Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Log (21, M, Moderate Acne)

MemberMember
(@letsgetthisoverwith)

Posted : 01/19/2013 3:59 pm

How's it going everybody?

I'm choosing not to share any personal information, but I am a 21 year old male college student starting what I think will be a five month course of prescription accutane, specifically Myorisan.

For a little bit of background:

Throughout high school I had very, very light acne. We're talking one or two pimples every now and again. I did absolutely nothing to my face and never even thought about it. Towards the end of my senior year and starting with my freshman year of college, I noticed a significant worsening of my acne, but still not to the point where I really thought about it. I started to wash my face in the morning and at night with several different OTC washes. As I got further into college(now in my third year), my face only got worse. I really don't know what caused it in the end, but I do attribute some of it to an unhealthy diet (dining hall food and lots of beer). Eventually I asked my GP if there was anything he could do for me. He prescribed me Retin-A .025% and I began to use that a long with clearisil face wash. I did some research and was prepared for the initial breakout, but can honestly say for the semester that I used it, my skin only got worse. This past summer, I continued to use Retin-A and after moving to a drier, cooler climate for a few months my face cleared up noticeably. As soon as I moved back to my college town (very humid and hot), I broke out worse than ever. I continued to use Retin-A to try to control it but my condition only declined as the months went by. In November, I decided to make an appointment with a dermatologist and was prescribed doxycycline 100mg 2x a day, and Epiduo (benzoyl peroxide and adapalene). Again, I was ready for the initial breakout as I did a lot of research, much of which was on acne.org. I definitely appreciated seeing the encouraging results that people had with this regimen, but after following it for 2.5 months(November 5th-January 10th) I can honestly say my acne is no better and possibly even worse than before I started. I made another appointment with my dermatologist and was told the only other option would be accutane.

So, as of yesterday I have stopped taking doxycycline and using Epiduo, and begun what I think will be five months on accutane. I was pretty concerned with the initial breakout, so my derm. has started me off with 20mg once a day. I am really hoping that having taken doxycycline up until this point will help with the IB. Anyone have any info on this? Today is my second day taking the pill, so no real results to speak of thus far. I am definitely prepared for the dry skin that it will surely cause, and although I know of the other side effects, I am not extremely worried. I have been drinking about a gallon of water each day, using aquaphor lip balm to prepare my lips, and Olay Sensitive Skin Moisturizer with SPF 15. Does anyone have any other suggestions for things I should do or get? Has anyone used these moisturizers while on accutane and been satisfied? I really would appreciate any advice!

So, here are my day 1 pictures(the first day I took accutane):

post-196512-0-04626600-1358629027_thumb.

post-196512-0-75430500-1358629010_thumb.

At the moment, my skin is not in terrible conidition, although I do have a LOT of scarring. I know that will take time to fade and that accutane won't really do anything for it. I am really just hoping to be done with acne once and for all and hope that a lot of my scars and current acne will clear up in the next couple of months. PLEASE give me any advice, tips, etc. that helped you or that you can think of!! I will do my best to respond to any questions and to post pictures every week for an update! THANK YOU!

post-196512-0-75430500-1358629010_thumb.

post-196512-0-04626600-1358629027_thumb.

MemberMember
(@letsgetthisoverwith)

Posted : 01/19/2013 4:22 pm

Day 0 (1/18/12)

Took my first 20mg pill at about 6PM...nothing to report.

Day 1 (1/19/12)

Not much new today. No new pimples, no improvements. I did notice my legs and scalp were slightly itchy....but I don't want to start attributing anything that happens to accutane.

MemberMember
(@letsgetthisoverwith)

Posted : 01/19/2013 5:00 pm

Also, if anyone has any info on what my diet should be like while on accutane that would be greatly appreciated!

MemberMember
(@user74659)

Posted : 01/19/2013 5:10 pm

I've been eating a lot of fat like they recommend, but trying to eat healthy fat like natural peanut butter, salmon, nuts, olive oil, and eggs. I'm thinking about trying to get away from dairy and switch to oat or almond milk since I've heard milk can add to severe acne problems and its ironic that I never drank milk much until about 9 months before my skin got out of whack and was drinking lots of it when things exploded, hmmm.....

