result of trauma from messing with my skin so much, or is this just a weird type of acne? Any help would be great regarding what I should do for it. I™ve tried diluted tea tree oil and aloe vera gel¦the tea tree oil doesn™t seem to do much and the gel soothes the itching a bit (even though the gel dries and flakes off ) so what could help? None of the rest of my skin looks like this...

Thanks again for your time.

post-196674-0-34448600-1358653605_thumb.

post-196674-0-33844000-1358653622_thumb.

post-196674-0-34448600-1358653605_thumb.

post-196674-0-33844000-1358653622_thumb.

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 01/20/2013 8:15 pm

I had something similar a while back as a result of not washing my face with my normal cleansers from another rash. Try organic apple cider vinegar topical. Mine dried up and fell off after like a month. I also pay more attention to my routine lol. I think it's a

Result

From oily skin

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 01/20/2013 9:10 pm

Thank you for your input, Aballerina. What cleansers did you use? I tried one by neutrogena for sensitive skin, but it seemed to irritate it further.

I have noticed with my skin that the more I wash it the redder and more prone to acne it gets. I think this is because of it being so fragile.

ACV topical...afraid that may cause my skin to get angry... so should I dilute it before applying?

MemberMember
(@sweetkenzie)

Posted : 01/21/2013 3:29 am

This almost looks like keratosis pilaris, or something that could be cleared with a quality BHA.

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 01/21/2013 1:34 pm

Interesting feedback, Sweetkenzie. Looked up on keratosis pilaris and read that the condition subsides when treated, but usually reappears after treatment is over. It can also fade with age. Doesn't sound too encouraging.

I tried a 1/3 concentration of ACV and water on a cotton ball and patted my forehead with it before I went to bed last night. I wonder if it's going to help at all. This morning it looks slightly irritated between my eyebrows, but that could just be the natural cycle of my crazy skin. huh.png

I'm thinking I may end up having to spend the money and go to a dermatologist for this some day...

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 01/21/2013 2:56 pm

I have a patch of skin near the corner of my mouth that has bumps just like this. It's been an on-going problem for a couple months now, and everything I've tried to make these bumps go away has worked but then the bumps come back a couple days after stopping whatever treatment I've used. I've tried steriod creams, clindoxyl gel and an antifungal cream.

Keep us updated with the ACV.

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 01/21/2013 5:55 pm

Sorry to hear that, Hoots. I will keep you guys posted.

I've used ACV before for a mole I had on my lip, and it completely went away but for some reason its back now so I'm treating it again. It works great to peel off layers of dead skin cells.

I also think it might be a good idea to use baking soda as a cleanser (NOT scrub) to compensate for the highly acidic vinegar. I guess ph is imporant too, according to what I've been reading on this site lately.

MemberMember
(@sweetkenzie)

Posted : 01/21/2013 7:24 pm

@hoots that sounds like perioral dermatitis.

And on the ACV, it is a nice natural chemical exfoliant for the skins surface, however it doesn't have the power to exfoliate inside the pore such as a beta hydroxy acid product. Look into Paula's choice products.

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 01/21/2013 11:24 pm

Sweetkenzie,

I've had PD before so this isn't surprising. However, this patch is a lot more mild then when I've had it before which made me hesitant to go on antibiotics. I was looking for an easier and topical approach. So far the only thing that seems to help the best is the antifungal cream, which makes me think ACV would do the trick too. This type of dermatitis is so weird considering it seems to have some sort of fungal component.

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 01/22/2013 11:22 am

Well, so far the ACV only seems to be irritating my skin further. I tried to balance it out with a baking soda paste, but the action of whiping those tiny grains of baking soda off didn't help things...my skin is so darn fussy.

I now sport three or four lovely puss-pockets between by eyebrows, and my forehead isn't looking any better.

Maybe it just needs more time with this treatment...it hasn't been very long. I suppose I just don't have a whole lot of patience.

I notice that it gets better in the summer, but we are having a long winter and its hard to go outside. Plus, sunlight isn't supposed to be all that great for your skin anyways, even though it might make it look better for a while.

I wish I knew what else to do :(

MemberMember
(@orty)

Posted : 01/22/2013 5:03 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread, but i have similar flesh coloured bumps on my forehead too, so I am interested in how you go with the ACV.

