Notifications
Clear all

Retin-A Micro Gel So Expensive!

MemberMember
(@nubinet)

Posted : 01/17/2013 10:31 pm

So my doctor prescribed me Ortho Retin-A Micro .04% Pump 50mg. I went to pick it up today and it cost me $488 with my insurance. Is it normally this expensive? If so, I don't know how I will be able to afford this on a monthly basis.

MemberMember
(@someclearday)

Posted : 01/19/2013 11:53 am

Omg I've never heard it being that expensive! Mines like $50 with insurance and maybe $200 without? Maybe try a different pharmacy

MemberMember
(@shannongre)

Posted : 01/20/2013 6:02 pm

That makes no sense - it cost me $40 bucks at Costco. I don't have insurance - so that was just the price.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/21/2013 1:00 am

So my doctor prescribed me Ortho Retin-A Micro .04% Pump 50mg. I went to pick it up today and it cost me $488 with my insurance. Is it normally this expensive? If so, I don't know how I will be able to afford this on a monthly basis.

Option 1) Get a prescription savings card and ask your pharmacy to run your prescription under that card instead of your insurance.

One card is: http://simplesavingscard.com/

Option 2) Fax your prescription to a legitimate Canadian pharmacy and have them fill it for $30-$40 and mail it to you. Yes this is legal provided you have a doctor's prescription.

But yes, Retin A Micro is extremely expensive. My insurance covers 0% of medications, and for the smaller tube (not the pump) it is $237 for just a couple ounces.

MemberMember
(@nubinet)

Posted : 01/21/2013 1:12 am

Option 1) Get a prescription savings card and ask your pharmacy to run your prescription under that card instead of your insurance.

Option 2) Fax your prescription to a legitimate Canadian pharmacy and have them fill it for $30-$40 and mail it to you. Yes this is legal provided you have a doctor's prescription.

But yes, Retin A Micro is extremely expensive. My insurance covers 0% of medications, and for the smaller tube (not the pump) it is $237 for just a couple ounces.

I did pick up my prescription at Costco by the way and it cost me that much. Is it the micro version that you purchased, shannongre?

Green Gables, you are f'in awesome. Just found an online Canadian pharmacy that sells the brand name 50mg pump for $55 USD. I'm just a bit irked now.. I could have gotten 8-9 pumps for the price I paid! UGH! The manufacturer is Valeant Pharmaceuticals though.. instead of Ortho Dermalogics. Multiple manufacturers make the brand name version I'm assuming?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/22/2013 2:51 am

I did pick up my prescription at Costco by the way and it cost me that much. Is it the micro version that you purchased, shannongre?

Green Gables, you are f'in awesome. Just found an online Canadian pharmacy that sells the brand name 50mg pump for $55 USD. I'm just a bit irked now.. I could have gotten 8-9 pumps for the price I paid! UGH! The manufacturer is Valeant Pharmaceuticals though.. instead of Ortho Dermalogics. Multiple manufacturers make the brand name version I'm assuming?

Yes it is manufactured by multiple providers

MemberMember
(@rob_x_22)

Posted : 03/03/2013 7:41 pm

alldaychemist 3$ a tube

MemberMember
(@notmeatall)

Posted : 03/04/2013 8:11 am

The pump is way more expensive. The gel in a tube is cheaper.