MemberMember
(@letsgetthisoverwith)

Posted : 01/19/2013 5:21 pm

Thanks Brownilocks,

I also heard that fat and accutane work well together. I read that you are supposed to take accutane with a fatty meal for better absorption.

I started avoiding dairy in general this past semester when I broke out so badly. I never saw any connection between the two, but I guess it wasn't too hard to do. Almond milk is actually delicious once you get used to it, and with cereal you can barely tell the difference.

Have you had anything to drink while on accutane? I know you are not supposed to drink very much if at all. My dermatologist said that a couple of beers here and there won't hurt you. Have you had any bad experiences with that?

MemberMember
(@sanlosang)

Posted : 01/19/2013 5:48 pm

I'm in the middle of my Accutane course...

Some tips:

* Drink a lot of water (!)

* No, don't drink alcohol while taking Accutane (I mean come on... it's only five months, you can't live five months without alcohol?)

Regarding the scars I can tell you that you can't really know until you finish your Accutane course and wait like a couple of months after it... Personally, I do not believe you have any scars.

You should be prepared, you are going to go through one hell of mental roller-coaster... at least that's what its like for me and from what I read it's quite popular. You're gonna have mood swings and some days that you'll feel like crap... you will feel quite tired... you will get to the point where you think "this ain't gonna work for me"... you will think you have scars and that you are ugly. It's a battle, you need to win it, don't let depressing thoughts conquer your mind, be certain that Accutane will work, just say it to yourself everyday, try to keep enjoying life while on it, and that's it.

I also recommend you not to strain yourself physically while on Accutane (e.g: don't do heavy weight lifting).

Wish you all the best in your pursuit for clear skin! keep us updated.

MemberMember
(@letsgetthisoverwith)

Posted : 01/19/2013 6:04 pm

Thanks SanLosAng, definitely good to hear from someone in the middle of their course. I just read through your log and hope you're getting over the hump! I am pretty well prepared for the mental battle I think (I hope). I feel like I've gone through similar things with Retin-A and Epiduo. They have the same sort of story surrounding them (bad initial breakout, clearing after 6-8 weeks) but neither of them seemed to get better after months of using them.

* No, don't drink alcohol while taking Accutane (I mean come on... it's only five months, you can't live five months without alcohol?)

MemberMember
(@card27)

Posted : 01/19/2013 6:36 pm

Congrats on being on Accutane and I'm sure it will give you the results you aim for. You definitely seemed prepared and aware of the risks of taking it.

I, myself have been on Accutane twice and it cured me perfectly the first time but the acne came back slowly after a few months so I started my second course a year after that and finished last July. However I still get some pimples buts its now light and extremely persistant. I was one of those rare cases but now It doesn't bother me so much. Hopefully it cures you for good cause you're already in your 20's.

What helped the red marks for me at least was moisturizing. Keeping the skin moist help heal my skin to almost perfect condition. Drinking water too but you are already aware of that too lol. It's still debatable about the depression but I never got depressed when I took both courses but I guess it could be different for other users. Body aches did happen and chapped lips too but that's all my side effects so I guess i dodged a bullet.

Try to also keep acne off your mind and think of other stuff too. Let the medicine do it's work so just relax.

Good luck man!

MemberMember
(@user74659)

Posted : 01/19/2013 8:27 pm

I do agree with this quote by SanLosAng:

you will get to the point where you think "this ain't gonna work for me"... you will think you have scars and that you are ugly. It's a battle, you need to win it, don't let depressing thoughts conquer your mind, be certain that Accutane will work, just say it to yourself everyday, try to keep enjoying life while on it, and that's it.