Sweetkenzie, you've recommended BHA, isnt that just Salcylic Acid? any particular product in paula's range u recommend, or anything else?

MemberMember
(@sweetkenzie)

Posted : 01/22/2013 11:58 pm

@hoots, have you cut out products to see what may be causing your pd? Like sulfates in tooth paste, etc?

@livvie fight the urge to irritate your skin more, if you really want to give ACV a run, try diluting it further with water and working up to a stronger dilution.

@orty essentially yes, bha is salacylic acid. However, if it is not carried in a product with the correct ph it doesn't have to ability to exfoliate at all, thus being completely pointless. Many drugstore brands don't have the correct ph, unfortunately. Paula's offer ls both 1 and 2 Percent bhas and they come in a liquid a gel or a lotion. They all depend on your skin type. Many people use her products and sweat by them. Do a search on it here.

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 01/23/2013 3:45 pm

I feel like I've tried everything! I use toddlers toothpaste and sulfate free shampoos and conditioners. I've changed my make up to products that don't irritate my skin, etc. I've never had an allergy test done so I'd actually be interested to see if it has to do with a food I'm eating? However, I believe my PD flares when there's a drop in temperature or when there's a loss of moisture in my skin.

MemberMember
(@sweetkenzie)

Posted : 01/24/2013 1:20 am

@hoots I know some people break out if they're allergic to gluten... The moisture thing is interesting. I wonder why they would be connected?

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 01/24/2013 11:25 am

Well, just an update...

This is my third day of doing acv treatment. I have altered the my technique, as swabbing my face doesn't seem to be as effective and seems to irritate my skin.

When I looked in the mirror after my second treatment of this, I was floored. My skin looked smoother and more regular, and also much tighter and healthier.

What I did was...

I got a paper towl and soaked it in water, then rung it out so it was left very damp. I poured a bit of the acv over it so it was diluted by the water, then spread the paper towl over my forehead and layed down for 10 minutes. I took it off and took a shower, rinsing off the excess acv from my skin. The dead skin flakes were gone, and it didn't itch anymore.

Nightly I am doing a baking soda paste mask, letting it dry, then washing it off to keep the ph of my skin good because acv is acidic.

I think this is something that is going to help...already my skin is looking better.

Will post pics by the 5th treatment.

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 01/24/2013 12:53 pm

Livvie, that's awesome news. Treatments do take longer than a week to see any improvements or not so keep it up! If you find your skin becoming too dry, add in your moisturizer again.

@sweetkenzie, don't tell me it's a gluten allergy!!! That would be devastating. I'm scared to get an allergy test for that reason, I love all foods! As for the moisture idea, I've always developed PD when I've stripped my skin of it's moisture or disrupted the Ph level. So things like spilling alcohol down my chin or sleeping with makeup on, or turning the heat on in my place too high. You know that feeling where you skin feels so tight? If that ever happens, I start developing small bumps.

MemberMember
(@sweetkenzie)

Posted : 01/25/2013 11:53 am

@hoots, I love cerave for that reason. I'm on benzaclin in the morning, retin a at night and a bha toner after cleansing and I have had 0 irritation or peeling. I give ceraVe cleanser and moisterizer complete credit for that. The days I feel a little dry I nix my moisterizer with aquaphor.

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 02/25/2013 10:11 am

Hey, just an update on this rash thing.

Well, it's been a little over 30 days. I've been using the ACV diluted 40% with water, and it looks better after I do it. I think the problem is my skin is so oily on my forehead and nose that it becomes the perfect site for zits (like Aballerina was saying). I have just started doing a salt treatment alongside the ACV to maybe help dry up my skin? I want it to dry up and fall off too! I'm not even afraid of peeling like a snake shedding its skin like I was at first!

I also went to walgreens and bought All-in-1 Acne Control facial treatment by Neutrogena because it said it was 1% salicylic acid (which is a BHA; yes, I've done some homework). I thought it might help all the little aggrivated bumps, but I find it only does something for the acne on my chin and cheeks and has no effect on my rash.

I was thinking for a while that it was keratosis pilaris, but now I'm thinking its something different - it's more than just "chicken skin," it has tiny pus-pockets too. Fun times. :/

This rash makes me really self-concious. I find it hard to look people in the eye while I talk to them because I feel like they stare at my skin, and I try only to look in the mirror from a distance. I try to keep my bangs over it, but then it seems to look worse from having my hair sitting on it during the day.