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 01/19/2013 11:42 pm

I also read that Accutane gets absorbed better with a fatty meal, but was told to eat a low fat diet because of high triglycerides. Which do they want? Lol. I'm trying to do the low fat, but that is hard. :(

MemberMember
(@waseem-abbas)

Posted : 01/20/2013 10:41 am

I was also told to eat fatty food while on accutane as it absorbs quickly with fats. But for the first month i ate healthy, fruits, vegs and some low carbs. I strongly agree to the comments which SanLosAng made. He is spot on. Just believe that this drug is the only cure for acne and this will definitly work for you. Forget about the scars and initial breakout, you already suffered this situation for quite sometime, so it is a matter of just 7-8 months and you will be all cleared.

I'm into my 4th month and left with red marks which are fading out gradually. Stay positive and hang in there. Goodluck

MemberMember
(@letsgetthisoverwith)

Posted : 01/20/2013 12:21 pm

Thanks for the words everybody. It's good to know that not only are there people that have gone all the way through with accutane, but there are people right in the middle and just beginning as well.

Although I am prepared to go through the "this ain't gonna work for me" time period, I am REALLY hoping that this stuff has the same effect on me as it did my brother. He took it a few years ago and said that not only did he not get an IB, but that it started working pretty quickly for him.

I'm into my 4th month and left with red marks which are fading out gradually. Stay positive and hang in there. Goodluck

MemberMember
(@letsgetthisoverwith)

Posted : 01/21/2013 10:24 am

Day 3

So today is the third day since I took my first accutane pill. I can't wait 'til I can add a zero to the end of that....or two. So far it's been the same old, same old. Surprise, I still have acne.

Really though, I have gotten a few pimples on my left cheek....and a few on my forehead....and a few near my left nostril....and can feel one coming in on my right cheek. Nothing terrible really. I don't think this is an IB yet. I think it probably has something more to do with stopping the use of Epiduo and Doxycycline.

Overall my face feels alright...not too much difference in dryness or in anything for that matter. I did get some head and shoulders last night to deal with the itchy scalp....not to mention I had a little bit of dandruff anyways.

I don't think there is much else to report on. I will take my fourth pill in about an hour after I eat breakfast.

I do have a question though! I really want to work out when I get back to school. Is there any reason I can't do this as long as my body feels up for it?

MemberMember
(@1234sam)

Posted : 01/21/2013 2:31 pm

Not looking to cause offence Sir, but Isn't that severe?

MemberMember
(@letsgetthisoverwith)

Posted : 01/22/2013 11:55 am

Day 4

Took pill #5 today. Definitely getting a break out at this point. I really wish I knew whether it was the accutane starting to work, or just a result of stopping Epiduo and Doxy. Much more stressed out today as classes have started back up. Going to class sucks in the first place, but it's much worse when I have to constantly think about my skin.

As far as side effects go, nothing much to say. My face has actually gotten less dry then it was at the beginning. My lips have not gotten any drier.

I'm starting to wish that I had started at a higher dose. Although the IB may have been worse, people usually see results faster right? Definitely having ups and downs right now. I'll wake up and think my face looks better, and then two hours later I'll think it looks terrible.

Not looking to cause offence Sir, but Isn't that severe?

MemberMember
(@annetossy)

Posted : 01/22/2013 1:38 pm

I just wanted to chime in on the alcohol thing. My doctor said drinking now and then was fine, in moderation. I had 2 drinks one night three weeks after I started and was fine (though I didn't drive just in case), and I had two drinks Saturday night, but that's been it. I haven't felt any different, and my blood levels have been fine.

If you feel more comfortable not drinking, that's up to you. I'm not a heavy drinker, but I won't turn down one glass of wine at a special event and my doctor said that was fine. Do what you feel most comfortable doing!

MemberMember
(@letsgetthisoverwith)

Posted : 01/23/2013 9:34 am

Day 5

Just took pill #6. The minor breakouts I've been having seem to be calming down a little bit. Nothing new today which is nice. I've been staying hydrated. I'm about to go to the gym so I hope the sweat won't do any harm.

Side effects are still pretty negligible. No dry lips as of yet, although I have not gone a day without using aquaphor at least 2-3 times. My face is still not drying out. I even stopped using the moisturizer because I would like the oiliness to go away. My forehead still gets very oily if I don't wash it for a while.