It may just need more time because of its severity, so I still am doing the ACV in hopes that it will eventually help. I think I need to get a better kind of ACV; just using the regular kind on the shelves that's sadly not organic. I think its by Kroger. Will it still even help if it isn't organic?

Does anyone have tips?

MemberMember
(@akko)

Posted : 02/26/2013 2:34 pm

Your picture reminds me a lot of what I used to have on my forehead. Turns out it was fungal folliculitis. Check out this page for more info:

http://facerealityacneclinic.com/articles/folliculitis.php

I got rid of it by washing my forehead with nizoral shampoo twice a day. Make sure to let the shampoo sit on your skin for 3-5 minutes before rinsing. I had it for two frustrating years before I found out what it was, but once I started washing with nizoral it went away after about a week.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 02/27/2013 11:44 am

Thanks for sharing. Is it possible to have that condition around the bridge of your nose/a little under eyes too?

Going to look for the shampoo at walmart today. I will try almost anything to get rid of it. I know what you mean about the frustration: I have been dealing with it for about a year and a half and nothing seems to help!

MemberMember
(@akko)

Posted : 02/27/2013 4:15 pm

Folliculitis occurs mainly on the forehead and sides of cheeks, but can occur anywhere on the face, so yes it's possible. Give it a week to see if it works- if this is what you have, there should be improvements after just a few days.

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 02/28/2013 9:52 am

Does the shampoo have to be nizoral? I could only find a similar brand - Head & Shoulders - and hoping that will work...

And thanks, akko, I will be persistant with the rutine.

From what I've read, fungal folliculitis can be triggered by the use of some medications. I first realized I had this "rash" after I got home from the hospital after having my spine fused...they gave me tons of who-know-what there, so maybe its possible that's what caused this in the first place.

It does itch - constantly - and I always find myself scratching it and trying not to, because it gets red and irritated. Seems that's a symptom of this condition as well.

The shampoo I bought contains pyrithione zinc, an ingredient that is used to treat the issue.

MemberMember
(@akko)

Posted : 02/28/2013 8:47 pm

You're welcome! I hope it works- Head and shoulders should work also, but I find it more drying. Make sure you got the "Classic Clean" version- other versions of Head and Shoulders might have added conditioning ingredients that could clog pores.

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 03/03/2013 6:03 pm

I've got the Classic Clean, fortunately!

So its the fourth day of treatment, and I'm seeing a change. Those tiny annoying bumps are kind of melting into the rest of my skin, making it appear level and like NORMAL SKIN! Or partway normal anyhow. I am encouraged, but also uncertain because the shampoo is making my forehead and around my nose really, really dry and rough and RED. I guess it doesn't like how harsh the product is - it is VERY FRAGRANCED - so I add aloe vera after I wash it off like you said afterwards to maybe help with that. It looks especially enraged after I wash it off after leaving it on for the 3-5 minutes, the redness even lingering to the next morning. Perhaps I should do it once a day? Or should I push through until the next 3 days are over? It makes my skin quite itchy...

But, at least it smells good. Better than most of the stuff I've tried before.

My skin feels a bit like leather, but I will take that any day over the itchy, flaking toad-skin. Most of the pus pockts are gone, and I can see my skin for what it really looks like. I'm hoping the redness and the rough texture will go away after I'm done with the treatment. I take it that because it's looking better, fungal foliculitis IS what I have then?

Feeling overall encouraged!! Will be very grateful if this works out. I will post pictures asap.

:D

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 03/12/2013 10:50 am

Ok, well, I had to stop the shampoo one day early. I realized it was destroying my skin. At first I thought it was improving and didn't think much of the shoe-leather texture, but it started cracking from being so dry and itchy and even bleeding where it cracked. It peeled every day for about 4 days after I stopped the shampoo, even though I tried my best not to scratch it.

Now, the peeling has stopped and the texture is not like sandpaper but it looks right back where it started from like in the pictures at the beginning. Still have all the stupid bumps.

So I finally have decided to go to the derm as a last resort, later on this week. Didn't want to have to do that; I'm sorry, I'm just really sick of dealing with this rash after so long. Don't mean to complain, I know so many of you on here deal with way worse.

Keep y'all posted - kinda scared to go to the derm if I'm being honest. I've never been to one before and I don't want them to give me something that tears up my skin again that bad...