I did have what I believe was my first facial flushing/tane burn experience last night. My face felt hot and was red for about an hour or so. Sometimes I wonder if a red face would make my red marks less visible...but who knows.

Anyways, really hoping to see some progress in the next couple weeks. However, I know I'm on a very low dose so it might be a little longer than that before I see improvement. There is also a good chance that I haven't even begun my IB, but I'm trying to be optimistic.

Have a good day!

MemberMember
(@letsgetthisoverwith)

Posted : 01/24/2013 3:26 pm

Day 6

Making progress, at least in terms of the number of pills I have left to take! Tomorrow will be one week. It has seemed to drag very slowly.

So far, not much different in either direction. I've been getting new pimples, mostly on my forehead and a couple on my cheeks. No terrible breakouts as of yet though. I've been getting a weird kind of pimple...they're showing up right next to my nose and in clusters of three or four. They are quite small and more of what looks like blackheads or clogged pores. I am hoping that's the accutane pushing that stuff out but I really have no idea. Only one of them has turned into a real pimple.

As far as side effects go, I'm still not really having any. Maybe a little bit of joint soreness, but nothing terrible. My face feels a tiny bit drier today but that could definitely be a result of frigid temperatures up here in the northeast. For the most part though, my skin seems just as oily if not more oily than normal. I'm still washing just twice a day, but I would really like the oil production to slow down a little bit.

At this point I almost want the dry skin to come so I know that accutane is having SOME effect. Perhaps my dose is too low but I'll ride it out til Feb. 7th when I see my dermatologist again.

MemberMember
(@letsgetthisoverwith)

Posted : 01/25/2013 10:02 am

Day 7, 1 Week

I'm going to start updating only when I really have something to say. I've found myself on this site too often.

I have one Large nodule on my left cheek, and one new whitehead. On my right it's about the same. No improvements so far, been getting a couple new ones at least every other day if not every day. I used Epiduo last night on my forehead to see if that would calm things down, and in fact it did. I used it only on my forehead, temples, nose and the area surrounding my nose. It seemed to work pretty well. I am wondering if Epiduo just wasn't meant for my cheeks. That is where I broke out the worst on Epiduo, and my forehead and interior face(area surrounding my nose) which are the oiliest parts of my skin, were relatively clear.

I know I have not given accutane nearly enough time yet. I called my derm and they said they would probably up my dosage on the 7th if my blood work is good. Looking forward to that, and to seeing results!

No dry skin yet, no other side effects to report.

Have a good day!

MemberMember
(@lookitsme)

Posted : 01/25/2013 1:38 pm

I would be extremely careful using any sort of topicals while on Accutane. Even though you may not be having any side effects now, that could change all tomorrow! And the Epiduo is only going to expedite it in my opinion.

Seems I only started a day before you too, and very similar situation as well :)

Hooray for Accutane, huh? Hah!

MemberMember
(@chiptharipp)

Posted : 01/25/2013 5:29 pm

yoooo man ive been on accutane(amnesteem) for around fifteen days now. unfortunately i suffered a nasty ib..which shocked my derma because my acne wasnt severe to begin with just persistant. buttt the good news is that if you do suffer a wild initial breakout, your derm will probably just put you on a n oral steroid like prednizone for a month(like me). annndt this steroid surpresses and calms it all down in around 24 to 48 hours and bam your good. no worries mang shit happens. cant wait o be done tho lol

MemberMember
(@letsgetthisoverwith)

Posted : 02/02/2013 12:50 pm

Day 15

Sooooo here we go. This is my two week update. Been experiencing an unfortunate breakout on my left cheek. On my right cheek I didn't have anything new for almost a week...until I woke up this morning and can feel a couple of bumps forming.

The pimples on my left cheek are all a result of a line of clogged pores that I had prior to starting accutane...so I'm hoping the accutane is just pushing those out. I really really am trying to stay positive. I know there will be some breaking out before it gets better but I just hope my dosage ends up being right. I'm still on 20mg but have a derm appointment on Thursday the 7th, so perhaps I will get bumped up then.

I feel like there is a right dosage for everyone and it's difficult to find a balance between having a does that's too low, and thus will take longer to clear everything out of your skin and to reduce oil production, and having a dose that's too high that causes a severe IB and bad side effects.

Speaking of side effects I do have a dry bottom lip. But that is the lip that I always apply the most aquaphor to so I have stopped using aquaphor to see if that's actually causing the problem. My face still hasn't gotten very dry....there are times when I get out of the shower when it's kind of dry, but I still haven't had to use moisturizer as the flaking is pretty much nonexistent. I've still been working out almost everyday, taking fish oil pills, vitamin C, a multivitamin, and ibuprofen. No unusual side effects as of yet(i.e. joint pain, fatigue, etc.).

I just really feel like this month has been kind of a waste being on 20mg. Although I told my derm I wanted a low dose to start, I feel like I'm just delaying my real IB. I hope that is not the case when I get bumped up next week.

Here are some pictures from week two. As you can see my left cheek is breaking out relatively badly....but not TERRIBLE. My right cheek doesn't have any visible actives at the moment...but I expect one or two tomorrow based on the bumps I felt. I'm really hoping my scars can heal over time!!!!!!

post-196512-0-82204000-1359827371.png

post-196512-0-18648200-1359827387.png

Talk to y'all soon. Wish me luck!

ALSO, does anyone have any ideas as to why my left side is always worse than my right? It has always been this way. I don't sleep on either side, I sleep on my back so I don't touch my face to my pillow. I don't touch my cell phone to either cheek. I don't really TOUCH either cheek except for with toilet paper to dab oil. WHY!?

post-196512-0-82204000-1359827371.png

post-196512-0-18648200-1359827387.png

MemberMember
(@letsgetthisoverwith)

Posted : 02/07/2013 6:00 pm

Week 3

Went to the dermatologist today. It looks like this is where things get serious! I am both nervous and a little bit excited. Starting tomorrow I will alternate between 40mg and 80mg on a daily basis. If that goes well and I don't have a major flare, then I will start to take 80mg every day. At least I know that if something is going to happen, it's gonna happen now.

Skin condition has not changed much in the last week. I've been getting some new pimples, mostly on the left cheek again. My right cheek LOOKS relatively clear. However, I have one LARGE bump that I can feel underneath the skin. I am pretty nervous about it and don't know what it is. It's not very visible, and it's only a little bit red, and it doesn't really hurt at all. I have iced it a few times with little results. Anyone have any info on what this could be? It doesn't really feel like a pimple, as it doesn't hurt. It's just a LARGE, painless lump.

I'll keep you guys updated on my first few days with the new dosage...wish me luck!

Here are the pics from week 3:

post-196512-0-21044500-1360277983.png

post-196512-0-20144000-1360277995.png

post-196512-0-21044500-1360277983.png

post-196512-0-20144000-1360277995.png

MemberMember
(@needadvice124)

Posted : 02/07/2013 10:31 pm

Looking better already keep updated with the pictures!

MemberMember
(@letsgetthisoverwith)

Posted : 02/18/2013 8:30 pm

Week 4.5

Sorry I'm a little late here with this update. I am basically 4 days into week 5. I have now been taking 80mg/day for about 1 week and 2 days. I have definitely gotten drier, but not to the point where I've had to moisturize yet. I have to constantly apply aquaphor because my lips are always peeling and extremely dry. I have also noticed some joint pain, but nothing too bad.

Now for the good stuff. My face has been doing pretty well, breakouts seem to be slowing down, and although I have 6 or 7 active right now, I'm pretty happy with how things are going so far. Here are some updated pictures...tell me what ya think!

post-196512-0-00785900-1361237182.png

post-196512-0-37772900-1361237202.png

ALSO, I wanted to add something that I think people should know. For about the past three weeks I have not popped ANYTHING. I have avoided touching my face at all costs and I think that is benefiting me a lot!

post-196512-0-00785900-1361237182.png

post-196512-0-37772900-1361237202.png